LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 2009
Model: Lincoln MKS
Engine: 3.7L Cyclone V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Transmission Slipping

Hello. When the MKS is in 5th/overdrive and cruising at a steady speed if I slightly depress the accelerator there is a slip/jerking motion when it downshifts and comes out of overdrive. It also does this when slightly accelerating from cruising speed without it shifting down. Could a transmission flush possibly fix this or am I looking at a more serious mechanical issue? The car has 90k miles on it and have not flushed the ATF fluid yet.

Last edited by AdmittedFordLoyalist; 01-24-2019 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Added that symptoms are also there without downshift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 06:33 AM

I would change the fluid and filter regardless. A misfire can also cause this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 06:47 AM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2005
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

^^^^ +1

I know Ford says the fluid is good for 100K+ miles, but IMO that is total BS. Change the fluid for sure. Fresh fluid may eliminate the problem. If this is the 6 speed tranny, the filter cannot be changed without dropping the tranny and splitting the tranny case.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 10:31 AM

Like rdanville said, Don't count out a misfire. I dealt with what I thought was a transmission slip in my 2008 Taurus (3.5) for over a year. After a lot of research I ended up changing the plugs and COPs and she's been running perfect ever since. Believe it or not, I've read that my problem could have just been spark plugs but I purchased a complete kit so cheap it was worth changing both the plugs and the coils. There's a Motorcraft kit out there for the 3.5 that comes with 6 plugs, 6 COPS and UI gaskets for around $150.00.

My symptoms were only on the highway when I would try to accelerate without dropping down a gear. If I got the rpms up by hitting the gas and dropping down a gear it would seem fine. So, under load above 50 mph it really felt like a trans slip and I was 99.9% convinced that it was.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff K View Post
I know Ford says the fluid is good for 100K+ miles, but IMO that is total BS. Change the fluid for sure. Fresh fluid may eliminate the problem. If this is the 6 speed tranny, the filter cannot be changed without dropping the tranny and splitting the tranny case.
Thank you, that is what I had just read that Ford says 100k but most professionals say 50k. That filter you mention. Is that a necessity/recommended to replace also? Around how much $$ are we talking to drop and open the transmission? I don't see it just giving out mid-drive. It is relatively minor now and I'm more apt to maybe just do a fluid change and get rid of when the symptoms become more serious. Last, going slightly off-topic but for my car I was told to do 3 drains/fills. Is this what you recommend or is that a bit overboard (looking at $90 for 9qts since I have to use proprietary fluid).

Yes, 6-speed, this is my father's I forgot that they aren't 5. Looks like it is the 6F50 and 6F55 was for the turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishx65 View Post
My symptoms were only on the highway when I would try to accelerate without dropping down a gear. If I got the rpms up by hitting the gas and dropping down a gear it would seem fine. So, under load above 50 mph it really felt like a trans slip and I was 99.9% convinced that it was.
I was about to say that acceleration without downshift is perfectly smooth. At the same time, if I floor it at 60 I sense no slip. I need to test it again when I'm back over because I think you are right now that I think about it. There is jerkiness coming lightly out of overdrive but I think it is also there even without dropping out of OD under light load. I need to check when plugs were changed last anyway. Cops are the coils and UI gasket is the head gasket?

Edit: Regarding testing it again. It absolutely is jerking under light load without the downshift.
Edit2: Regarding 3 drain and fills tracked down a reasonable answer:
Quote:
One drain and fill gives you 43% new fluid. Second D&F leaves you with 68% new fluid. Third D&F: 82% new fluid
kekaye56 likes this.

Last edited by AdmittedFordLoyalist; 01-24-2019 at 03:36 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 04:17 PM
Technical Advisor

Year: 2005

Not worth the likely $1000+ to remove the tranny, split the case, and change the filter IMO. The filter has a fairly large surface area, so should last longer than the easily replaceable filters in older transmissions.

I agree with changing what fluid comes out a little under half the total fluid), refilling, driving it for a day or week, and changing the fluid at least once more.

A good scan tool that will show Mode 6 data in real time will allow you to monitor each cylinder for excessive missfires while driving to rule out a missfire.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Alright, thank you very much for the advice and information I will pass this along and know what to do now.

2009 Lincoln MKS 90K
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 04:42 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable

Trader Score: 1 reviews
May also check that the axle nuts are tight. What atf does the owners manual spec? Probably available at Walmart or parts stores a lot cheaper than $10/qt.

Last edited by sheila; 01-24-2019 at 04:44 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila View Post
May also check that the axle nuts are tight. What atf does the owners manual spec? Probably available at Walmart or parts stores a lot cheaper than $10/qt.
I will check those. I'm not sure what ATF the owner's manual suggests (mercon, dextron) need to check that but am sure it is less than the the other stuff I have to buy for my car. I just found out though that Valvoline MaxLife is a viable alternative for that and is more reasonably priced.

2009 Lincoln MKS 90K
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:34 PM

Year: 2017
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Looking for your opinion on mileage to change the ATF. The manual on my 17 says 150K, I find that to be excessive personally. I am approach 40K and thought it should be about time. Experience in my mind is the best to follow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page