An unusual issue, can't find a solid answer. - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2013
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L EcoBoost V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
An unusual issue, can't find a solid answer.

So I've had a 2013 Taurus SEL since 2015, and overall it's been a great car (I've literally only had to change the battery since owning it) and I've always felt it was reliable. It's got a bit over 82K miles on it now, and I've had it since about 56k.

However, after the recent two days of artic weather (which I only drove for about 2 hours both days and my car started and ran fine during those days) I've run into an issue that I'm having trouble finding any solid advice about online or through friends.

I drove it yesterday, and it suddenly started kind of surging or pulsating when I'm going between 30 to 45. Not dramatically, but enough to notice it and you can see the needle bouncing up and down between around 1.5 and 2 RPMs. The RPMs flutter up and down and you can feel it while it's doing it, as I said, just not like incredibly bad. It has no acceleration problems and once you get past 45 or if its below 30 the RPMs are fine and the car feels fine. There are no weird sounds from the engine when its doing it, or any other time. I haven't noticed anything leaking, either. The Check Engine light is not on at all.

I first thought that it might be water in the gas from the drastic change in weather (it was like 15 degrees one day, then 65 yesterday) and got some HEET at Walmart. Drove it for another 45 minutes, but it was still doing it. So I took it to Autozone, and they didn't find any codes at all.

I've gotten a lot of different responses, but most of those always involved CEL, stalling, poor acceleration, poor MPG (which might be true but I haven't driven enough to notice yet), etc. So I'm really not sure what is going on with it. Someone recommended that I go get the Transmission fluid changed out, but that's a pricey (about 190 bucks from what I saw) for it not to even need it and not fix the problem.

Just curious if anyone on here has had a similar issue, or might know what could be causing it so that I have a better idea. I hate going to a mechanic clueless, especially if they want to start replacing random parts and it still be an issue. Thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 02:03 PM

Chapter: Please Select a Region:
Model: Ford Taurus SHO

Garage
Could it be the IAC (Idle Air Control).

Are the symptoms only apparent when idle, or even when you're driving?

2013 Taurus SHO with Performance Package: Air Raid Cold Air Intake: Magnaflow twin pipes with performance mufflers: De-baged. SCT X4 93 Canned Tune,( 3bar map sensor, 170 thermostat, gapped plugs to be installed), smoke tint headlights
Other rides:
- 1993 Kawasaki ZX7
- 1988 Dodge Dakota 3.9 V6 5sp RWD - restored
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKfordguy View Post
Could it be the IAC (Idle Air Control).

Are the symptoms only apparent when idle, or even when you're driving?
They aren't apparent when idle at all. The car seems fine under 30 MPH and over 45. And idles fine.

It's only happening when I'm driving and going between 30 and 45.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 02:22 PM

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2000
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

In winter / very cold weather, I always:

Try to keep tank near full of gas. (easier on fuel pump, and less air in tank = less condensation possible)
Use premium fuel with no added ethanol alcohol)
But Add premium gas line antifreeze (the isopropyl alcohol type) as a preventative measure.
Use a good quality full synthetic motor oil (for easier starting / and quicker lubrication on startup / synth oil does not get real thick like tar in extreme cold)

It just sounds like the extreme cold is causing something to bind up and not work properly.

Hopefully, as it warms up those symptoms will "go away".

Try put it in a warm underground garage overnight one time - see if that makes any change.

As for the Transmission Fluid Change for that money - if that has not been done in a while ... do it (eventually) . I think it is worth it.

Oh ya ...

P.S. Change the Air Filter . See if MAF sensor can be cleaned with special spray.

Maybe do some of / or all of ... those general "tune up" things. Plugs and Wires ? Check condition / mileage since last done.

Just try to do all of those "easy" things that would generally get an engine running better / more efficiently.

You may benefit from doing those things anyway ... in the usual ways.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvanwinkles View Post
In winter / very cold weather, I always:

Try to keep tank near full of gas. (easier on fuel pump, and less air in tank = less condensation possible)
Use premium fuel with no added ethanol alcohol)
But Add premium gas line antifreeze (the isopropyl alcohol type) as a preventative measure.
Use a good quality full synthetic motor oil (for easier starting / and quicker lubrication on startup / synth oil does not get real thick like tar in extreme cold)

It just sounds like the extreme cold is causing something to bind up and not work properly.

Hopefully, as it warms up those symptoms will "go away".

Try put it in a warm underground garage overnight one time - see if that makes any change.

As for the Transmission Fluid Change for that money - if that has not been done in a while ... do it (eventually) . I think it is worth it.

Oh ya ...

P.S. Change the Air Filter . See if MAF sensor can be cleaned with special spray.

Maybe do some of / or all of ... those general "tune up" things. Plugs and Wires ? Check condition / mileage since last done.

Just try to do all of those "easy" things that would generally get an engine running better / more efficiently.

You may benefit from doing those things anyway ... in the usual ways.
Thanks for the advice. But as I said in the post, I didn't start having the problem until it warmed up. It was 65 degrees Fahrenheit yesterday when the issue first occurred. The car ran fine in the cold before that.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 05:39 PM
brn

Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Does it seem as though it's hunting between two gears? It could be that the computer is confused. You can force it to relearn the shift patterns by resetting the computer.
https://www.google.com/search?q=rese...tery#kpvalbx=0
You'll lose presets, clock, phone association and all that fun stuff too. The car may run a little funny and shift a little funny as it "relearns".

Note: I've never done this, but am aware that the car learns how to shift as you drive.
kekaye56 likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 08:21 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2006
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Can you check the transmission fluid level. Maybe it's sucking air into the intake filter.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 04:01 PM

Get a scan tool and run mode 6 testing. See if any misfires occurred. Remember there has to be min number for the check engine light to come on. If you see misfires take it from there. These coils start to go and after time and need to be replaced. I have changed every one of mine but I also have 275K on mine.

You also might have pre-detonation too. try using 93 octane for a tank and see if it helps.
kekaye56 likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 02:24 PM

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 2017
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

It is sounding like a misfire to me at mid to low RPM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC42875 View Post
Get a scan tool and run mode 6 testing. See if any misfires occurred. Remember there has to be min number for the check engine light to come on. If you see misfires take it from there. These coils start to go and after time and need to be replaced. I have changed every one of mine but I also have 275K on mine.

You also might have pre-detonation too. try using 93 octane for a tank and see if it helps.
I agree, sounds like plugs and/or COPs. Ya gotta replace the plugs sooner or later anyway so I'd start there. A COP will eventually throw a code but they can fail very slowly. I had a similar problem and fixed it by replacing the plugs and COPs. I really just replaced the back 3 COPs cuz I didn't want to have to remove the upper intake again to get to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page