Film on windshield that won't go away - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 08:48 PM

Chapter: Southeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
I hesitate to suggest this so be careful with it inside the car. I have used pure virgin lacquer thinner to clean both glass and plexiglass and it will take off just about anything. After you get the film off then clean the residue with windex. Also don't try to do this with paper towels buy a pack of those white wash cloths that Walmart sells for a couple of bucks and as the towel loads up toss it and get another one otherwise you will just be smearing the mess around.

Apply the thinner to the cloth in small amounts and keep the can outside the car.

I have used it to take off all kind of crap off glass just be careful and have lots of ventilation no sparks or cigarettes and cover anything you don't want to ruin if you spill it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 09:39 AM
Sam
breeves002

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 2008
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Garage
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetta View Post
I think I may have found a way to remove but I am not 100% sure . I use a sonic scrub brush and some ceramic stove top cleaner to scrub away at one section of the windshield . It appears to be gone but I cant tell until I get my Halogen work light bulb replaced
An abrasive cleaner like I said! Let us know!

Sam

2017 Fusion Energi Platinum
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP Whipple Stage 2

Moved On:
2014 Focus Electric
2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
1997 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 09:44 PM

Chapter: Northeast

This: Bon Ami :: Products :: Powder Cleanser

might help the OP, if he or she is still around, or anyone else for that matter.

My one car previous to the Taurus was an Accord Coupe. I don't know if it was the shape of the windshield or the body or what, but that windshield was constantly coated in crap. I tried Rain X and numerous other spray on products. Nothing worked until I used Bon Ami powder.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 01:59 PM

Could also try lighter fluid...might sound strange but it's great for removing adhesive (I've used it after peeling stickers off windows) not sure what's on the window but it's cheap enough to try
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 04:33 PM

Chapter: Pacific Northwest
Year: 2000
Model: Ford Taurus Wagon
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

I'm wondering if the film is from a slight coolant leak from your heater core. Does it smell of antifreeze at all? Try Mothers brand window cleaner. It cleaned up the film on my 73 Ford Maverick and then I used a can of stop leak to get this to stop happening.

If you believe this is a film from the antifreeze then you need to go down the road at looking at what the problem is. In my 73 I used a can of Prestone stop leak in the rad and it took care of the issue. The film came back about 4 more times and I cleaned if off with Mothers. Finally it stopped. Can't guarantee Stop Leak won't cause other issues. Anyone out there with some experience with Stop Leak in Taurus's. Good luck.

Spock
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 07:32 PM
Devoted Member

First, try a mild abrasive like Soft Scrub. If that doesn't cut it, try something like Comet.

Does you insurance include free glass replacement? Many do.

2003 Mazda Protege5, 2.0L (Daughter #1)
2008 Nissan Titan SE, Crew Cab/Long Bed, 5.6L (Mine)
2007 Volvo V70 2.5T, turbo 2.5L (Mine)
2010 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2.5L (Daughter #2)
2012 Toyota Camry LE, 2.5L (Wife)
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 07:53 PM

Could it be one of those Rain-Ex type polymers that are advertised to break the surface tension of water beads and make rainy weather easier to see in? If so they are supposed to be applied to the outside where they can contact the water beads. Maybe someone applied it to the inside in a misunderstanding. A call to Rain-Ex might be the ticket.

One other possibility is residue from coolant leaking from a bad heater core. Any smell of antifreeze? I had this issue on another car but ordinary window cleaner was effective until the stop leak I put in the rad sealed the leak.

Spock

"Live long and prosper"
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 08:00 PM
I'll Be Watching You!

Year: 2007
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Trader Score: 2 reviews
You all do realize this topic is 2 years old and the OP hasn't logged into the site since 4/2014 right? It looks as though the 'film' could be window tint residue being on the INSIDE of the window. Not that it makes a difference being that the OP has probably moved on by now.......

John
2007 Pontiac Torrent, 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Last edited by sousa632; 07-02-2015 at 08:02 PM.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 08:09 PM

One more thing to try: Warm water with liquid dish soap and a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser pad. Don't laugh; its amazing what those cleaning pads can do.

Spock
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 08:14 PM
I'll Be Watching You!

Year: 2007
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Trader Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
One more thing to try: Warm water with liquid dish soap and a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser pad. Don't laugh; its amazing what those cleaning pads can do.

Spock
It is.... look at my 2003's project thread and you'll see. But again...... pointless offering suggestions on a topic this old, to a user that has not logged into the site in about 1.5 years...

John
2007 Pontiac Torrent, 2013 Hyundai Sonata GLS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page