Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oakland, CA
Chapter: West Coast
Model: Ford Taurus Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6
Rep Power: 0
Yup, another wheel fitment question
EDIT: I haven't been thinking much lately. I found my answer by going back to the search, looking for "largest wheel" and "largest tire." This should fit without a problem.
I know that these are one of the most common questions. I've read through a bunch of previous posts, but so many of these are different because of the variables. I've learned more than I've ever wanted to about offset in the last couple of days but I figure if it doesn't come in handy for me, it'll allow me to help the next person.
I'm hoping some of you that have extensive experience will chime in.
99 Taurus SE Wagon
- Currently has factory 6Jx15 ET42 wheels with 205/65-15 tires, total height 25.5", tire width of 8.1"
- I believe there was an optional 6.5Jx16 ET46 with 215/55R16s total height 25.3", -0.8% than the 15s, tire width of 8.5", +0.36" more tire inside, 0.04” more outside.
- I am looking at some 7.5Jx17 ET52.5 wheels and putting on 225/50-17s total height 25.9", +2.4%. than the 15s, tire width of 8.9", +0.81" more tire inside.
Here's what I know:
- 15” x 6” wheel, centerline is 3”
- Offset is +42 mm / 1.65” closer to the outside than the center
- Amount of the wheel to the inside is 4.65”
- Amount of the wheel to the outside is 1.35”
- 16” x 6.5” wheel, centerline is 3.25”
- Offset is +46 mm / 1.81” closer to the outside than the center
- Amount of the wheel to the inside is 5.06”, +0.41" farther in than the 15s
- Amount of the wheel to the outside is 1.44” +0.09" farther out than the 15s
- 17” x 7.5” wheel, centerline is 3.75”
- Offset is +52.5 mm / 2.07” closer to the outside than the center
- Amount of the wheel to the inside is 5.82” +1.17" farther in than the 15s
- Amount of the wheel to the outside is 1.68” +.97" farther out than the 15s
I believe, while only a small amount, the 17s will be taller as I'm not having the bead surface curled in as much as they are currently.
I'm seeking advice on rubbing and clearance as well as running the higher offset. I have new springs and struts up front and new shocks in the rear. I don't think it will be an issue with any height clearance but let me know if you believe otherwise. I will also be doing a 4 wheel alignment when this is done.
Thanks so much.
EDIT: I had the wrong number for the amount of the wheel to the outside with the 17 inch rim. It will be 0.33” farther out.
This is Blüe Longroof.
Sent from some little thing I hear voices from.
Last edited by mcsteven; 02-02-2019 at 09:44 PM.