post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Upgrade 2006 Taurus SE to SEL?

I've have a 2006 Taurus SEL that I had to retire recently due to engine failure caused by my stupidity (that's another story). To ease the pain of separation (and to avoid getting rid of hundreds of dollars worth of spare parts and tow hitch) I purchased another '06 Taurus at a decent price but it is an SE model. In finding that the SE is minus many of the features I liked about the SEL, my thoughts turned to transferring what I could off of its predecessor to upgrade as much as I could without rewiring the whole car. My basic question would be, how much wiring do the two models share? My initial target is the rear-view mirror which is auto-dimming in the SEL and just a manual flip tab in the SE. I see two small wire harnesses and I'm guessing that one may have to do with the directional compass display in the instrument panel of the SEL. I'm not holding out a lot of hope for the compass direction in the vacuum florescent display of the SE unless connecting the external hardware causes it to magically appear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 06:40 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2003
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 56 reviews
IIRC, there is some wiring in the passenger side A pillar where you can hook up the mirror. All I remember is the black wire is the ground. It's been a long time ago....

The compass won't show on the SE flor display.

Heated mirrors might be plug and play.

CD changer in the trunk would switch over no problem.

If you had the mach system in your SEL, the amp will be plug and play but the mach tweeters will have to wired in to the lower door speakers.

I have an extra mach amp if you need one.

4 Taur Family:
98 Comfort DOHC
00 SE
03 SEL Premium DOHC
04 SES Sport DOHC

2003 SEL Premium
Every available factory option
September 2009 Car of the Month

Dealing in Mach Audio Systems for over 10 years with perfect feedback. I'm happy to answer any/all questions.
I have many very satisfied club members!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2006
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Garage
Thanks for the input. I had a feeling there was more to the compass than I thought, although I could switch instrument panels if that makes the difference provided that doesn't impact the odometer. I had forgotten about the heated mirrors, that would be nice to have. I'll swap the rv mirror out and at least have the dimming feature at the very least.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 10:14 AM

Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Year: 2005
Model: Mercury Montego

Garage
The mileage is on the speedo cluster, so if you want to swap for the compass, you would loose the accurate miles.
durasel likes this.

Brian - Carpe Diem

2005 Mercury Montego 52k
2004 GMC Envoy XUV 182k
2001 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 120K
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2019, 03:26 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2001
Model: Mercury Sable

Garage
Trader Score: 1 reviews
You can check my old build thread, I did a lot of conversions on my old SE. Compass isnt simple due to how its wired and integrated into the SJB so I wouldnt bother with that. Auto dim rear view is mostly easy. I recommend getting the mirror harness with the plugs to make it easier. The mirror is just power and ground with a third pink wire for reverse lockout. I didnt bother with that since the nearest tap point is under the passenger seat. There is a grey plug under the passenger side a pillar trim piece for the dome light and sunroof if equipped but its always present. You tap into the green and black wires there iirc.
durasel likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page