delayed blower motor start on cold mornings - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
delayed blower motor start on cold mornings

Hey Guys, I have an odd situation that I need help with. The blower motor on my '08 Taurus will not kick on at any speed until the car has run for awhile, anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes. At some random point while driving, the blower will kick on an run normally for the rest of the day. I had a mechanic look at it and he replaced the blower resistor, but it was not the problem. I also exchanged the blower motor relay, but with no luck. I have also seen this issue on other manufacturer forums with many posts, but not one solved. Living here in Michigan, on a few ice cold mornings I was stuck with no blower. However, stayed above 50 degrees last night, started my car this morning, blower motor turned on immediately. Not sure how the blower motor is affected by low temps.

I also called the local Ford dealership service guy and he had never heard of this issue. Has anyone experienced this issue and managed to get it solved?

Last edited by Richman; 04-18-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:14 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
You may have a tired blower motor needing replaced?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:35 AM
Technical Advisor

Year: 2005
Model: Ford Taurus

^^^^^^ That would be my guess.

Piggyback a test light to the blower motor electrical connection. If the light lights up when you turn the blower on but the blower doesnt run, blower motor is bad. Another thing to try when it doesn't run is to turn the blower on and give the blower case a good rap with a hammer. If the motor starts, the motor is bad. Had the same thing happen last year on my 95 Vulcan winter beater. New motor was only $25 from RA, and the install was a half hour job working slowly.
sheila and kekaye56 like this.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

As I mentioned above, it seems odd that the motor would have a delayed start only when temps are low, and runs fine afterward. But if the problem reappears in the Fall when temps drop, I will pop in a new motor. Thanks for the input!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:20 PM

Year: 2004
Model: Mercury Sable

The problem is simple...condensation/moisture gets inside and freezes causing a weakened motor to seize. Been thru this twice with my '05. New blower motor solves the problem.
kekaye56 likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Popped in a new blower motor, same delay issue. I now have another mechanic puzzled by this situation.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:55 PM
Technical Advisor

Year: 2005
Model: Ford Taurus

Do the "test light on the power leads to the blower" test I explained above.
kekaye56 likes this.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Is the test even necessary if have already replaced the blower motor with a new one? It seems like the only component left to replace is the switch.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:59 PM

Chapter: Northeast

Yes Mercrunner is right. Had this on my 05 Sable only I didn't replace the motor. There's a redesigned cowl cover on the passenger side that deflects water away from the air inlet under the passenger side wiper. There's a bulletin on this with the part number. Sorry it was a while ago so I don't have the number but I'm sure a search will come up with it. I replaced the cover and never had the problem again.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

I have a new wrinkle to this mystery. While driving this morning with my stepdaughter in the car, I had the blower running through the dashboard on medium speed, she wanted to move the air flow to her feet, so she started randomly pressing buttons. She pressed the windshield defrost button. I pressed the off button and then pressed the button to circulate air through the dash and foot area. After doing this the blower motor would not kick on for almost ten minutes. I repeated this procedure a few times (turn on defrost, hit the off button, and then attempt to blow air through the dash with speed turned to high) and would get a delay in the blower motor responding. Keep in mind, the car was fully warmed up while I had all these delays.

It seems like the issue is related to a bad sensor of some sort wired to the blower motor or it's the EATC module has a glitch. I have read a couple threads of how to self test the unit for fault codes but the procedure did not work when I tried them. Anyone ever tried to self test a EATC on a 2008 Ford Taurus??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page