Some mods on a 2013 Taurus SEL? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Some mods on a 2013 Taurus SEL?

Hello I ave got a 2013 ford Taurus SEL AWD with the 3.5l v6 naturally aspirated. I was wondering what I can do in terms of exhaust? The stock is just to quiet but I dot want a screaming raspy exhaust. Also I would like to try and get mufflers welded in instead of a 1200+ dollar cat back exhaust. I'm gonna do a CAI eventually too but winters coming so mods are slow. Another thing is a tune. Once I have my exhaust and intake settled what kind of tune can I get into a 2013 Taurus with a 3.5l? Is a tune even worth it? I mean the main thing for me is I would like more responsive throttle and less dragged out shifts but I don't know if that's possible to change. The car does have 96,380 miles so I'm not sure I'll be doing a tune to wot accelerate all the time and get a top speed. To much wear. Lol Also how does the AWD work on these Taurus's? Is it rear wheel or front wheel drive and then when traction is lost computer transfers torque to all wheels or alternates wheels to get traction? Just curious I know its not 50\50 transfer to front and rear constant that would strain the drivetrain to much.

Last edited by James417; 10-02-2015 at 08:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 08:56 AM
brn

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2013
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

I personally like a quiet exhaust, but you may want to take a look at this thread:
https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/115-...ultraflos.html

In there, 13BlueBull posts a youtube link to his setup and I think it sounds pretty good (if I wanted more noise). Jump to the 55 second mark of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36ABYyvkqmw
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn View Post
I personally like a quiet exhaust, but you may want to take a look at this thread:
https://www.taurusclub.com/forum/115-...ultraflos.html

In there, 13BlueBull posts a youtube link to his setup and I think it sounds pretty good (if I wanted more noise). Jump to the 55 second mark of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36ABYyvkqmw
Thanks for the info. I definitely don't want the angry buzzing bees rasp I hear some v6 and i4 tuners screaming down the road like. But I could definitely appreciate a healthy growl while accelerating and a notable rumble at idle. Just want to be able to hear my engine for once. As far as a tune and intake goes I don't know when I will be able to do so sense that's all under warrenty except the air filter I change myself. Otherwise I think I void warranties on lots of things if I go doing a tune and everything. I could deal with exhaust being on my hands but not the whole intake and sensors.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 09:34 PM

I had a K&N Typhoon on my 2010 unlimited its quite loud but makes a HUGE difference. K&N says they have dyno tests to prove almost 14hp gain. I can say this my 262hp 2010 with the K&N had more pull than my 288hp 2014
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 11:26 PM
brn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuminatr View Post
I had a K&N Typhoon on my 2010 unlimited its quite loud but makes a HUGE difference. K&N says they have dyno tests to prove almost 14hp gain. I can say this my 262hp 2010 with the K&N had more pull than my 288hp 2014
Good golly, you may have just re-started the CAI debate.

Last edited by brn; 10-24-2015 at 02:06 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 11:56 PM
Has It Been That Long?

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2010
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Yeah, I put a leaf blower in my intake and wired it for 12V. 75HP gain at the crank, I tell you.

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.
Jill: 2010 Taurus SEL, 3.5L Duratec, Sync.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn View Post
Good golly, you may have just re-started the CAI debate.
my wife calls me captain obvious, I should test the new car with my g-tech meter

everything makes a difference even synthetic oil makes HP, E85 makes more power, probably not much but it does

Last edited by tuminatr; 12-06-2015 at 11:33 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2015, 06:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by James417 View Post
Also how does the AWD work on these Taurus's? Is it rear wheel or front wheel drive and then when traction is lost computer transfers torque to all wheels or alternates wheels to get traction? Just curious I know its not 50\50 transfer to front and rear constant that would strain the drivetrain to much.
The AWD system continuously monitors vehicle conditions and automatically adjusts the torque distribution between the front and rear wheels. During normal operation, most of the torque is delivered to the front wheels. If wheel slip between the front and rear wheels is detected, if the vehicle is under heavy acceleration or if the vehicle is in an aggressive handling event, the AWD system increases torque to the rear wheels to prevent or control wheel slip.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The White Falcon View Post
Yeah, I put a leaf blower in my intake and wired it for 12V. 75HP gain at the crank, I tell you.

here is one with two leaf blowers and 50 HP dyno tested

Leaf Blower Supercharger - Hot Rod Magazine
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 12:52 AM

Chapter: Southeast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuminatr View Post
here is one with two leaf blowers and 50 HP dyno tested

Leaf Blower Supercharger - Hot Rod Magazine

That article was an absolute riot, but you cant deny the result. Although having to stop and refuel your leaf blowers with 2-stroke more often than you fill the tank is even crazier! LOL

I get the notion the K&N Typhoon probably doesn't make an enormous power difference. I installed one on my 2011 Chrysler 200 convertible with the 3.6 Pentastar engine. I think it does add power at the top of the rev range, allowing the engine to pull hard all the way to redline, but mostly I think you just get the sensation because it sounds so angry doing it.
The factory intake tube on the Chrysler had so many strange "fingers" sticking off in different directions it looked like a cactus was growing under the hood.
I noticed when I checked under the hood of my 2013 SEL the intake looked like a potato spawning kids, so I'm thinking the effect will be similar. I'll probably install a K&N before its done, and if it doesn't really add much power I'll be fine with that since I like the performance of the car already, but I do love that angry growl.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tobthebat.wordpress.com
Twitter @TAugustGreen
#Moonracer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page