A note about taking care of your car - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 03:00 PM

Chapter: Southern
Year: 2015
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to taucor0315
Keykaye56,

From what Scotty Kilmer , who is a 50 year experienced auto mechanic states on his YT channel, a very high mileage automatic transaxle/transmission fluid change, on a vehicle that never had a trans fluid change , can actually be detrimental to the unit. I've heard the same from a few reputable sources. It seems that there is so much grit from the wear parts in the trans , that it's what actually keeps the trans from slipping, that grit circulating through the trans fluid? So , I don't know, if the T axle fluid was never changed, if it would be a good idea, to change it , at that many miles? I too, have heard to the contrary.

I had a V6 Fiero Formula I bought used at ~50K & got an auto transaxle power flush & fill of the fluid , for the first time @ 60K miles, then put a plug on the transaxle oil pan , & changed the fluid in the pan , just about yearly , @ around 12,000 mile intervals, & put on a Magnefine auxiliary inline trans filter & NEVER had a transaxle problem , & when I sold it at 165+K miles , the transaxle was still working flawlessly. Those 125C transaxles were said to be weak , but with the those things I did to it, & the addition of putting a small auxiliary trans cooler on it too, along with the rest of the maintenance I did, seemed to help a lot to avoid costly repairs . & that's on a unit that was said to be not a very stout one.

Even tough the transaxle on the Taurus which is a "joint venture" designed T axle that GM co produced with Ford , is said to be pretty good, I'm going to continue my frequent fluid changes, & I'm going to put a "Magnefine" filter on it & I'm trying to get the info on how best to install an auxiliary cooler on it.

So I think the Ford dealer may be right on not recommending a fluid change in your case? How many miles do you have on it? If it's over say 75-80 grand, maybe not?

Last edited by taucor0315; 07-05-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 04:48 PM

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 2017
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

I just hit 40K and I think it is about time. I do oil every 5K just because it is easy to remember, 40,45,50 etc.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Today, 10:42 AM

Chapter: Southern
Year: 2015
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Send a message via AIM to taucor0315
Quote:
Originally Posted by kekaye56 View Post
I just hit 40K and I think it is about time. I do oil every 5K just because it is easy to remember, 40,45,50 etc.
40K miles is definitely in the range of a Transaxle fluid change. I changed mine, by a drain & refill , 3 consecutive times. Waiting a few days in between drains & refills. They say you can get 90% new fluid in that way? Many sources say "power flushing" by a machine is now frowned upon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page