Thick white smoke after oil change - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Thick white smoke after oil change

So i have a 2013 Sho and i had a oil change done and before i could get out of the parking lot of the oil change place there was white smoke so thick i couldn't see the shop i just came out, by the time i pulled it back into the shop i had oil leaking from my tail pipes and no oil in the car. The idle is all jacked up now and there is a horrible binding sound when accelerating ( noticed on the drive home). From wat i can gather my engine is completely shot, is there anyone who can tell me something different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:27 AM

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2013
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

What did the dealer have to say? Or was it an oil change place? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense from just an oil change if it was fine prior to.
snosaint likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:10 AM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2005
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Hopefully the oil was not changed by one of those instant oil change places like Jiffy Lube, Firestone, Valvoline instant oil change, etc. In general the "mechanics" who work there know less about cars than my dog does. The web is full of many many thousands of complaints from those places destroying cars by forgetting to put in oil after draining the old oil out, WAY overfilling the crankcase, loose filters or drain plugs that leak all the oil out in a few miles, and that is if the even actually do the oil change at all. Even cases of coolant added to the brake MC, tranny fluid addred to the coolant bottle, draining the tranny instead of the crankcase and refilling the crankcase with oil, doubling the amount of oil in the crankcase, destroying the engine and transmission at the same time. They will NEVER take any responsibility for their screw ups.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:11 AM

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2013
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

First of all, why the hell would you drive it anywhere after seeing what you did. If you had literally zero oil in the engine, that's quite a bit for it to leak out, short of the oil change place forgetting to tighten the drain plug and it working itself out in short order. But then of course the puddle would be enormous which I'm sure you'd notice. My initial reaction would be clogged PVC valve, blown head gasket, cracked block/piston. I know it sounds stupid but not unheard of, have they not forgotten to put the new oil in? That would certainly roast your engine and whatever was left of the old oil could be forced thru shot seals/rings and out the tailpipe. Other than that, yea this does not sound like something that could be attributed to an oil change, I mean there's not a whole lot to f*** up here (other than what Jeff K mentions above).
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Ok this is what i needed thanks guys but a lille back story to tje car is it has about 85,000 mileson it and it ran just fine with no major issues other than i just found out that my car was misfiring (it was something that just started happening and tge code told me which one it was) which really only happened under full throttle but to be clear I didnt leave, I lightly accerated doing about 5 miles and hr out of a express oil place (first mistake was going there) and allowed the car to roll up to the end of the parking lot so there was no smoke. It was at the point of acceleration to merge into traffic that the pillows of smoke came pouring out of my tailpipes completely blocking out everything behind me. Needless to say thats when i turned around and went back of course.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

I took it to for and when they pulled down just the exhaust mufflers and pipes oil was pouring out they put a drip pan down and was able to fill it which is funny because when i pulled back into the oil express place after i first noticed the problem they told me that the reason there was no oil in the car is because my skid plate was acting as a bowl and holding all of that oil up under my car, i guess they thought i was dumb. They took no responsibility at all and told me to sue them which is how i ended up at ford. They think the whole engine is bad as well as both turbos even though the car doesnt over heat, but it shakes while accelerating, it is in limp mode i guess and it drained all the oil again ecen after they refilled the oil before i took it to ford.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 04:01 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2006
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Bad turbo shaft seals will dump oil into inter cooler and or exhaust manifold.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 02:20 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2001
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Trader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automender12345 View Post
Bad turbo shaft seals will dump oil into inter cooler and or exhaust manifold.

Yep, and this is somewhat common with the SHO turbos, especially around 100K miles. It's odd you had no problems until an oil change though. Maybe they used the wrong weight and it's accelerating an already significant leak.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

So do you think i can try to save this motor
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM

Year: 02
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Garage
Have the Ford dealer replace the engine and continue the lawsuit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in