can't seem to keep my car looking good - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2010
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
can't seem to keep my car looking good

This is more of a rant than a question. I've put so much effort into keeping my car looking good and I just can't seem to! Last summer I had a little fender bender and had minor body work done on my rear fender at a body shop recommended by the ford dealership. Looked good and everything seemed fine. The beginning of this summer I had it clay barred and detailed to get the surface scratches/ swirls out. Looked great! But he pointed out a spot that he said looked like the clear coat was peeling where the body work was done, the body shop felt it was otherwise and didn't care to touch it up. So stuck with that mark. I then bought the interior detail from ziebart that said they did a hand wash of the exterior, so I thought I was safe, my car left there with HUGE scratches going all the way across my trunk. They wet sanded it to the best of their abilities then said the rest was surface scratches from somewhere else, which was a lie because I just got the clay bar done a month prior and hand washed it except twice I went through the car wash. So got stuck with those scratches. And while I was there they pointed out a few dents in my door and trunk that I hadn't noticed prior that looks like people swinging their door open without looking. Then I park in the back of the lot to try and avoid any more damage and a truck decides to park right behind me and bump my bumper and leave a nice scratch right above the license plate. So with all that said and done I've completely given up and trying to kept this car looking nice, just don't have to time and money to pretty much completely redo the whole paint job

Current Projects:
"Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice can't get fooled again"

All green everything!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 12:23 AM

Chapter: Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcu View Post
This is more of a rant than a question. I've put so much effort into keeping my car looking good and I just can't seem to! Last summer I had a little fender bender and had minor body work done on my rear fender at a body shop recommended by the ford dealership. Looked good and everything seemed fine. The beginning of this summer I had it clay barred and detailed to get the surface scratches/ swirls out. Looked great! But he pointed out a spot that he said looked like the clear coat was peeling where the body work was done, the body shop felt it was otherwise and didn't care to touch it up. So stuck with that mark. I then bought the interior detail from ziebart that said they did a hand wash of the exterior, so I thought I was safe, my car left there with HUGE scratches going all the way across my trunk. They wet sanded it to the best of their abilities then said the rest was surface scratches from somewhere else, which was a lie because I just got the clay bar done a month prior and hand washed it except twice I went through the car wash. So got stuck with those scratches. And while I was there they pointed out a few dents in my door and trunk that I hadn't noticed prior that looks like people swinging their door open without looking. Then I park in the back of the lot to try and avoid any more damage and a truck decides to park right behind me and bump my bumper and leave a nice scratch right above the license plate. So with all that said and done I've completely given up and trying to kept this car looking nice, just don't have to time and money to pretty much completely redo the whole paint job
That's because you live in New York, I use to live in chicago and you could not keep a car without some moron smashing into it or someone stealing it. Now I live in the pacific north west and the only thing that messes up my car is the rain.

Last edited by blackbull99; 07-15-2015 at 12:26 AM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Yea moving out of NY is definitely a goal of mine. Not because nm of my car, but would be a nice bonus

Current Projects:

All green everything!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 09:41 AM
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Year: 2017
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

All winter long I went to Delta Sonic to keep the rust/salt off the car. They put in more scratches than the salt they took out... my body looks like crap now. I'm really sorry I bothered with it.

tl;dr: I feel you, bro.

thefranchise713

Follow my new story with the Bull's taller, older sister:

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of a stronger neighborhood.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 11:00 AM
I'll Be Watching You!

Year: 2007
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Trader Score: 2 reviews
The price to pay for owning a vehicle. This is the reason why I don't buy brand new cars, besides the fact that I just can't afford it now. The first scratch I would see in it, I would want to kill the person who put it in after spending the asinine prices for a new car that loses value the second you drive it off the lot.

When I was making payments on cars, I would always buy "new" cars that had a little mileage on it so a scratch wasn't going to stab me though the heart. Plus I got good prices on the cars at that point. Unfortunately it happens. People don't respect a damn thing anymore. I watched someone in a parking garage just throw their door open and slam it into the car next to them like it wasn't there. Then just walked away not even looking at it. It's this 'I'm better than everyone else' society we live in now. Self centered, ignorant idiots everywhere.

John
2007 Pontiac Torrent, 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 11:35 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2003
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 56 reviews
Yup, that's the way to go John.

I always look for a lower mileage 2 year old Ford product that still has at least 6 months left on the 3 year 36K bumper to bumper warranty.

I save quite a bit of money and if anything goes wrong, I use that warranty.

I always give the car a thorough check right before the 3/36K warranty expires to see if anything else needs repair.

And of course, I use carfax and autocheck.

4 Taur Family:
98 Comfort DOHC
00 SE
03 SEL Premium DOHC
04 SES Sport DOHC

2003 SEL Premium
Every available factory option
September 2009 Car of the Month

Dealing in Mach Audio Systems for over 10 years with perfect feedback. I'm happy to answer any/all questions.
I have many very satisfied club members!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Yea if I ever have the chance to buy new it's definitely going to be a special occasion car and not a daily driver

Current Projects:

All green everything!

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 10:32 PM

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2013
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Garage
I know how that goes. I've had my car for ~7 months now, and throughout those 7 months probably 15-20 chips of paint appeared on the car. Most of them were on the very front of the hood, near where it meets the grille, with others on the A pillar, door handle area, and rear wheel well area. Touch up paint is the bomb, though.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Chips on the hood are to be expected, unless you buy a bra of some sort. I actually bought my car used with the bug guard on the hood so mine isn't terrible. The doors get the blunt of the abuse on my car

Current Projects:

All green everything!

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 09:07 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewcu View Post
Chips on the hood are to be expected, unless you buy a bra of some sort. I actually bought my car used with the bug guard on the hood so mine isn't terrible. The doors get the blunt of the abuse on my car
Always get a laugh when I see a rusty junker with a bra on it.

Like the locking lugs on a rusty Neon on those rusted steel wheels.

-chart-

Last edited by chartmaker; 08-14-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page