PSA: 2013+ Battery Replacements and BMS Reset - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2017
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Trader Score: 0 reviews
The vehicle tailors charge to demand and health of the battery. Essentially, it'll be more aggressive on the charge strategy with a newer battery, older ones it'll be less so. Accordingly, you're leaving a little fuel economy on the table if you don't reset. The car won't let itself become discharged, but the fuel economy will be at least a little lower than it has to be as it'll be putting the alternator to work more frequently with an aged battery. With a newer battery, the car will turn off the alternator almost entirely at times to increase fuel economy.

Immediately after the change, the state of charge will be inaccurate as well, which could cause a false positive detection of a discharged battery--that may cause a load shed issue that is otherwise unnecessary (limited performance/features), though this shouldn't be an issue after the 8 hour reset.

thefranchise713

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow my new story with the Bull's taller, older sister:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of a stronger neighborhood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 10:57 AM

Year: 2010
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

My question is, how are there so many people changing out their batteries in the 2013+ models already? I am almost 100% positive the battery in my 2010 is the battery that came with the car from the factory. I bought the car in 2013 and havent bothered with it since. I am replacing it this year hopefully, but more as a precaution so im not left stranded just in case it does die. I dont really think i even need to replace it yet honestly.

Current Projects:
"Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice can't get fooled again"

All green everything!

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

There are a good number of folks who change them out every 3 years like clockwork, often no more than 5. The other part is that battery quality control has been sloppy lately, my OEM battery in the current ride was diagnosed with a bad cell after only 8 months of service.

thefranchise713

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of a stronger neighborhood.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 06:04 PM
brn

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2013
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

I've found batteries are a [email protected] shoot. I've had batteries last ten years. I've had them last two years. There's no consistency.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 07:03 PM
Don't Be Stupid

Chapter: Southern

Trader Score: 1 reviews
My 2013 came with a 6 month old replacement battery when I bought it 2 years ago. It died 2 months after that. The posts were literally out of the plastic case. The replacement leaked within 4 months.

The replacements were NeverStarts. I would have got a better replacement, but it was zero cost. (Even with the upgrade to group 65)

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for the day. Set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 05:28 PM

Year: 2013

Our 2013 battery died without warning while we were 100 miles from home. Triple A battery service to the rescue. I asked the tech if he could apply a voltage maintainer while changing the battery so that we wouldn't lose all the in-dash Navigation Favorites, radio pre-sets, etc. He did that and all data was saved. Do I still need to see if this Battery Management System reset needs to be done given that everything had what it thought was battery voltage during the change out? Thanks in advance for any information.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Yes, the BMS still should be reset. It'll reset the battery age parameters to zero for the more effective charging strategy.

thefranchise713

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 02:16 PM

Year: 2014

I ended up resetting mine when I first read this thread...about a year post battery change.

Anyway, I got 3 years out of my OEM battery. When I replaced it, I went for one with a bit more CCA. I noticed my crank time when cold has been quite excellent.

That is the shortest time period of any battery of any vehicle I've owned. I typically have gotten 6 years. The battery in my Mustang went 10 years before I replaced it...just because.

There really are only three main battery manufacturers, so they are pretty much all the same. Johnson Controls makes the motorcraft battery and also makes they for brands such as Duralast, Die Hard, etc. They just slap different labels on them so get whatever is the best deal to you.

2014 Ford Taurus Limited 3.5L FWD
1988 Ford Mustang LX 5.0L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in