Thick white smoke after oil change - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 02:35 PM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2005
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
^^^^^ Agreed.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 03:42 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2006
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Sounds like the turbo shaft seals are blown and that will also cause a misfire. My daughter was looking at a BMW that had a 1/4 inch thick CarFax and it had pages of misfire reports and new sparkplugs. When you started the engine it pumped out smoke, then cleared up. It was only two years old but turbo seals were bad. Oil will accumulate in the intercooler and you needed to open the throttle to blow it clean but oil goes into engine and fouls sparkplugs. If it was starting to misfire it could have been the start of a seal failure. If exhaust side seal fails then it just pours into exhaust.

I guess they only thing that could cause a massive engine failure is running engine without oil for a short period of time. How do you prove that. And not you driving it home after the smoke came pouring out. Did they have to refill the engine after they dropped the exhaust pipe to drain oil?
What is the Ford people saying other than a bad engine? Low oil pressure, knocking? Why two bad turbos? Lack of oil. Was oil light on in your car?

Last edited by Automender12345; 06-29-2019 at 03:47 PM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 05:41 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2001
Model: Mercury Sable

Garage
Trader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automender12345 View Post
Sounds like the turbo shaft seals are blown and that will also cause a misfire. My daughter was looking at a BMW that had a 1/4 inch thick CarFax and it had pages of misfire reports and new sparkplugs. When you started the engine it pumped out smoke, then cleared up. It was only two years old but turbo seals were bad. Oil will accumulate in the intercooler and you needed to open the throttle to blow it clean but oil goes into engine and fouls sparkplugs. If it was starting to misfire it could have been the start of a seal failure. If exhaust side seal fails then it just pours into exhaust.

I guess they only thing that could cause a massive engine failure is running engine without oil for a short period of time. How do you prove that. And not you driving it home after the smoke came pouring out. Did they have to refill the engine after they dropped the exhaust pipe to drain oil?
What is the Ford people saying other than a bad engine? Low oil pressure, knocking? Why two bad turbos? Lack of oil. Was oil light on in your car?

Yup, my Fiat's turbo has a little bit of leakage when the bearings are cold. A little bit is generally no big deal, but eventually you need to address it by rebuilding the turbo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 06:28 PM
Technical Advisor

Year: 2005

Are the quality of turbos going down the toilet these days? The aftermarket made in the USA Garrett T3 on my 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe has over 100K miles on it, and I regularly boost it up to 24 psi with meth injection. Zero issues with the Garrett turbo since I put it on back in 2000 to replace the pathetic Warner ISHI turbo the car came with. No smoke out the tailpipes ever, and engine uses half a quart of oil every 3K miles. Engine runs better than new with 271K miles on the car.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 07:31 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2006

The Ford turbo are little peanut size and the scrolls are about two inches in diameter. You know the cool down and proper oil during engine shut down is critical. Spinning 50k to 150k rpms is scary to think and not have proper oil conditions. I seem to remember some turbos had preoilers and pressurized oilers to oil during spin down. Don't think Ford uses them. I think older turbos spin slower and were derivatives of turbo diesel era.

I liked turbos when I was younger but now I look at reliability and trouble free ride that can hit 200k without major influx of money. Can't see OEM turbos lasting the life of the car with those extreme rpms and temperatures.

Did GraySHO1 ever attempt an induction cleaning or did the express oil change place sell him one?

Last edited by Automender12345; 06-29-2019 at 07:46 PM.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 07:51 PM

Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Year: 2000

Garage
Sounds like it's burning water.
Check if someone put something in the fuel or oil. (Did you have the engine flushed and they forgot to take it out and put oil in?)

Why would you drive it out of the parking lot if you saw all that smoke after they did just an oil change?

Last edited by KillrRABBIT; 07-03-2019 at 07:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page