• 1 Post By Jeff K
  • 1 Post By MERCrunner

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2016, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Angry Gen 4 Peeling Paint

Have a 2004 Taurus in Medium True Blue Metllic with an apparent factory defect with the paint, as diagnosed by my favorite local body shop. The car has always been washed and waxed and taken care of...very glossy finish still, but, it's peeling badly.

The rear of the trunk lid was about 40% peeled off and I had it repainted. Now the left rear quarter is flaking off in large pieces, quickly. The body shop that did my trunk lid said it's a factory defect and did a great job painting the trunk but could not guarantee or warranty it.

I am preparing to go to Ford for some hopeful resolution...anyone have any experience with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2016, 02:00 PM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2005
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Good luck with Ford...... face it, you have a 13 year old car that has lived its live in the rust belt (assuming "northeast" is correct in your profile). Ford isnt going to care in the slightest.
jag1959 likes this.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Old 10-17-2016, 05:26 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff K View Post
Good luck with Ford...... face it, you have a 13 year old car that has lived its live in the rust belt (assuming "northeast" is correct in your profile). Ford isnt going to care in the slightest.
Of course Ford does not care. Most paints last well. I have 3, '03, '03,'02. All paint very good. However, I had '90 Taurus LX and gave it to my daughter in '01. She and hubby lived in a small town. Paint failed in months. Having been there, it is common in the town. I am making a "obvious" guess the cement plant in town, and one more to the west have something to do with paint. Point is, where you live and where the car has lived matter in paint survival.

Where I live, we used to have problems with dark streaks on light color cars. (silver frost and white). When the coal fired power plant closed to our west, that issue ended. No permanent damage but it was ugly.

-chart-

Old 10-17-2016, 08:43 PM
Devoted Member

Year: mult
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Very common on those years of Taurus and Crown Vic for them to peel. I have seen it often at work even on white cars that do not get so hot.

2006 Vulcan 64k GF daily driver
2003 Vulcan 92k My daily driver
2000 Vulcan 115k saved from the scrap yard
1991 3.8 207k drove to junk yard, 1988 Vulcan lost in divorce
2009 Impala 3.0 18k my nice car
1996 F250 Powerstroke my toy-pristine lots of mods
Old 10-18-2016, 06:14 PM
Play Nice or Don't Play

Year: 1998
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.4L Yamaha V8

It sucks but it is what it is. Even if it wasn't all that it should have been from the factory, peeling 12+ year old paint in the land of salt and sand probably isn't going to generate much of a response from any manufacturer. I am fanatical about the paint care on our vehicles, multicoat wax and sealant no less than every 6 months and I have been watching the well protected clear coat shedding itself from the roof of our Explorer for the past 3 years

Last edited by jag1959; 10-18-2016 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:12 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2001

Garage
Trader Score: 1 reviews
The body shop isn't wrong. Medium True Blue Metallic was a defective color. I have a suspicion Ford knew about it early on, which is why it was replaced with Windveil Blue a year later. But, the damage has been done. If you get 10 years out of that color, you did well. I think it had something to do with the base coat's adherence to the primer. Some bad chemistry with the ingredients of that color caused it to not set correctly and it flakes off.

Performance white had a similar problem if I recall, but not as severe.

Sorry about your luck :/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:11 AM

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 2004

Just joined here, so m seeing this post in 6/2019. I have same car/year/color with same problem. It's 15 years old now, so I'm not going to Ford with the problem. However, I'd like to give the car a cheap-but-adequate paint job. The paint is peeling on every panel, and is wearing off on the roof and hood.

In a case like this - where the paint peels off to the gray primer - I imagine a paint shop has to remove all the blue paint with a solvent spray or sandblasting. Does the process of removing all the old paint - not just painting over it - jack the price up to a ridiculous amount?
Old 06-27-2019, 06:04 PM

Year: 2004

If the problem lies with the factory paint not bonding with the primer, then it will need to be stripped off in it's entirety; including the primer. As you can guess, the time and materials to do this will be excessive and cost prohibitive. I have a similar problem with a 1975 Chevy Laguna S-3 in which the previous owner did a horse-s**t job of painting it himself. The paint and/or clear coat is bubbling off in blisters on the hood, top and trunk. I now am faced with the tedious task of stripping it down to bare metal myself before having it re-painted.
whatevah99 likes this.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:54 PM

Garage
OLD OP POST - but I will comment in case someone is interested.

DISCLAIMER: - This is a $500.00 car to me - be lucky to get $1000.00 even if I tried to sell

I have a 2003 Taurus Silver and took down the peeling paint to primer -
1. reshot new primer with a rattle can primer
2. 400 wet sand with soft sandblock and fixed any imperfections with glaze patch
3. shot base coat x4
4. used 2 stage clear and it's working beautifully

It can be done with rattle cans and I completed both bumpers. Starting the top of car next week. See pictures...

For what its worth this car has about 5 different repairs to it due to it was my hurricane car. I was a first responder for a major electric company during 2003 / 2004 / 2005 to 2019 hurricane seasons. This car has had all 4 sides damaged during hurricanes and/or a guy ran into the back bumper one day. So it has been through the war. All major mechanical service was completed by Ford and it's still going strong with 106k. It's a 500 dollar car to me but mechanically it runs perfectly. I put a cheap set of Douglas tires on today and it runs as good as my Q45. Very smooth ride. It does have the issue with the transmission that all these cars suffer from but I don't use the passing gear very much and usually drive using the cruise control. Tranny was rebuilt @ 60k when it gave out and still going strong at 106k.

I use a Festool DA sander with different sandpaper ratings. This sander works great...

Hmeister

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by holden; 07-14-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in