Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

2013 taurus se 3.5 Transmission fluid change

38K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Smitty79 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Bought a 2013 Taurus SE V6 3.5 with 95k miles Oct 2017. It now has 101k miles, I seen manual reads trans fluid change at 100k miles. It was owned by Walgreens mostly. It felt like twice from a stop in D when ready to pull out of my driveway, it felt like a small slip and bump you know the same if I would had it in neutral and put it in D.

Figured either low fluid or filter getting dirty (outside temp. around 70 both times about a week apart). Later checked fluid level it was in correct after about 30 mile drive in 80 degree weather, it's been around a month and trans been working good felt nothing else wrong.

I recently found out I can NOT replace filter, I intended to drain, filter change twice. I've read that new fluid can remove the old varnish build up which is going to be trapped in the filter that I can NOT change! Should I even do a drain and fill ? (read around 5 1/2 quarts) If those two slight transmission bumps I felt a several weeks ago was caused by a filter that's beginning to clog I'm I going to make things worse? I was going to use Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic atf does anybody have anything to say about that, like that's fine or noooo don't use that!!!!! I already bought it.

#2 ·
#3 · (Edited)
Thanks I found a BG transmission service bout 10 miles away will call sometime and see about there service. I did forget to say the maxlife atc I bought says recommended for DEX/MERC* MERCON* LV . Also is Mercon still available? according to the short video link below at 44 secs says they don't make mercon anymore, video dated Dec.2017 talking about mercon V.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
The video he was holding mercon V, but the way I took it was that ford no longer makes mercon period. So I'm assuming later versions including Ford made Mercon LV. I don't know the timeline when Ford Mercon LV came out. They may have licensed out Mercon to other ATF producers, but may have loaded dealerships with a lot of Mercon, but really don't know.

#6 ·
I did a drain/fill twice withValvoline full synthetic ATF (LV). My trans didn’t like it. I recently found Motorcraft Mercon LV on RockAuto for only $4.07 a quart. I did a drain fill (measured exactly 5 quarts that came out), and my trans acts much better now. Learn from my mistake and just use Motorcraft LV!

#7 ·
Even if you cant find Motorcraft Mercon V, I am sure it will be around from other suppliers for many many years to come, as there are tens of millions of Fords on the road that still use Merc V in their trannies and PS systems. Best place to get Merc V is Wally World Supertech Merc V for around $4.29 a quart. Heck Ford Type F fluid can be found everywhere and Ford hasn't built a tranny or PS system that uses Type F in 25+ years.

#10 ·
Well I fiiiinally called a nearby auto repair shop that does bg transmission flushes, he said "since I don't know transmission service history prior to 95K miles (has 103K miles now) he suggests drain and fill" not a bg flush because the filter can not be changed. Since my transmission been working fine I think I will return the MaxLife fluid for a refund. If I do a drain and drop the new fluid might possible dislodge some sort of build up and clog up my filter then I would have to have it rebuilt, may as well wait and hope transmission last a long time, I'm not a hot rodder anyway. I don't take long trips either. also the place I called said they use Global multi-vehicle brand which I know 0 about.

#12 ·
^^^^ +1000

A drain and refill will not cause any issues like a "flush" might.

I would drain the fluid (you will only get about half of it out), refill with about 5 qt of Mercon LV, drive for a week or 2, and repeat the process.

Reactions: Smitty79
#19 ·
well it is a 2-3 owner car so not sure if original fluid

when i’m driving it holds the rpm at 2k going 45-70 like its stuck in a gear it usually shifts between that and holds between 1-1.5k, my only complaint with the taurus is putting the transmission dipstick under the air filter but i’ll have my mechanic check the color and level before drain and fill

#20 ·
You can check the color and level . It’s a little pain, but glove up, have the car at operating temp after a drive, parked level, and running. Reach under the air box, unscrew it, pull the stick, wipe it really well, then repeat to check actual level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.