Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Radio On Until Door Opened (retained Accessory Power)

20K views 54 replies 17 participants last post by  it'sthatcar 
#1 ·
I got the relay part down, but I also want it to turn off after 15 minutes, or when the battery gets low but not too low.

Relay looks like so:

Any ideas on how to add-in the timed or voltage sensing?

See less See more
#27 ·
i also am curious i noticed a couple months ago that the g3 only lets the windows, etc. run for about 30 seconds but the g4 will allow it all to work for a much longer period of time. 10 mins maybe would be perfect to just tap the radio pawer into this delay somehow

#28 ·
Your not POWERING the radio with it guys. You are Signaling it. It has it's own Operating voltage circuit.

QUOTE (sable23 @ Oct 24 2009, 08:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=762166
i also am curious i noticed a couple months ago that the g3 only lets the windows, etc. run for about 30 seconds but the g4 will allow it all to work for a much longer period of time. 10 mins maybe would be perfect to just tap the radio pawer into this delay somehow[/b]
Gen3 only has windows working for 30 seconds?
Are the vanity mirrors working for 15 mins? roof opening panel?

#29 ·
powering, signalling same thing lol the radio is being turned on/powered up. but i get what your saying.

all three of the gen 3's we have didnt have a sunroof so im not sure on how long that worked on the g3's but the power windows were only like 30 seconds or a minute at most. i like how my g4 has it on for a much longer time. it would be awesome to have the radio be hooked into that circuit one way or another so it is on untill the doors are opened.

#31 ·
i just went out to verify that the window circuit is shut off after about 30 seconds unfortunatly my moms 98 does not have lighted vanity mirrors... both of our old 97's had them though... but i dont think i ever noticed if they went out at about the same time or not, i dont use the mirrors often.

#32 ·
QUOTE (thesavo @ Oct 24 2009, 05:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=762165
No wasting time with door triggers.

This seems to be a lot more complicated that it should be.
The windows work for 15min when the key is off, or until door ajar,

It's called the Battery Saver Relay
There is a Dark Green wire Coming from the Internal fuse panel.
It; connected to a 10a fuse. F.26 in a n '03 (same one I have problems with. oh well) any way this is what cuts off the power windows, vanity mirrors, and roof opening panel after 15mins after key is removed.

Use this as the trigger for your radio on relay. Outatyme will confirm this i am sure of it.

http://www.taurusclub.com/wiki/index.php/2..._Wiring_Diagram[/b]
So, this just basically removes the ICP from the accessory circuit so that it is always getting 12 volts which is controlled by the relay and the battery saver?

#33 ·
I didn't even think about that. I like this. Using the battery saver as REPLACEMENT to the key accessory. Great idea alex. I like it. Because now you don't have to worry about back feeding power to the accessory.

#35 ·
QUOTE (thesavo @ Oct 26 2009, 03:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=762600
Diagram!
Items in red get added by you!
This applies to Gen 4

Gen 3 will need something else.

Also. Check your map lights gen3s how long do they work before delay is up?[/b]
Wow! Thank you so much! The PDF makes sense to me, I gotta try this out. Not to keep be a bother, but what do you think would be the best/easiest always hot to tap into?

And what type of relay should I get? I'm new to this and I want to know as much as I can before moving forward. I was going to PM this but I figured if anybody else may have the same type of questions it'd save a step. And thank you so much again for posting this, its such a help! :)

#36 ·
QUOTE (daveromanjr @ Oct 26 2009, 03:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=762603
Wow! Thank you so much! The PDF makes sense to me, I gotta try this out. Not to keep be a bother, but what do you think would be the best/easiest always hot to tap into?

And what type of relay should I get? I'm new to this and I want to know as much as I can before moving forward. I was going to PM this but I figured if anybody else may have the same type of questions it'd save a step. And thank you so much again for posting this, its such a help! :)[/b]
  • You are welcome
  • I would tap the Cigar lighter or 12Volt AUX outlet. They are always hot.
  • A typical 5 pin relay, you could get away with a 4 pin. since you are using the Normally Open @ relay rest.
  • Pics, below
Autozone
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/a...ilot+Automotive

Advance
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wc...3_A|GRP2044____

4 pin and 5 pin are the same. except 5 pin has Normally Closed @ rest. which allows current to pass when the relay is off.

#37 ·
That's not the right wire. We need the power window wire. Sorry guys.
Atm this will keep the radio on even if the door is open.
I have to look at my diagram again. Should be dark green but I can't be certain.

#38 ·
Maybe tap the moonroof power wire???

#39 ·
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Oct 26 2009, 08:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=762700
Maybe tap the moonroof power wire???[/b]
I thought I was looking @ the windows diagram. Your want a 12AWG Lightblue / Black wire.
C270c (Top CJB connector)

This powers the windows.. I will correct the diagram.

I don't have my car available, so I can't check it.

Moon roof if installed is same lightblue black only 14 awg not 12.

#40 ·
QUOTE (thesavo @ Oct 26 2009, 12:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=762600
Diagram!
Items in red get added by you!
This applies to Gen 4

Gen 3 will need something else.

Also. Check your map lights gen3s how long do they work before delay is up?[/b]
I'm looking at this diagram again and the way it's set up looks like there's no need for the relay. You have the always hot wire for the relay's signal so it's always going to be closed so the battery saver is controlling the ICP directly.

#41 ·
^^^^^^^ +1

The relay is always energized according to the diagram. All this does is throw an always on 100 mA or so load on the battery, which could drain it way down if the car sits for a week or so without being started.

The diagram of the relay isnt quite right...... the relay coil should go to the delay relay output (LG/OG) and ground. The relay contacts should go to +12V hot at all times and to the ICP BK/PK wire.

#46 ·
I found the problem.
I Should swap the relay around.
Also use pin 17 C270c. Not pin 12.

Swapping the relay will sense power on the accessory relay not provide power to it, as in diagram.
Also not the battery saver relay.

The relay will then provide 12v to radio. This doesn't power the radio, the radio senses 12 v and thinks the key is in run or accessory.

Accessory relay is energized when in accessory, run. And 15 mins when in OFF After turning to OFF with out open any door.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#47 ·
What is the need for diagrams or relays? I got this mod finished simply by running one wire between the blue/white moonroof power circuit in the right A-pillar to the power supply wire for the ICP...

Ten minutes delayed stereo power after the ignition-off, or until a door is opened.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.