2008 TaurusX SEL EATC Diagnostic Mode - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: West Coast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
2008 TaurusX SEL EATC Diagnostic Mode

I have searched (unsuccessfully) for hours for this and tried several things...
How do you initiate self-test (or diagnostic mode) of the EATC?
This is a dual-zone, with auxiliary rear HVAC.

OFF & DEFROST followed by AUTO does not seem to work.
OFF & FLOOR followed by AUTO does not seem to work.
OFF & {any button} followed by AUTO does not work.

I have tried just about every combination of buttons and nothing works.
As soon as I hit AUTO - the system just turns on.

FYI the EATC works, so it's not dead. I need to replace an actuator motor (famed clicking noises...) I want to run the diag an see if there are any other codes before I order parts. Also, I want to perform the re-calibrate when I'm done.

Does anyone know of any other magic combinations that were used for the EATC?

There are many posts about this that basically say:
Turn key to on.
Press OFF and DEFROST together (release them)
Then press AUTO within 2 seconds.

Is there something else (or different) that I'm missing.

There is a picture of the unit here: (assuming all the technology works correctly...)

https://app.box.com/s/j0vjqnid77mjz8qnx55q

Such a simple thing - such a waste of hours!

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 05:15 PM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2001
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

From a post for a 2008 SEL, not sure if the X may have been different-

Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (EATC) Module Retrieve Continuous DTCs
The EATC module will retrieve only continuous (intermittent) DTCs when carrying out this procedure.
  • Retrieval of continuous DTCs can be initiated after cycling the ignition switch from OFF to ON. Normal operation of the climate control system stops when retrieving continuous DTCs.
  • To retrieve continuous DTCs, press the OFF and DEFROST buttons simultaneously and release, then press the RECIRC button within 2 seconds. All vacuum fluorescent segments will be displayed if there are no continuous DTCs present. Continuous DTCs are indicated by the presence of the Celsius symbol (C) on the EATC module display. Record all DTCs displayed.
  • If any DTCs appear, carry out the diagnostic procedure. Refer to the Electronic Automatic Manual Control (EMTC) Module and Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (EATC) Module DTC chart and follow the ACTION for each DTC given.
  • If a condition exists but no DTCs appear, GO to Symptom Chart Condition: The EATC System is Inoperative, Intermittent or Incorrect Operation.
  • To exit and retain all continuous DTCs, press any button except DEFROST. The EATC module will exit the retrieved continuous DTCs mode and retain all continuous DTCs.
  • To exit and clear all continuous DTCs, press the DEFROST button. The EATC module will exit the retrieve continuous DTCs mode and all continuous DTCs will be cleared.
  • Always exit the procedure before powering the system down (system turned OFF). Once the procedure is exited, the ignition switch must remain ON for at least 30 seconds to allow the door actuators to automatically recalibrate.
  • Continuous DTCs will be deleted after 80 ignition switch ON cycles after the intermittent fault occurs.

Tyson
No matter where you go, the first person that you meet when you get there will be yourself

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: West Coast

Thanks for the suggestion... I had come across this and forgotten to list it as well.
Still no joy in Mudville.

Perhaps someone else with an 08 Taurus X with this EATC could try these combinations
and let us know if any of them work. Maybe there is something weird (broken, different, etc) with mine.

I appreciate the speedy reply! I'm happy to try any suggestions.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 04:15 PM

I believe from what I read I was able to get the self test to initiate, the screen was lit up with all segments, it displayed 88.8 which I read meant the test was active, but I let it run for 30 minutes and it never completed. I guessing if it was working correctly it would complete the test much sooner. I posted in another area I have a blower motor delay issue that is somehow related to the EATC. For example, if the blower motor is running, and I press the defrost button and then the off button, when I attempt to turn the blower back on to the dash, there is a delay of several minutes...and this is in a completely warmed up vehicle on a spring day.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 09:21 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
^ Richman, might search: "eatc self test" using the search feature(s) at the top right of this page. Iirc, if no codes pop up during the self test and 888 appears, it means there are no codes and the self test is completed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page