3.5L and 3.7L water pump failure - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 06:01 PM

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2013
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefranchise713 View Post
I don't know that changing the coolant will prevent the failure, but it really can't hurt. The PTU is another story.

It might be smarter to squirrel away $1200 for a rainy day.

If you're at 80k now and doing well, I'd probably pay Blackstone for an analysis on your next oil change, if only to find if they're seeing coolant traces in the oil. If not, change the coolant but know that things are looking good for that moment.

Well luckily enough I don't have a PTU since my bull is FWD.

And by analysis, do you mean a quick teardown around the crankcase to possibly find traces of coolant and other contaminants?

2013 Taurus Limited - Sterling Grey Metallic | Adapted EcoBoost Turbos | PRE Tuning | Halos & Demon Eyes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 07:00 PM

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2005
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Blackstone oil analysis. You take a sample of you oil, send it to them, and a week or 2 later they send you a very detailed report on the condition of the oil, and possible causes of anything out of the ordinary.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 08:33 PM

Chapter: West Coast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff K View Post
Blackstone oil analysis. You take a sample of you oil, send it to them, and a week or 2 later they send you a very detailed report on the condition of the oil, and possible causes of anything out of the ordinary.

That doesn't sound like a bad idea. I think the coolant is the only thing I haven't done to my car as far as maintenance but I'm hoping it's rather straightforward when I eventually get to that point.
I'm the kinda guy that literally wants everything to be in perfect working order (being cursed with perfectionism) so any little thing that can improve functionality or performance, I'm all over it.

2013 Taurus Limited - Sterling Grey Metallic | Adapted EcoBoost Turbos | PRE Tuning | Halos & Demon Eyes

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 11:24 PM

Chapter: Please Select a Region:
Model: Ford Taurus SHO
Engine: 3.5L EcoBoost V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralSparklez View Post
That doesn't sound like a bad idea. I think the coolant is the only thing I haven't done to my car as far as maintenance but I'm hoping it's rather straightforward when I eventually get to that point.
I'm the kinda guy that literally wants everything to be in perfect working order (being cursed with perfectionism) so any little thing that can improve functionality or performance, I'm all over it.
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/prod...5ot0niqq1))%2f

2013 Taurus SHO with Performance Package: Air Raid Cold Air Intake: Magnaflow twin pipes with performance mufflers: De-baged. SCT X4 93 Canned Tune,( 3bar map sensor, 170 thermostat, gapped plugs to be installed), smoke tint headlights
Other rides:
- 1993 Kawasaki ZX7
- 1988 Dodge Dakota 3.9 V6 5sp RWD - restored
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 03:25 PM
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2017
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

I've used Blackstone twice and was very happy each time. They'll even send you free sample bottles and pre-paid shipping back to Indiana.

I can send you my last two reports -- one was on the PTU for the Explorer and the other was a UOA for the Taurus when I still had it.

thefranchise713

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow my new story with the Bull's taller, older sister:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of a stronger neighborhood.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 09:00 AM

Year: 2008

Ive gotta 2008 Ford Taurus SEL with the 3.5 L engine, which I am assuming I am just as much at risk and perhaps more-so than Gen 6 Taurus owners. I am currently at around 119350 miles(I got it at 103450), got my last oil change at around 115500 with full synthetic, considering on perhaps switching to a motorcraft synthetic blend or full synthetic with a Ford dealer The Works change.

I did a full coolant flush of my system back in June at Valvoline. I have had no issues with my oil looking milky or anything, no seepage of coolant as far as I can tell and it has stayed in the normal range. I wish I could ask my trustworthy mechanic to inspect it, but I know how much of a hassle and cost that would be. What should I look out for and keep an eye on?

120,000 miles is coming up.... I have had a Transmission Flush back at 105,000 miles. Should I take my car to my local Ford or just take it to my local mechanic for a tune up?

I want my car to last forever, because well its my first car and I love it.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 09:53 AM

Year: 2005
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

There is no such thing as a "tune up" anymore. At 115K I would consider a spark plug change using ONLY the correct Motorcraft plugs or their NGK equivalent. Plug change is a fairly straight forward DIY project even on a Cyclone.

As for the water pump, just check oil regularly looking for the "milkshake", and watch coolant level looking for any unexplained drops in the level.
thefranchise713 likes this.

05 Taurus SEL Duratec - my daily driver
04 Taurus SES Duratec - wifes car - TOTALED
06 Taurus SE Vulcan - wifes new ride
95 Taurus GL Vulcan winter car
Toy #1 - 86 Tbird 5.0 (original owner) - LOTS of mods
Toy #2 - 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe - LOTS of mods
67 Honda 450 Super Sport - completely customized
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 05:04 PM

Recently saw a low miles 08 Taurus X and was interested...until i saw the video that started this tread. I thought changing the water pump on my KIA minivan was a night mare....No interest for me on a vehicle like this...
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 11:55 AM

I did statistical process quality control for a living for 10 years, and now do cost savings analysis.

I wish we had good data for a decision point for the pump failure rates and MTF (mean time to failure). As a general observation, while most people do a good job in changing engine oil/filters, coolant is a neglected item. It does not help that the coolants today are advertised as "lifetime" or 100k mile changes; that is so far out that most folks just plain forget. Other people are good at following prescribed changes, but again, with the coolant life cycle being so long, it's not really known how the pump failure would relate to the coolant change regime.

For those who do change their coolant preemptively, much sooner than Ford recommends, we'd have to see what kind of correlation would exist between coolant life and pump life. So we have a few groups to consider, and I suspect the data is lacking to make a good determination as to "when" a pump will fail.

Correlation does not equate to causation, but without correlation there can be no causation. If we could find correlation between coolant life and pump life, we'd at least have some track to follow. Sadly, I doubt the data is available to us.

All water pumps fail. The issue with these is that they don't always give the tale-tell weep leak to let us know. If we're lucky, they leak via the weep hole and we get a hint of impending doom. The problem is that they don't always do this; some will leak on the opposite seal and leak into the engine. While oil analysis may pick up on this, it would have to be a slow enough enough that discovery predates doom. That may or may not be true.

The nature of the pump being buried inside the engine is a nod to packaging. Can't have it all, folks. Things take up space, and putting the pump inside saves space for any particular chassis package.

The Achilles heel in an otherwise excellent engine.

I bought my two Taurus cars knowing this going in. I hope to catch the issues prior to catastrophe, and change out preventative. Only time will tell ...

2018 White SE (his)
2018 White Gold SE (hers)

Last edited by dnewton3; 03-20-2019 at 12:01 PM.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:52 PM

It doesn't help that they put the weep hole in an oddball place behind the alternator. There are videos showing where to check it.

The dealerships charge an arm and a leg to do this repair if caught early and it doesn't damage the engine internals. A good, reputable repair shop can often do just as good a job, sometimes better, and warranty their work, to boot.

Whatever you do, use the name brand part on this repair. Many aftermarket pump are out there, but suffer from far lower reliability. Plan on a new timing chain and guides, as well. It's worth it in the long run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page