LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2013
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
K&N Cold Air Intake.

Thinking of inviting in the mythical cold air intake. Is it a worthwhile investment? Still doing research, figured I'd ask.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 12.18.41 AM.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	207411  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 09:32 AM
brn

Chapter: Midwest
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

So I had to move my factory intake to change my headlight the other week. As I was doing so, I noticed that it draws air from the grill. Hmmm. I already have a cold air intake.
sheila and kekaye56 like this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 12:54 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
^+1.
kekaye56 likes this.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 12:58 PM
Technical Advisor

Year: 2005

^^ +2

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Hard to tell if there are actual performance improvements, or if people just think so because their cars sound different.
kekaye56 likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 10:07 PM

Chapter: West Coast

Garage
Eh. If you're looking for performance, it'll help. Just by itself, it won't do anything other than relieve throttle pressure. With a tune, it'll help push out some power.

Essentially a stock airbox is really quiet and there are tons of channels and walls inside them to muffle the sound and that creates a lot of pressure inside the box. Putting a straight tube which is typically any aftermarket will remove that pressure and help improve the flow of air. However, a tune will help the ECU accommodate that change and take full advantage of it.

The funny part is your air intake temperature will never be below the ambient temperature. If it's 75 degrees outside, your intake will never take in any air colder than that because there isn't any colder air to be found in your local atmosphere. A "cold air" intake really just keeps the intake temps closer to ambient than a stock box. A stock box could have temps 10-15 degrees above ambient and never get closer to the ambient temperature. An aftermarket can bring those down much closer to ambient so you're getting "colder" air. My Mustang and Taurus both are typically 3-5 degrees above ambient while driving.

2013 Taurus Limited - Sterling Grey Metallic | Adapted EcoBoost Turbos | PRE Tuning | Halos & Demon Eyes
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralSparklez View Post
Eh. If you're looking for performance, it'll help. Just by itself, it won't do anything other than relieve throttle pressure. With a tune, it'll help push out some power.

Essentially a stock airbox is really quiet and there are tons of channels and walls inside them to muffle the sound and that creates a lot of pressure inside the box. Putting a straight tube which is typically any aftermarket will remove that pressure and help improve the flow of air. However, a tune will help the ECU accommodate that change and take full advantage of it.

The funny part is your air intake temperature will never be below the ambient temperature. If it's 75 degrees outside, your intake will never take in any air colder than that because there isn't any colder air to be found in your local atmosphere. A "cold air" intake really just keeps the intake temps closer to ambient than a stock box. A stock box could have temps 10-15 degrees above ambient and never get closer to the ambient temperature. An aftermarket can bring those down much closer to ambient so you're getting "colder" air. My Mustang and Taurus both are typically 3-5 degrees above ambient while driving.
Makes a lot of sense, and I was thinking along the same lines; needing a tune done to get the full bennies of the intake. I'm a big fan of modifications that eventually pay for themselves so I'm still considering it, but it seems rather pointless to just get the intake by itself.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 10:47 PM

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 1999
Model: Ford Taurus Wagon

I know a lot of people think K&N does wonders for their performance. Maybe it does. But that comes with a trade off of poor filtering.

These tests were specific to some filters for GM trucks and SUVs, but I'd bet that the results are similar to all of the companies lines.

Air Filter Comparison Study - GM Truck Central
Maedhros and kekaye56 like this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Did a lot of research after posting this thread, and I've come to the same conclusion; the tradeoff for any performance increase comes and the cost of filtration. I'll take a look at the link, thanks bud.
mcsteven likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 04:26 PM

Year: 2010

Although there is a lot of good marketing bumph out there, a lot of it is just that. If its outright performance you're after, your first step should not be a performance air filter / induction kit and instead you should focus on either losing some weight from the car or getting a remap. Or both! With an induction kit although it won't make you faster, you will get a louder/better noise as you can really hear the engine breathe, which is of course desirable for a lot of people..

My advice is just keep your paper filter regularly changed and don't worry about a high flow filter. If you want to fit one for the noise and you're after performance then make sure you don't leave the cone air filter exposed and instead fit a fully shielded induction kit to ensure that the air that goes in is as cold as possible.

If you don't shield it then you will get more airflow at high speed, but off the line it can actually be a bit slower down to heat soak, the engine heating up the air under the bonnet, which is then sucked in by the filter when you start moving. That is not cleared until you've been driving for a few seconds, so initially your car will actually make a bit less power if your intake is not shielded correctly. You don't want this!
Jeff K, mcsteven and Maedhros like this.

2010 Ford Taurus Limited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page