Film on windshield that won't go away - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Film on windshield that won't go away

Back in June,I bought a red '97 Taurus GL. The car has been sitting for a while and it was quite obvious that the interior and exterior needed some work. After several car washes and rug shampooing, I got the car into a much better state. It still however isn't perfect. My biggest issue is this weird film on the windshield glass and the front and passenger side glass. I've tried Windex,vinger, and Invisible glass with my microfibre cloth to no avail.The film disappears when you apply water to the glass but reappears shortly thereafter.The film is not on the exterior of the glass but rather the interior which makes it really hard to reach it because its so close to the dash. This film is the worst when it is sunny out .Any solutions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kinda hard to see but that stuff on the left side of the picture is the film. It is not so bad in the picture but in sunlight it is blinding.

More pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-28-2013, 11:58 PM

Chapter: Pacific Northwest

May need to use a straight vinegar solution to get it off, or using an alcohol solution to clean it, then regular window cleaner.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 12:02 AM
Has It Been That Long?

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2010
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.5L Cyclone V6

Is it some kind of tint peeling?

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.
Jill: 2010 Taurus SEL, 3.5L Duratec, Sync.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

I don't think it is a tint because the previous owner was a old women who didn't do any sort of personalizing to the car. I am going to try vinegar straight up and see if that works .
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 10:25 AM
Has It Been That Long?

Chapter: West Coast
Year: 2010
Model: Ford Taurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetta View Post
I don't think it is a tint because the previous owner was a old women who didn't do any sort of personalizing to the car. I am going to try vinegar straight up and see if that works .
Try that. Ford tints the windows a little from the factory on most cars, but I don't know if it's on the inside or outside.

Holly: 2003 Taurus SES Deluxe, Duratec, spoiler, moonroof, OEM Centennials, JBL Audio. April '14 COTM winner.
Jill: 2010 Taurus SEL, 3.5L Duratec, Sync.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Vinegar and alcohol didn't work and the film or whatever it is on the inside . I stepped it up to glass-top cleaner for stoves and nadda. This stuff is on there good. Just Out of curiosity how much would a new windshield run me ?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 12:18 AM
TCCA Facebook Admin

Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Year: 2008
Model: Mercury Sable

Garage
My dad's Crown Victoria and '93 Ram D-250 cost him $220 each without discounts, so yours should be around the same price.

Josh S.
2008 Mercury Sable Premier - Light Ice Blue
2003 Taurus SHO V8 - Dark Shadow Grey
2002 Taurus SEL Premium - Royal Blue

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 10:17 PM
Sam
breeves002

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2008
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Garage
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Windshields can be less than that too. I would expect around $200 though.

Front window glass can be replaced easily. Just get it from a self service junkyard. Or plenty of members here should be able to get you one. Kinda a scary thing to ship though lol.

FIRST:
I would try very high concentration of rubbing alcohol. Like 92% Isopropyl Alcohol. Can get it at Walmart. You may also try an abrasive cleaner like spic n' span. Careful not to get it on the paint though because that is a good way to deteriorate it. Just use a kitchen sponge.

Sam

2017 Fusion Energi Platinum
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP Whipple Stage 2

Moved On:
2014 Focus Electric
2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
1997 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

I think I may have found a way to remove but I am not 100% sure . I use a sonic scrub brush and some ceramic stove top cleaner to scrub away at one section of the windshield . It appears to be gone but I cant tell until I get my Halogen work light bulb replaced
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 05:44 PM

Chapter: Midwest

possibly a nice new razor blade,,,, eventhough it might take awhile.....

2000, The only Taurus to win Daytona 500-- Hot days, 2012 concours 1400-- For cold snowy days 07 G35 "x"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page