post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southern
Year: 2013
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Oil Residue In Intake?

Hey everyone,

So I was changing a headlight bulb yesterday and while doing so, I noticed a small pool of what seemed to be motor oil at the bottom of my CAI filter. Long story short, it looks like traces of oil are coming up through the PCV or whatever that hose is that runs from the crank case to the intake tube. First thing I did was check my oil level, it was perfect. Next, I removed the intake to check the throttle body for oil, I didn't find in/on the throttle body itself but there some some build up around the lip of the intake tube. There was also oil residue on the PCV itself. I cleaned it all out but now I'm freaking out that my engine is sucking in motor oil through the intake.

After researching, I have gotten mixed review... so people seem to say it a normal thing and nothing to freak out about, others say to replace the PCV. If anyone has any info regarding this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Please note, I currently have a CEL on for the Bank 1 Sensor 1 O2 sensor (Open Loop). Not sure if this could play a part in any thing but thought it was worth mentioning.

Thanks!
Dougboffl likes this.

Last edited by KYcats; 07-31-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 10:13 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
May try swapping out the pcv valve with a new Motorcraft.
Dougboffl and snosaint like this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Upon further review, I do not think this is the PCV. From what I have gathered, the PCV is on the back side of the motor... what I am referring to is the small hose on the front side that runs to the the air intake tube. Is this also a PCV?
Dougboffl likes this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 10:38 AM

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2010
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Small amounts of oil in the throttle body is normal, I don't think it is in the intake, you definitely shouldn't be getting oil in the air filter. Could definitely be related to the CEL, should probably get it checked out
Dougboffl likes this.

Current Projects:
"Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice can't get fooled again"

All green everything!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcu View Post
Small amounts of oil in the throttle body is normal, I don't think it is in the intake, you definitely shouldn't be getting oil in the air filter. Could definitely be related to the CEL, should probably get it checked out

Thanks for the response. Do you know if there are two PCV valves? one in the front and one in the rear? When I search for the part, it keeps coming up the PCV valve for the back side of the motor. The one that I'm referring to is on the front side and is a smaller'thinner valve with hose connected to the intake tube.

Thanks for your help.
Dougboffl likes this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 10:41 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Iirc, front side should be the "clean" side. Air is actually pulled in there and circulated through the eng./crankcase and pulled out the "dirty" (pcv/rear) side via vacuum. 95% of the oil/gunk that accumulates in the intake snorkel/air filter/tb/uim comes from the dirty side. 3-5% may come from the clean side. If oil is actually coming from the front/clean side, it's a sign your pcv valve/barb is plugged/gunked or have lost vacuum on the dirty/pcv side and the flow is backing up. I'd replace the pcv valve/barb and inspect for vacuum leak(s). May also consider plumbing in a quality oil catch can between the pcv valve/barb and its vacuum port on the uim. Elite and RX are 2 good brands.
Dougboffl likes this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheila View Post
Iirc, front side should be the "clean" side. Air is actually pulled in there and circulated through the eng./crankcase and pulled out the "dirty" (pcv/rear) side via vacuum. 95% of the oil/gunk that accumulates in the intake snorkel/air filter/tb/uim comes from the dirty side. 3-5% may come from the clean side. If oil is actually coming from the front/clean side, it's a sign your pcv valve/barb is plugged/gunked or have lost vacuum on the dirty/pcv side and the flow is backing up. I'd replace the pcv valve/barb and inspect for vacuum leak(s). May also consider plumbing in a quality oil catch can between the pcv valve/barb and its vacuum port on the uim. Elite and RX are 2 good brands.

Makes sense... thanks a lot for the response. I'm going to start with replacing the PCV (Although this looks like its going to be a b*tch based on its location).
Dougboffl likes this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 02:19 PM

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 2016
Engine: OTHER

I've looked on my 2016 3.5L Ti-VCT Taurus (that all means non-EcoBoost, non-GDI). Inspired by sheila's input above and confirmed/found the front line is just a semi-ridged tube running valve cover (crankcase air) to the intake (vacuum) - no valves of any kind in this line. It is dark gray color with 90-degree bend. The PCV (6758) is in the backside somewhere, confirmed via Ford parts drawing (attached). I also was going to install an Oil Catch but not sure now. To get a really good effect (I believe) one would need to Oil Catch the PCV line in the back & some sort of Oil Catch on the front tube. As I see it, the intake is normally (if not always) vacuum and therefore the front tube will suck crankcase vapor making the PCV almost moot. So if both the front tube and PCV lines are not filtered (via Oil Catch) there will still be oil-/crud-vapor getting sucked into the intake. Now since mine is 3.5L non-EcoB the injection is multi-port and not GDI. I think that means using good detergent fuel and maybe every so often fogging or other injector treatment should keep the back of the intake valves clean. The Eco-Boost has additional pressure and in-the-combustion-chamber (GDI) injection contributing to gunk formation on their intakes. I just really hate the idea of puke being sprayed in/on the intake & valves, so I'm still considering Oil Catch cans FWIW.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016 3.5l .jpg
Views:	70
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	193657   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170723_164916092.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	193658  

Last edited by Dougboffl; 08-04-2017 at 02:26 PM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 10:49 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

^ Doug, there doesn't appear to be any vacuum on that front line. It looks like it goes from the intake tube to the front valve cover. Fresh air feed. If, after replacing the pcv and checking that its vacuum line/connections are good, you are still getting excessive oil into the air filter, intake tube, tb, uim, etc., you can install an oil catch can between the pcv and its vacuum port on the uim. For the front, clean side, you can install an oil seperator which consists of a replacement oil fill cap with a removable/cleanable filter and a side nipple/port. That front line in your pic is re-routed from the the intake tube to the port on the new oil cap. The port on the front valve cover is plugged off.
Dougboffl likes this.

Last edited by sheila; 08-04-2017 at 11:25 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 04:25 PM

Chapter: Southeast
Year: 2016
Engine: OTHER

sheila,

Correct no "additional" vacuum on that front tube - but the Intake itself is in a vacuum state (low pressure). The engine's piston movement creates lower-than-atmosphere pressure (vacuum) which is how they draw fuel/air mix in - via the Intake. So the Intake is in lower than atmosphere pressure whenever the engine is running. Sorry to be reciting Engine 101 but I need to be sure I'm not missing something. Since that front tube is connected (without any check valves or venturi-valve etc.) between the Intake and front valve cover, and the direction of flow is always higher pressure toward lower pressure, and thus flow would be from the crankcase toward the Intake, right? So that would mean there really isn't a "clean air side" both sides would be dirty crankcase air. So why then does the PCV still exist? The front tube was designed without one. Is the front tube meant to bypass or negate the PCV? I've seen drawings showing similar engine design with flow of that front tube going from Intake toward crankcase but I don't think that really happens. Those drawings show a loop of flow from: crankcase>PCV>intake>tube>crankcase. I don't think it really works like that. Think of the front tube and back PCV line as being parallel because they both connect the crankcase to the Intake. There isn't a lower pressure at the PCV line it is the same as the front tube. The Intake being lower pressure than crankcase, both lines will flow from crankcase toward Intake. I'm thinking the loop drawing is a lie or there is some really unusual odd reason for their premise. But I can't imagine what. If someone knows a reason for there to be two separate lines connected in parallel and one has a check valve in it (PCV) I really would like to hear why/how this is supposed to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page