13+ motor swap in a 10-12 Taurus - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
13+ motor swap in a 10-12 Taurus

Hi I have a 2011 Taurus Sel with 310xxx miles and a blown head gasket. I’m looking to just replacing the entire engine rather than rebuilding it. I have found a lot of 13’ model year engines and beer of the 3.5 and was wondering if that would work in my 2011? Any thoughts if that’s a possibility without our too much tweaking? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 09:20 PM
Has It Been That Long?

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2010
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Bigger hassle than it's worth. 2013+ is when they went to TiVCT and made other changes.

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.
Jill: 2010 Taurus SEL, 3.5L Duratec, Sync.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 10:06 PM

Year: 2013

Garage
Hey, nothing is impossible. I'm sure it would fit, but the electrical architecture and the module network would probably get really upset. I'd recommend sticking with a 3.5 from the 2010-2012 years.
UKfordguy likes this.

2013 Taurus Limited - Sterling Grey Metallic | Adapted EcoBoost Turbos | PRE Tuning | Halos & Demon Eyes

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Ok that’s what I was figuring. Thanks for the responses! Just gonna look for an engine between those years. I’ve heard a lot of bad things about the water pumps going out often on these. What’s the mileage I should be aware of when getting an engine. Probably best just to change out the pump while I have the engine out of the car
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:55 AM

Chapter: Please Select a Region:
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.5L EcoBoost V6

Garage
Find the lowest mileage engine you can find, and still change out the water Pump. I think around the 85k miles + is the time the pump could fail or maybe a little later (mileage wise). Either way may as well change out the pump whilst the engine swap is being done.

2013 Taurus SHO with Performance Package: Air Raid Cold Air Intake: Magnaflow twin pipes with performance mufflers: De-baged. SCT X4 93 Canned Tune,( 3bar map sensor, 170 thermostat, gapped plugs to be installed), smoke tint headlights
Other rides:
- 1993 Kawasaki ZX7
- 1988 Dodge Dakota 3.9 V6 5sp RWD - restored
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralSparklez View Post
Hey, nothing is impossible. I'm sure it would fit, but the electrical architecture and the module network would probably get really upset. I'd recommend sticking with a 3.5 from the 2010-2012 years.
Hey Admiral, don't mean to hijack this thread, but a user could use your advice/expertise

https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/117...-possible.html
AdmiralSparklez likes this.

2013 Taurus SHO with Performance Package: Air Raid Cold Air Intake: Magnaflow twin pipes with performance mufflers: De-baged. SCT X4 93 Canned Tune,( 3bar map sensor, 170 thermostat, gapped plugs to be installed), smoke tint headlights
Other rides:
- 1993 Kawasaki ZX7
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 10:27 AM

Garage
So just out of curiosity, is the water pump something that WILL fail/leak or something that fails more often than not in these vehicles and a lot of us will actually be fine? Because after looking up how to replace it thinking it was easy, my anxiety rose at an alarming rate as I witnessed the engine being removed from the car and the timing components being removed to access the pump. Please Lord tell me my car will not nuke it's own coolant pump.

2013 Taurus Limited - Sterling Grey Metallic | Adapted EcoBoost Turbos | PRE Tuning | Halos & Demon Eyes
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 10:43 AM

Garage
Well I had a 2010 SHO with over 110k miles and had no issues with the water pump and so far my 13 is ok with 84k miles and all is good. It's not something that WILL fail, however if it does it can be catastrophic and if not caught in time it will mean a new engine. There are few users on here who have unfortunately suffered water pump failure.

My dealership quoted me $1300 for the replacement (that was with a little discount too). I was just curious, there is a user on here who did the job himself and he said it's a big job for sure. Damn internal water pumps....a la Chrysler 2.7's!

Other rides:
- 1993 Kawasaki ZX7
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 10:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKfordguy View Post
Well I had a 2010 SHO with over 110k miles and had no issues with the water pump and so far my 13 is ok with 84k miles and all is good. It's not something that WILL fail, however if it does it can be catastrophic and if not caught in time it will mean a new engine. There are few users on here who have unfortunately suffered water pump failure.

My dealership quoted me $1300 for the replacement (that was with a little discount too). I was just curious, there is a user on here who did the job himself and he said it's a big job for sure. Damn internal water pumps....a la Chrysler 2.7's!

Yeah it's not something I think I could tackle. I'm nearing 81k with no issues that I know of. At that point if the engine is out of the car, I'll just force a 5.0 or a 5.2 voodoo in the car like I've always dreamed of doing (I'm not kidding). Are there any signs or symptoms of pump failure to watch out for to tell whether or not it's time?

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 11:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralSparklez View Post
Yeah it's not something I think I could tackle. I'm nearing 81k with no issues that I know of. At that point if the engine is out of the car, I'll just force a 5.0 or a 5.2 voodoo in the car like I've always dreamed of doing (I'm not kidding). Are there any signs or symptoms of pump failure to watch out for to tell whether or not it's time?
With the pump being internal, rarely will you see any drops of coolant etc.as it leaks internally. However you may have loss of heat and car temp creeping up. If that happens I'd stop the car right there and get it towed so's not to cause engine failure. You can have your oil analysed too to see if their is any contamination (such as coolant) I believe

I did request a kit from a US company to obtain oil samples for them to test months back, but never received it (free). I will need to follow up with them.

Other rides:
- 1993 Kawasaki ZX7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page