Oil filter Motorcraft vs Mobile1 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By Jeff K
  • 1 Post By rjacket

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2013
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Oil filter Motorcraft vs Mobile1

2013 taurus needs an oil change soon, first change since I bought it. The oil filter is mounted on the bottom of the engine, filter threads pointing up. On my old Nissan maxima I always used the Mobile1 extended performance. Should I use the Mobile1 or stay with the Motorcraft the dealers use? I know the bypass valve on the Mobile1 Is on the bottom of the filter while the Motorcraft it is on the top near the threads. Anyone have any experience with the Mobile1 or know if there is a significant difference between the bypass location? The reason I would use the Mobile1 is more filter material and personal brand trust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:36 AM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2005
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Any quality filter is fine..... Motorcraft, Purolator, WIX Labs, etc. Motorcraft FL500S is cheap at Wally World, so might was well use it. IMO, Mobil 1 filters arent any better, and are overpriced.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:01 PM

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2013
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Motorcraft or Purolator is fine. IIRC, the Motorcraft is made by Purolator. Wix is also good. All can be found on RockAuto for great prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:22 PM

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2004

I am using a Fram Ultra. It's rated for 20k miles and I have had it on for over two and a half years / 13.5k miles as of now.

It will come off on it's third oil change when it'll have about 18k miles / three and a half years / 750 hours on it. It can last that long because it's fully synthetic.

Since I also use a Fumoto to drain oil directly into a disposal jug, 2 out of 3 oil changes I avoid the mess and bother of removing, disposing and replacing oil filters and cleaning an oil drain pan.

2004 Taurus SES Duratec 107k

Upgrades: Mach RCU & Tweeters, Bluetooth, Ford Cargo Tray, LED Trunk Lighting, Headlight Relays, Adjustable Pedals
Running on: Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus, Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 & Fram Pro Synthetic Filter, Valvoline MERCON V, Valvoline DOT 3&4, ZEREX G-05, Top Tier Regular Gas
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjacket View Post
I am using a Fram Ultra. It's rated for 20k miles and I have had it on for over two and a half years / 13.5k miles as of now.

It will come off on it's third oil change when it'll have about 18k miles / three and a half years / 750 hours on it. It can last that long because it's fully synthetic.

Since I also use a Fumoto to drain oil directly into a disposal jug, 2 out of 3 oil changes I avoid the mess and bother of removing, disposing and replacing oil filters and cleaning an oil drain pan.
Not changing the oil filter with every oil change doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Any filter media can become clogged and cause the filter to use it's bypass valve. Unfiltered oil may not kill a motor right away but I'm sure it doesn't help in the long run. I don't think I would trust Fram's 20,000 mile filter rating.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:12 AM

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishx65 View Post
Not changing the oil filter with every oil change doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Any filter media can become clogged and cause the filter to use it's bypass valve. Unfiltered oil may not kill a motor right away but I'm sure it doesn't help in the long run. I don't think I would trust Fram's 20,000 mile filter rating.
There are standardized tests for things like filter holding capacity. The Fram Ultra holds about 3 times what a regular filter does.

Regular filters are good for 10k miles in well kept engines. There is plenty of head room in things like filters in case they are left on too long or a car is not as well maintained. I've seen tests suggesting the Fram Ultra begins to reach capacity at about 40k miles.
taucor0315 likes this.

2004 Taurus SES Duratec 107k

Upgrades: Mach RCU & Tweeters, Bluetooth, Ford Cargo Tray, LED Trunk Lighting, Headlight Relays, Adjustable Pedals
Running on: Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus, Pennzoil Platinum 5w20 & Fram Pro Synthetic Filter, Valvoline MERCON V, Valvoline DOT 3&4, ZEREX G-05, Top Tier Regular Gas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page