An unusual issue, can't find a solid answer. - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 3Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Unread 02-23-2019, 04:59 AM

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2007
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
I don't know if Tauruses got a grip on their screwy transmissions since 2006, but at that exact MPH its shifting into 3rd, when I'm accelerating from exactly 30-45 I get a moderate rev before a shudder, but not fluctuating.

Honestly, a DIY job on the trans change isn't costly, time consuming or difficult. If you've ever changed oil, it's a few more bolts & a can of Brakekleen. Looming trans damage is not worth ignorance, but I'd say you could probably hold off until you've got the funds for a fluid/filter change.

Could definitely be a compression issue, but in my experience, compression problems make themselves known upon starting, or at least taking off.

Have you checked other aspects of the charging system? I had a problem with my 07 where it would suddenly gain super-momentum at exactly 2k RPM. Then, the charge sys. light would start randomly illuminating (that dreaded chime....) before 2k RPM.

Electrical components & shorts are another weak spot for the Taurus (Again..don't know if improvements have been made since 06). Three alternators & four batteries my chug has been through in 50k miles.

All else fails, bring up that Engineering Test Mode & waste a little gas seeing if the computer detects anything haywire & just doesn't want to tell you via a MIL yet.

Good luck!

An average of 170 miles put on my car daily & she's more reliable than a rental.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Unread 03-29-2019, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythian View Post
So I've had a 2013 Taurus SEL since 2015, and overall it's been a great car (I've literally only had to change the battery since owning it) and I've always felt it was reliable. It's got a bit over 82K miles on it now, and I've had it since about 56k.

However, after the recent two days of artic weather (which I only drove for about 2 hours both days and my car started and ran fine during those days) I've run into an issue that I'm having trouble finding any solid advice about online or through friends.

I drove it yesterday, and it suddenly started kind of surging or pulsating when I'm going between 30 to 45. Not dramatically, but enough to notice it and you can see the needle bouncing up and down between around 1.5 and 2 RPMs. The RPMs flutter up and down and you can feel it while it's doing it, as I said, just not like incredibly bad. It has no acceleration problems and once you get past 45 or if its below 30 the RPMs are fine and the car feels fine. There are no weird sounds from the engine when its doing it, or any other time. I haven't noticed anything leaking, either. The Check Engine light is not on at all.

I first thought that it might be water in the gas from the drastic change in weather (it was like 15 degrees one day, then 65 yesterday) and got some HEET at Walmart. Drove it for another 45 minutes, but it was still doing it. So I took it to Autozone, and they didn't find any codes at all.

I've gotten a lot of different responses, but most of those always involved CEL, stalling, poor acceleration, poor MPG (which might be true but I haven't driven enough to notice yet), etc. So I'm really not sure what is going on with it. Someone recommended that I go get the Transmission fluid changed out, but that's a pricey (about 190 bucks from what I saw) for it not to even need it and not fix the problem.

Just curious if anyone on here has had a similar issue, or might know what could be causing it so that I have a better idea. I hate going to a mechanic clueless, especially if they want to start replacing random parts and it still be an issue. Thanks for your time.

Well from what it sounds like, I had the same problems you had. My car was idling fine but in the 35-45 range on lower RPM. I would get consistent fluttering. I was able to fix this by replacing the fuel injector pressure regulator. The ting that sits on top of the engine in the middle. It was a 30 dollar part and was very easy to install. If you're getting error codes like "fuel too rich". Then this is most likely your issue. My engine light didn't come on for this problem until the part had totally failed.
sheila likes this.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Unread 03-29-2019, 06:02 AM

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2006
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Garage
In the past, on other vehicles of mine, I've had issues with vacuum leaks that caused issues with idle or running speed. Not sure if that pertains to your issue but worth considering.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Unread 04-08-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC42875 View Post
Get a scan tool and run mode 6 testing. See if any misfires occurred. Remember there has to be min number for the check engine light to come on. If you see misfires take it from there. These coils start to go and after time and need to be replaced. I have changed every one of mine but I also have 275K on mine.

I'll second this. I replaced a COP a couple of months ago over similar symptoms to what you describe, but it took a while for it to fail to the point it would throw errors, and even then, it would only throw errors and experience the worst of the symptoms under hard acceleration. My fuel economy was suffering a bit, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in