Aftermarket Head Unit Install, Gen Ii Sho - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 1Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Crazy Devoted Member

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to godspunk32
Hopefully we can get this stickied because I had to search everywhere on SHOforum to get this information.

Today I had to install an aftermarket cd player in a Gen II SHO for Dan's (DPNovitszky) friend. I told Dan last night that they would need to stop at Best Buy to get a wiring harness. When they got there this morning, there were three harnesses, where there would normally only be two. Dan told me that the extra was for a bypass, but didn't know exactly what it was for. I wired up the power, ground, and constant leads, but didn't know which harness to use for the speakers. I went outside, and took a look at the old unit that was in there (JBL cassette). The back of the unit had the old standard Ford power harness, and had a small, squarish harness, that I took to be the speaker harness. There were also three harnesses in the dash. The standard Ford power, a standard Ford speaker harness, and the speaker harness that was connected to the JBL unit. I decided to use the standard Ford speaker harness, as I was assuming that using that harness would bypass the JBL amplifiers in the trunk. I wired it up, plugged it in, and got power, but no sound. After checking connections a half-dozen times, I took a look at the amps in the trunk to see if I had to jumper two harnesses together back there. It seemed to me that the squarish looking harness fed into the JBL amp, with another harness connected on the other side of it. Additionally, there was a harness coming from the second amp, which controls the subwoofer.

At this point, I had no idea what to do. I checked the TCCA to see if anyone knew, but neither Rudy nor Paul Nimz knew what to do. I then surfed the Audio forum at SHOforum for awhile, and saw that people were saying that you simply needed to disconnect the aforementioned three harnesses in the trunk. Well, we did that, and voila! The cd player gave decent sound from the stock speakers, and the install was all but finished.

JR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 05:18 PM

I will scan the harness iring in. It is the diagram of the speaker harness coming out of the amp. YOu hvae to bypass the amp entirely. I do not know what you did to bypass the amp, while that was still plugged in, and how you used the stock harness with the still beting plugged into the factory amp...
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Crazy Devoted Member

Ummm...I didn't.

I used the bypass harness, and disconnected all harnesses from the amps. I did not use the original harness.

JR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Crazy Devoted Member

Bump...

PINNED TOPIC?

JR

03TarRob likes this.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 11:46 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Send a message via AIM to rudedog Send a message via MSN to rudedog Send a message via Yahoo to rudedog
Good that you got it ironed out JR, I was still actually talking to people, just had not gotten any help yet.

Rudy Heinemann Jr.

May 2008 Car of The Month/Car of the Year 2008

February Car of the Month T.S.O.C.
March Car of The Month T.C.C.A.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 12:18 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Southern

Actually, do you mind doing a write-up for the wiki?

[
] - [
]
Ford Lincoln Mercury Sable? A personal conveyance named after its inventor, an
assassinated ruler, a character from Greco-Roman myth and a small furry mammal.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Crazy Devoted Member

I will do a wiki also, but I'd like to get this pinned, because most people will look at the pinned topics before they look at the wiki. It's much more visible.

Also, mind bumping up my tech bulletin count?

JR

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Crazy Devoted Member

Bump...pin?

JR

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 12:51 PM
mwt
Crazy Devoted Member

Patience JR

Mike

"If you're a fan of getting into fat girls' pants, Dave Matthews Band CDs are the greatest invention since a ham on a fishing pole.

If I had known there was going to be a test I would have studied

94gl Vulcan totalled 4-01-04
99 LX FFV-purchased 4-17-04 totalled 5-17-06 untotalled on 9-2-07 and back on the road
New Paint coming soon
2000 SES Duratec

2000 SEL Duratec this thing has everything but a spoiler
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 01:15 PM
Devoted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jan 1 2006, 01:15 PM
Bump...pin?

JR
We both know no one looks at pinned threads...

Current Ride: 2004 Chevrolet Impala SS Indianapolis Motor Speedway Edition - #1752 of 4088
-3.8L SC Engine - 240 hp, 270 tq, 87,000 miles
- PFC front pads|Silverstar Ultra Headlights & High Beams|K&N CAI|Optima Redtop Battery|17"x7.5" Sort Edition F7 Rims|Kumho Escta SPT Tires

Old Ride: 1998 Taurus SE Sport with the Duratec 122k miles - October 2006 COTM
K&N Filter|JVC KD-G300|2 10" Lightning Audio Subs|450W Lightning Audio Amp|Silverstars|PFC Pads, Duralast Rotors (Rear)|EBC Greenstuff Pads and Duralast Rotors (Front)|Hadyen Tranny Cooler|Pioneer 2-way 6"x8" Speakers|Polk Aduio 6.5" components|KYBs w/ SHO Springs|23mm Rear Swaybar|Gen III SHO Wheels w/ Ponteza G009s|SFCs|FSTB|SHO Bros High Flow Y-pipe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page