Radio Works But No Sound. - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 04:42 PM

Trader Score: 0 reviews
My friend's '99 Taurus was doing the same thing. In his case, the antenna somehow came unplugged in the trunk. You probably checked that already but if you didn't I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth. Good luck, it'll be interesting to know the final solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

yea still no luck so far, checked the antenna again with no change. Thanks for all the recommendations though. Atleast I know I'm not missing anything. So most likely the RCU then? I've already taken the radio out so atleast I should be able to hook my CCFL's tomorrow with plenty of room. Anyone have any other ideas of what's wrong with my radio or have any suggestions on mods and what I should do while it is out. I wish I could get a huge screen in there and still be able to control everything the stock one did only is be touchscreen though. That would be cool.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Ok so now this gets weird, I got the new radio put it in and guess what it still didn't work, so I put the old one back in, just because its way cleaner than the replacement I got, and it still didn't work. No suprise there. But I guess I accidently left the radio on when I shut the car off even though it doesn't work. Then when i turned the car back on after work, the it was working. Of course I didn't even notice it so I turned it off so I could make a phone call. Then when I got off the phone I turned it back on and it worked, still not really paying much attention to the fact. Then when I finally realized it I turned it up just to be sure I wasn't imagining it, and it was really workind. Then I turned it back down to a tolerable level, and it started only playing out of the right side speakers. So I shut it off to see if that would fix it and now it doesn't work again. Now does anyone have ideas?

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 12:17 AM

Chapter: Northeast

Quote:
Ok so now this gets weird, I got the new radio put it in and guess what it still didn't work, so I put the old one back in, just because its way cleaner than the replacement I got, and it still didn't work. No suprise there. But I guess I accidently left the radio on when I shut the car off even though it doesn't work. Then when i turned the car back on after work, the it was working. Of course I didn't even notice it so I turned it off so I could make a phone call. Then when I got off the phone I turned it back on and it worked, still not really paying much attention to the fact. Then when I finally realized it I turned it up just to be sure I wasn't imagining it, and it was really workind. Then I turned it back down to a tolerable level, and it started only playing out of the right side speakers. So I shut it off to see if that would fix it and now it doesn't work again. Now does anyone have ideas?
[/b]
Loose or corroded connectors at the RCU in the trunk? Did you ever check it? The leftmost connector has the power supply and all the speaker wiring. If the radio is changing channels etc, the middle connector is likely OK.

-- FinnSpeed --

My car: 2005 Volvo V50 T5 M FWD. Premium Audio, Climate pack, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 summers, Nokian RSi Winters.
Wife's car: 2004 Taurus SES Duratec. Euro modded exterior lamps, Infinity 6812cf speakers all round, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 225/45ZR17 94W summers, Nokian RSi winters. SHO Bros km/h gauge faces coming.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Yea I checked all the connectors and fuses, non were loose or blown. I guess I need to get some electronics cleaner and give that a shot, couldn't hurt.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 04:19 PM

You have a good idea there, somekind of electronic/contact cleaner. There's stuff you can buy that's called a "contact enhancer". We use one at work called Stabilant 22 but at $40.00 for a small bottle it's not one for the average home/car repair.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

It did the same thing tonight and I'm not completely sure yet what the problem is, this time when I turned it up it was fine, but when I shut if off I couldn't get it to turn back on. But I do have some terminal cleaner in my glove box for my battery when I was having connection issues before, is that safe to use. I figure it would but I'm not totally positive since my battery isn't quite as sensitive as a lil plastic connector.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 10:20 AM

I had an issue with my radio not as bad as this one but it may help some.

It ended up being a bad tweeter on the door pod. there was some sort of issue in the speaker itself that started to cause the whole left channel to fade out. Mostly the tweeter didnt work. I finally got a replacement at a car recycle yard. It helps if you have a multimeter you can test the resistance of the speaker coils to see if you have a bad one.

Also, remove and replace the connectors a few times on the back of the headunit and RCU if you have not and see if that helps.

I thought I was going nuts with mine. I would pull the door pannel off and check the connection to the tweeter.. drive around and everything would be fine. Then I would put the panel back on and the next day the tweeter would not work again. I even cleaned the contacts with some sandpaper and same thing. Not sure what happened to it but I guess it decided to die that week.

I'm not sure if this was related to the tap issue I was having where the left channel was low output. It seems to work fine now although I think sometimes it is still not all there but it may be the tape.

I did find a Mach RCU at the yard and installed that.. but the gain was too high and where normally i would listen say.. at the half mark, it would be way down with only a few dots to be as loud. Also pickud up a lot more cell phone interference that the stock (as well as ipod harddrive noise) That alone would have made me take it back but it also had an issue with one of the channels sorta fading in and out with heavy bass..

Needless to say I took that back and am using the regular RCU still. Works fine for me.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to try to get take another look at everything after I get off work this afternoon, hopefully by 4, maybe I'll have a bit more luck with it. I guess while I'm at it I should go ahead and replace all my speakers since the new ones are all sitting in the back seat. I bet my 6.5" alpine type x ref's will sound pretty good when I get this problem taken care of.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Well I've done everything I can think of and and nothings worked so far. It still randomly plays music but after I shut it off it doesn't work again so I have no clue what's going one with it, I guess I'll just start putting in all my speakers and then take it in at some point if no one really knows whats going on. I've got all the speakers I need so I guess I should just go ahead and put them in whenever I get the chance. I'm still open to any suggestions though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page