what is the secret to removing the vent cover on the left dash top? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By holden

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
what is the secret to removing the vent cover on the left dash top?

ok Ive got a 2002 taurus, and when I removed the cover, the one end broke. OK. went to ford, it's a discontinued item. So off to the junk yard. Removed two very gently, both of them are broken also. I'm considering doing the baking soda/super glue treatment on the broken piece to secure it back in place. But is this something that needs to be removed a particular way? I put the flat head screwdriver on one end, and lightly pried it up, and pulled it out from there, no man handling. Or did I really just choose 2 cars that also had broken vent covers? I'm talking about the oval shaped cover that is only on the left (driver) side of the top of the dash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 09:25 PM

Garage
I know the OP posted this in 2018 but for what it's worth

- I had the same issue and one of my tabs was broken also - the one on the left.

I went to the junk yard and took 3 fingers into the opening on the vent and very slowly worked the vent out carefully.
These are all sun-backed cars 2003 through 2006 so I know you can do it again if you hit a new batch of cars in your local junk-yard.
(one of my favorite things to do weekly for 3 bucks is walk the yard)
I did this twice on two different Taurus cars and it worked ok.
Popped the new replacement in ok...

Good luck
sheila likes this.

Hmeister

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:27 AM

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2005
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Mine comes out easily with very little effort. I think I was wiping the dash one day, bumped it and it came loose. Nothing seemed broken and the plastic hasn't harden from the sun. Not to long ago I removed it using the same method as described by holden and had no problems in doing so. It also re-installs easily, which makes me think the vent isn't going in all the way and not fully engaging the clips.

2005 Taurus SE
Vulcan OHV Engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page