The Infamous Gen4 Aftermarket Stereo Install W/ Airbag Mod - Page 3 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 66 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 11:29 PM

Trader Score: 0 reviews
could someone do an update on the pictures? I am looking to do an install real soon... I need something to go off of...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 66 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 04:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to BrianDye Send a message via MSN to BrianDye
I wanna see pics of the member who said he mounted his controls in the center console! I would love todo that, and have a double din capability

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast

OP,
Apparently, some key photos are gone and the remaining instruction is incomplete. Is the mod basically connecting the 10K resistor between Brown/Blue and Red/Yellow wires?
Thanks.

EDIT: According to PM from OP, the mod is connecting a 10k resistor between Brown/Blue and Red/Yellow wires.

06 Taurus SE

post #24 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 09:53 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Eastern Canada

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Okay, so what if someone wanted to add their own LED. Let's say, for example, they wanted to have that light on, no reason why, just like it.

Would an LED be wired in place of the resistor?

VBulletin Still Sucks.

Fun fact, Toyotas will never die. NEVER DIE.
This fact brought to you by the R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company
post #25 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Devoted Member

QUOTE (TaurusKev @ Jan 25 2010, 10:53 AM)
Quote:
Okay, so what if someone wanted to add their own LED. Let's say, for example, they wanted to have that light on, no reason why, just like it.

Would an LED be wired in place of the resistor?[/b]
I don't know why we need the 10k resistor or how the air bag circuit is designed.

Assuming the two wires have 12V between them, you cannot put an LED directly between them. Too high a current will blow LED up. You need 500 ohm resistor (or slightly higher) in series with LED to limit the current to 20 mA ot slightly lower.

But again, not knowing what the 10k resistor is for, I cannot recommend LED.

06 Taurus SE
post #26 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 06:26 PM

I had gotten a resistor with the American International kit. The installation instructions (which was an extra, loose page inserted into the actual instruction) doesn't describe the type of resistor that came with my kit. In other words, the instructions for the airbag bypass don't match the parts supplied.

The resistor that came with the American International kit is a black block with four wires (in two pairs). One of the pairs are a larger gauge red and black wire. I used a multimeter to find the resistance and these wires gave me a reading of between 35 to 24 Ohm. The other two wires are both black. And they have 3, 2-pin harnesses at the end in a series. Again, there are three plugs (2-pin harness) in total on the smaller gauge black wires. I measured the resistance on these wires and my multimeter was reading 35K to 24K Ohms.

I assume that the wires with the 2-pin harnesses on them would be the correct ones to hook up to the brown/blue and red/yellow wires. But what the heck would the larger gauge red and black wires be for? Should I just tape these off?

Thanks.
post #27 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 09:26 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to jfryan
I was looking on Crutchfield, and the adapter they have already has the airbag light/wires on it.....
04+ adapter

2004 SES - Duratec

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #28 of 66 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 06:53 PM

QUOTE (Jerry R. @ Mar 7 2010, 09:26 PM)
Quote:
I was looking on Crutchfield, and the adapter they have already has the airbag light/wires on it.....
04+ adapter[/b]
Thanks, but what you see attached in the photo gets hooked up to the rear defroster switch. I was sent two of these with my kit, it confused me. Ah well... I got a spare thingey now.
post #29 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 12:51 PM

Year: 2005
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Send a message via MSN to goodbrosuit
Could someone explain to me what this mod is for? I've read through this and, um, I don't get it.
post #30 of 66 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Southern

QUOTE (goodbrosUIT @ Apr 24 2010, 10:51 AM)
Quote:
Could someone explain to me what this mod is for? I've read through this and, um, I don't get it.[/b]
'04-'07 models have an air bag light integrated into the radio's control panel. '00-'03 models do not have an air bag light in the control panel. Back a few years ago, there wasn't a kit for '04+ models so people had to use the '00-'03 dash kit for aftermarket radios. Because the computer did not see the air bag light, it would disable the passenger side air bag. This mod brings the air bag functionality back if you use an '00-'03 dash kit on an '04-'07 model.

[
] - [
]
Ford Lincoln Mercury Sable? A personal conveyance named after its inventor, an
assassinated ruler, a character from Greco-Roman myth and a small furry mammal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page