PSA: 2013+ Battery Replacements and BMS Reset - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2017
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Trader Score: 0 reviews
PSA: 2013+ Battery Replacements and BMS Reset

A friendly PSA as I didn't see an on-point thread on this recently, and with the cold currently gripping North America, a timely topic.

In Gen 6.5 Taurus vehicles (along with PI variants), the Body Control Module contains parameters that work together with the PCM to optimize system charging and battery lifespan. This system, the Battery Management System, must be reset with the changing of your battery.

Battery Management System reset can be completed in 2 ways:
* Using Ford IDS
* Using FORScan (freeware) with an OBD-II device that can reach HS CAN. Extended license (free) is required to access the Service Procedure tied to the BCM.

Resetting the system will allow the vehicle to re-learn the state of charge/discharge via the Hall effect sensor, and reset an age parameter in the BCM.

If you cannot get the system reset, after replacement, leave the vehicle undisturbed for 8 hours. This includes pressing any remote fobs, opening any doors, etc. The state of charge parameter will recalibrate during this period. Note that the age parameter will NOT be reset with this method, and thus the charging strategy will be inefficient as it will be calibrating charging efforts consistent with an aged battery.

In my experience, even most Ford dealers will neglect to reset the BCM--be sure to ask even if you're having the battery swapped at a Ford-authorized service location, such as Quick Lane or otherwise.

Any questions, please shout out. This notice does NOT apply to 2010-2012 vehicles.
sheila and Omar Ameen like this.

thefranchise713

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow my new story with the Bull's taller, older sister:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of a stronger neighborhood.

Last edited by thefranchise713; 12-30-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 11:03 AM
brn

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2013
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Dumb question. Other than the age parameter, just let the car sit for eight hours? Done that.

My battery was replaced by the dealer about 10 months ago. Is it better to have it reset and think the battery is younger than it is or just leave it and have the battery think it is older than it is?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

If it were me, I'd reset it since your battery is still fairly young, but I don't have any scientific evidence to back the wisdom of that up.

I'll leave it up to the techs on the forum for a more solid answer.

thefranchise713

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of a stronger neighborhood.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 04:52 PM

Chapter: West Coast

I've changed the battery out recently, 2 months ago maybe?, and I've never heard of this type of thing. Although, this is the first "modern" car I've owned in....forever.

How is this important to the car? Also, you are in a northern state where snow / freezing temperatures are common this time of year. How about here in SoCal where for us "cold" is anything colder than 50F. This past week, the highs have been in the 70s and lows in mid 50s. That being said, reading your post implies that this is primarily an important thing to do in cars in cold states and I shouldn't have to worry about it here in California. True?

2013 Taurus SEL
No mods......... yet

1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6l
Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake | PI Cams

2000 Honda Accord v6
Bunch of audio stuff | Greddy SP2 exhaust | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F&R sway bars | 6000k HIDs
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

It's more timely due to the battery failure rates in a cold climate, but it should be performed on all vehicles when the battery is swapped.

If you fail to do it, you're risking inefficiency in the charging strategy, but other than that, your car will survive no problem. The important part is the state of charge calibration, but that will recalibrate itself over time (the 8 hours mentioned).

It's something that should be done with all Ford vehicles after 2013 (roughly, don't quote me) or so due to the updates in the BCM/PCM charging strategy. The Explorers have to do it too, along with F150s, etc., of recent vintage.

thefranchise713

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 11:31 AM

Year: 2014
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Can this be done after the fact?

I replaced my battery last winter after a cold AM left it dead, and simply plopped in the new battery and fired up the car and immediately drove it 150 miles. It's seemed fine, but I wonder if I can go into the BCM now and perform the recalibration or if it's too late and just carry on?

2014 Ford Taurus Limited 3.5L FWD
1988 Ford Mustang LX 5.0L
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefranchise713 View Post
It's more timely due to the battery failure rates in a cold climate, but it should be performed on all vehicles when the battery is swapped.

If you fail to do it, you're risking inefficiency in the charging strategy, but other than that, your car will survive no problem. The important part is the state of charge calibration, but that will recalibrate itself over time (the 8 hours mentioned).

It's something that should be done with all Ford vehicles after 2013 (roughly, don't quote me) or so due to the updates in the BCM/PCM charging strategy. The Explorers have to do it too, along with F150s, etc., of recent vintage.
So basically, as long as the car is left alone, it'll recalibrate itself. So like, not doing anything / going anywhere all weekend long will basically take care of itself.

2013 Taurus SEL
No mods......... yet

1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6l

2000 Honda Accord v6
Bunch of audio stuff | Greddy SP2 exhaust | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F&R sway bars | 6000k HIDs
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 12:59 PM
Don't Be Stupid

Chapter: Southern

Trader Score: 1 reviews
You can use Forscan to see if it reset. There is a battery age parameter. Shows age in days
Mustang5L5 likes this.

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for the day. Set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
So basically, as long as the car is left alone, it'll recalibrate itself. So like, not doing anything / going anywhere all weekend long will basically take care of itself.
Not the age parameter and you will have the inefficiency as stated earlier.

thefranchise713

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 01:14 PM

I still don't get it, apparently.

So the car will work fine and all, but this charging strategy thing won't. What is it? What is it for? What does it do? How does it work? More importantly, what happens if it's not reset?

2013 Taurus SEL
No mods......... yet

1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6l

2000 Honda Accord v6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page