B-Pillar scratch/swirl removal - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
B-Pillar scratch/swirl removal

NOTE This is copied by myself from SHO forum post!!!

I found this video while looking at self help videos for my new buffer. Ironically the Porter Cable 7424XP variable speed buffer, polisher that Greg is using in the video. Not a marketing pitch but this buffer works for me and is reasonably forgiving and according to professionals that use it you really have to work to scratch the paint or burn the paint and ruin the clear coat. This is a video on removing scratches and swirls on the piano black B-pillar outside frame of the doors. Reasonably easy and seems to get good results. A total coincidence that the Taurus SHO is used for the video but I would imagine the proper technique would get the same results on other models. The only hint of extra caution I would recommend is the drivers side front pillar due to the Keyless Entry number pad. Those of you who are into Car shows like I am with Carlisle this could be some good car show touch up or just general touch up for the summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMPTSBr45OQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 01:16 PM
Devoted Member

That's the buffer I have and use, and it does a great job at a reasonable price..important to use the correct foam pads and products. Also for removing plastic scratches you can't beat Novus. They have a kit that contains: Heavy Scratch Remover, Fine Scratch Remover, and Cleaner/Polish...you can find it on Amazon in the $15.00 range. It does a great job..I have used it on center console in my SHO and A-Liner campers recommends it. I have not watched the video, but a friend used Novus on his B-pillar on his SHO and was very happy with the results.

2010 Ford Taurus SHO-Livernois 4+X Tune, Airaid CAI, Caliper Covers, Tinted Taillights, Tinted Headlights, LED Interior Lighting, LED Puddle Lamps and License Lights, SHO Hood Stripes, Rearranged Trunk Badging, 3 Bar MAP Sensor, 160 Evenflo Thermostat, V3 Triton Switchback LED Front Parking/Turn Signal, EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors w/EBC Yellowstuff Pads
2013 Ford Explorer Limited-Wife's Tow Vehicle
1999 Ford Taurus SE Wagon-'Our Family Truckster"
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I only used it once but don't be surprised if I break it out during Carlisle. As for the pads, I got the orange and red Chemical Buys pads. I wish they had a standardized color scheme like red light duty blue medium duty, orange fine cutting, white heavy cutting etc.. I guess I will have to get my own color system. I will check out the Novus. Did you use it with hand application on the center console? I used a Meguiar cleansing wipes for the plastic part of the console and Meguiar's Leather cleaner/conditioner for the seats, console cover, headrests, door panels and even the Dashboard. Mothers V-L-R for the plastic trim around the bottom of doors, bumpers, mirror housing, roof fore aft trim cover, door seals, trunk seal, even the plastic piece inside of the taillights and rubber seal around the sunroof. I still need a couple of more coats but a good start on freshening it up. I have the Meguairs product in Gel form which for me works better with less risk of overspray but I don't want to waste the Mothers so I will use it up first then switch to the Meguiars Back to Black. Chemical Guys advertises the polishes in a sample pack of four different polishes. The B-pillar would be a good use for this sample kit.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 11:41 AM
Devoted Member

No surprise, I use Adam's Polishes pads...and the secret is for the most part, you use the pad that is the color of the product you want to use. It makes it simple to know which to use for what product.

2010 Ford Taurus SHO-Livernois 4+X Tune, Airaid CAI, Caliper Covers, Tinted Taillights, Tinted Headlights, LED Interior Lighting, LED Puddle Lamps and License Lights, SHO Hood Stripes, Rearranged Trunk Badging, 3 Bar MAP Sensor, 160 Evenflo Thermostat, V3 Triton Switchback LED Front Parking/Turn Signal, EBC Slotted/Dimpled Rotors w/EBC Yellowstuff Pads
2013 Ford Explorer Limited-Wife's Tow Vehicle
1999 Ford Taurus SE Wagon-'Our Family Truckster"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page