Noise backing up - Ford cannot find problem - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By TollKeeper

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Angry Noise backing up - Ford cannot find problem

Hoping someone can help. I have a 2013 Ford Taurus AWD. I've attached a rar file with an audio clip of the noise I've been having here and there over the past 4 months. This only happens on occasion when I back up. Could happen at anytime. Sometimes happens first thing in the morning. Or after driving for awhile and running into a store and backing out of a parking space. Ford cannot find what the issue is even though they found that my Power Take Off unit was empty / broken and had to be replaced ($1,700).

Brakes and rotors were fine. Can't find anything that would cause this. It's driving me insane. They want to keep my car for a few days and attach recordable microphones to my car to pinpoint where the noise is coming from exactly. I don't want to throw any more money into the car. And I'm only at 62,000 miles.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Car-2-Car[Track 2].rar (30.9 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by doa_jeff; 07-06-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 05:11 PM

Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Year: 2005
Model: Mercury Montego
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Well thats a hell of a problem. I would probably start with checking the rear diff. If the PTO was dead, who knows if that was a result of a power shunt, or something to that effect.

The next thing to check would be the backing plates of brakes, maybe a rock is caught inbetween the 2 surfaces, and it rolls going one way but not the other due to surface resistance.

Next would be to physically take the brake calipers off on each corner, and check to see if a stone is wedged inbetween the pad and rotor, or the rotor to the caliper or caliper bracket.

I have seen all 3 happen on different cars thru the years.. In fact, I am having the same problem on my Pontiac. Turns out the clutch pack in my rear diff is completely blown. It doesnt make a noise until the computer tries to activate the diff, and then it sounds like a bad wheel bearing.
taucor0315 likes this.

Brian - Carpe Diem

2005 Mercury Montego 52k
2004 GMC Envoy XUV 182k
2001 Pontiac Aztek GT AWD 120K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page