Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

smalltaurusbigtauruswagontauruses

486 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  sheila 
#1 ·
Hi
I had a hand me down 2003 DOHC wagon that made it to 216 thousand miles before the air conditioning compressor and water pump failed simultaneously. it was quite rusty so we donated the car.

after this I purchased an almost rust free 2003 Vulcan OHC wagon with 115,000 miles.

I have driven the car for 5000 miles, and now it is in the transmission shop because the torque converter has failed.

so I'm trying to decide whether to pay for the torque converter to be replaced for $1500, or while I'm paying the labor just have a new transmission put in for $2,200

the transmission fluid was dirty. the previous owner gave me a folder with all the records of the cars maintenance and part replacement. Unfortunately no where was there a transmission fluid and filter change.

so as much as I would like the replace just the torque converter, I'm going to be surprised if my trans guy doesn't suggest a rebuilt trans

I have basic mechanic skills and do fixes such as suspension, brakes, cooling system, valve gaskets. I don't mess with transmissions though other than fluid and filter.

I wish the previous owners had changed the fluid every 30,000 miles like my trans guy recommends, then I for sure wouldn't get new trans. Now it's a gamble not to.

overall, the car has been well maintained with records. I believe i will pay the 2,200 and just have a reliable wagon for many years.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.