Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

What Engine Oil do you use?

34K views 29 replies 25 participants last post by  dundun 
#1 ·
Used Royal Purple (5w-20), and filter last change. I don't really have any complaint, but was wondering what other brands other users have had positive experiences with. This is for a 2013 SEL.

#3 ·
I use Mobil 1 personally in everything I drive. Usually walmart has it dirt cheap and I tend to stick with the Ford oe filter as it's make by Purolator.

Honestly, as long as you aren't putting in "bubba's recycled oil" into the engine, you are probably fine with whatever modern off-the-shelf oil you want to go with.

#6 ·
I let the dealer put in Motercraft blend for two reasons.
  1. At $40 for an oil change and rotation, it's not worth doing it myself.
  2. I've a 100,000 mile extended warranty. If there's an issue, Ford already has a record of my oil changes and can't argue that I didn't use the right stuff.

Also, given my other vehicles, it's never been the motor that makes me get rid of old cars. As long as you perform basic maintenance, the motor seems to last forever. Suspension is another story.

#13 ·
#15 ·
Valvoline Full Synthetic every 6k miles. I do a lot of city driving. Just use whatever higher-grade filter is on sale that isn't Fram. Engine is meh but it wasn't treated well by the previous owner. I think a lot of oil changes were neglected, along with many other things.

#16 ·
My GM cars that I have used Valvoline Synthetic in tends to burn oil. But when I use Mobil 1, it doesnt. So I have stayed with Mobil 1 since. Burnt oil = Sludge.

I try to not use Royal Purple. Love the product, but it is designed to not use, or have any, detergents in the oil. For our higher mileage motors, detergents keep the sludge at bay.

#18 ·
I have been using Mobil 1 in every car I have owned since M1 came out circa 1978. Zero oil related failures of any kind, and that includes zero front / rear main seal leaks. Motorcraft or NAPA Gold filters only (NAPA Gold manufactured by Wix labs). Never kept track, but that is probably 1.5 million+ miles of driving. Rust or accidents (accidents never my fault :( ) took all of the cars, not major mechanical failures.

#20 · (Edited)
Mobil-1 with Mobil-1 filter. Same in my previous 3 Crown Vic's, the last one (05) bought new with 6 miles on the Odo sold with 229k. Current 2014 has 113k on it.

#24 ·
Imo what you use doesn't matter as long as you change it at the correct interval. I like to use synthetics because I can put off oil changes longer. But since these engines don't have super close tolerances like modern ones and don't have variable valve timing, just pick whatever fits your budget and don't worry about it.

#29 · (Edited)
Quaker State Ultimate full synthetic, Mobil 1 or other Mobil full synthetic , even Wally Mart Super syn. @ 16 bucks a 5qt. jug. If I can get a Warren Distribution Full Synthetic too, any brand name , at a good price that's good too & what I'll use also. I recently bought Havoline w/deposit shield F/S 5qt. jugs at a clearance price. I always get the ones that are "Dexos" approved, because even if our vehicles from Ford technically don't need that spec, its a more stringent spec than oils that don't meet it. & currently I just use the newer designation that meets "Dexos Gen II" SP+ approved oil, because it has an additive package that helps limit low speed deposit formation & is turbo approved. I stick to the recommended 5W20 , but some say 5W 30 viscosity will be OK in these N/A Cyclones too. The SHO recommends 5W30, does it not?

I change my oil at usually 50% left on the oil life indicator , which is usually between 4-6 month intervals , & usually well less than 5K miles accumulated on the odometer at that point in time. Sometimes I just change it at 3K miles , if its a ridiculously hot summer down here, regardless of what the O/L monitor indicates. Just like I did, when I lived in the "Polar Vortex Zone" in the lower Lake Michigan artic tundra waste land region. It regularly got 20 below 0 F or less , for 10 or more days up there, & was virtually the ONLY area in the world that wasn't experiencing the Global Warming phenomenon , or what they say is GW. That area got colder over the past few decades! Sooner than normal oil changes in the extreme cold is recommended, because oil that has volatility burn off, can increase in viscosity , especially non Synthetics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.