Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

08 Taurus, Whats your gas mileage?

5K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  brookster 
#1 ·
hi, posting this out of curiosity, im getting 17-18 with a mix of city / highway driving and i feel like that very low and that i have a problem. lol thanks all in advance.

#3 ·
2003 Duratec. Usually in town I get 17-21 mpg. Just did a weekend roadtrip from Harrisburg PA to Roanoke and got 28 mpg. That's a combination of 70+mph at times, and some serious stop and go during thunderstorms and accidents on the way down.

#6 ·
I had this feeling like the trans was dragging down my coasting speed when off throttle. I was getting ~21 MPG in very conservative driving style with A/C off (springtime in Florida).
I had Ford dealer do The Works oil change recently and noticed the dragging feeling seems gone. Further reading makes me think it maybe was a sticking caliper, corrected by the dealer, but not explained/declared to me.
My mileages has gone up to 22.5 and now running the A/C consistently (summer in Florida).

#10 ·
hello again and thanks for the replies, im very concerned about my mpg just from reading everyone elses comments lol. i drive about 1/2 city and 1/2 highway give or take and it seems life i connot get my mpg about 18 - 18.3 i drive very conservative im not sure what i should so to change this lol/ any suggestions?

#11 ·
There's a lot of variables to MPG. Driver is one of the biggest. If you are heavy footed on the take off, that will kill it. Short highway trips aren't going to net as good mpg as long highway trips. My drive to work is 1/2 local roads and 1/2 highway. 12.6 miles one way. Driving the wagon doing that trip daily gets me about 19-20mpg. When I get on mostly highway, it's 24-26. Driving conditions, how bad the local driving is(stop and go, waiting at long lights, etc) ac blasting, stomping on the brakes to stop, hammering on the gas to go, etc. I can drive your car and get different mpg than you would doing the same trip.

#14 ·
I like to think of it a little differently. I drive to minimize the need to use the brake. Every time you use the brake, you're throwing away the gas you used to get the car to that speed. Keep good following distance and let off the gas well before you may need to slow down. Believe it or not, you can do this, without being bothersome to other cars.

#16 ·
When I had a 08 Taurus Limited AWD I was getting an average of about 14.5 mpg. I am definitely lead footed and the vast majority of those miles were city. I believe the car was in fine condition but evidently I making a gas hog out of it...
I now have a '17 Taurus Limited FWD and am getting only about 17 mpg, so I am seeing a trend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.