Oil in Coolant no Coolant in Oil - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Oil in Coolant no Coolant in Oil

So I have a 2010 SE with 207,000 miles. I noticed my heat wasn't working so I take a look at the coolant and find out that most of it is gone with oily gunk in most of the lines. I flushed it all out and got the heater core unplugged. I'm still getting oil in the coolant. It mostly floats to the top of the overflow bottle and I'll siphon it out once a month. The engine oil dipstick looks fine and I may have to add a half of a quart of oil between oil changes. I had a local shop test it and they felt the water pump was fine and they told me it had to be an internal engine issue and we left it alone. Does this car have oil lines that run through the radiator that may be leaking into the coolant? Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 09:53 AM

Chapter: Please Select a Region:
Year: 2013
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.5L EcoBoost V6

Garage
Hello, sounds like a water pump leak to me as they are internal and coolant leaks into the oil etc. How long have you owned the car? How often have you changed your coolant? How good is the shop you took the car to?

2013 Taurus SHO with Performance Package: Air Raid Cold Air Intake: Magnaflow twin pipes with performance mufflers: De-baged. SCT X4 93 Canned Tune,( 3bar map sensor, 170 thermostat, gapped plugs to be installed), smoke tint headlights
Other rides:
- 1993 Kawasaki ZX7
- 1988 Dodge Dakota 3.9 V6 5sp RWD - restored
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

I've had the car since 2013 and it had about 90,000 on it then. I have neglected the coolant, only flushed it once I realized how bad it was. I trust the guys at the shop. We are all understand that I don't really want to spend $1000 or more to replace a water pump on a car with this many miles. If the oil was getting in there from any place other than the water pump I'd try and fix it. Not worth it to me to have it replaced with that many miles on the car.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

If it is the water pump how long before I start getting the water in my oil?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 10:26 AM

Chapter: Please Select a Region:
Year: 2013
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.5L EcoBoost V6

Garage
If it IS actually the water pump you are on borrowed time. Coolant neglect is one of the problems of failing water pumps and of course is a lot of time and money to replace.

I'd be concerned that it could go whilst you are out and about, and think you are risking driving it on long distances etc. I'd recommend just getting a 2nd opinion to be sure. (No disrespect to your mechanic) but no harm in finding out.

2013 Taurus SHO with Performance Package: Air Raid Cold Air Intake: Magnaflow twin pipes with performance mufflers: De-baged. SCT X4 93 Canned Tune,( 3bar map sensor, 170 thermostat, gapped plugs to be installed), smoke tint headlights
Other rides:
- 1993 Kawasaki ZX7
- 1988 Dodge Dakota 3.9 V6 5sp RWD - restored
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 08:47 AM

Year: 2015
Model: Ford Taurus Police Interceptor

Pull the dipstick and check your transmission fluid. Any signs of milkiness?
Some vehicles have the transmission fluid cooler integrated with the rad, and a seal failure can cause intermixing, usually with a very negative impact on the transmission. It's a must-fix-right-now problem. Not expecting this to be your cause - but an easy check to rule it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page