Cleaning Your Engine - Page 3 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 11:44 PM
Devoted Member

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mmmfloorpie Send a message via MSN to mmmfloorpie Send a message via Yahoo to mmmfloorpie
What do your mechanics say when you take it in to get something fixed/oil change?

This jellybean's got a hard candy coating

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 09:16 AM
Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to DLC360
QUOTE (mmmfloorpie @ Apr 18 2009, 11:44 PM)
Quote:
What do your mechanics say when you take it in to get something fixed/oil change?[/b]
The only time anyone in a "shop" gets to see it is in the winter when I take it in for oil changes and they are always going crazy asking about it, they love it. I usually do all my own work so the shops dont see it, in the winter I dont change my own oil becasue of the snow and the wifes mustang in the garage.
I did go to a Ford dealer a couple weeks ago for a $50.00 test drive and when the salesman looked at my car, he wanted it really bad for the lot, but wouldnt give me a price unless I was going to sign a deal for a new car. The most common comment I get is "why would you do that to a taurus??" Then I ask why would you mod any car ?? To make it look better and a personal reflection of how you treat your ride. Here are some shots on the evolution of the red duratec over the last 2 years.

First was the FMC and Roush decals with the red wire loom and just a good cleaning.
[attachment=29199:Evo_1.JPG]

Next was the replacement of the Roush decal with the "vintage" duratec tag.
[attachment=29200:Evo_2.JPG]

First stage of painting, the red UIM and valve cover.
[attachment=29201:Evo_3.JPG]

Next step was the FMC decal and the 3.0 DOHC decals on the valve cover.
[attachment=29202:Evo_4.JPG]

The newest addition, the painted fuse box cover and air box with new K&N decals.
[attachment=29203:Evo_5.JPG]

The best thing, I have less that $100. in all of this and I still have the original parts in the garage if I ever need them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Evo_1.JPG (32.0 KB, 331 views)
File Type: jpg Evo_2.JPG (61.2 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg Evo_3.JPG (53.1 KB, 356 views)
File Type: jpg Evo_4.JPG (63.7 KB, 404 views)
File Type: jpg Evo_5.JPG (72.4 KB, 314 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DLC360 2003 Taurus SE Wagon.
A daily driver that thinks its a show car.
December 2007 COTM, August 2011 ROTM
Aug. 2010 T.S.O.C. COTM & 2010 T.S.O.C. COTY
24 Time Award & Trophy Winner
03/31/2006 - 04/11/2012

Presently driving,
2011 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport 3.0L V6
2011 Audi A3 5 Door (mini wagon) 2.0 turbo 4cyl.
1985 Corvette with 1992 LT1 V8 (400hp)
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-26-2011, 10:01 PM

Chapter: Northeast

Bump from a few years ago, but I wanted to add a Duratec stand point from this.

I have washed quite a few engines before and haven't really had any problems. I'd say I've washed at least 20-30 engines or done it that many times should I say. However, I suggest when washing that you really do take care. I just fried 1-2 coils by getting (literally) a light spray on them. Perplexing though is that it was the back (firewall) coils that went. Don't ask me how those got the water on them (because they were still dirty compared to the engine) but they went. I think it was 4 and possibly 5 that is toast now.

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 09:37 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
4&5 are front bank (bank#2).
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Dwk

Trader Score: 5 reviews
Take extra care on a duratec to stay away from spraying the plug boots. Make very sure they fit tight on the plugs and are sealed at the base properly. The '03 I purchased last fall had water in 4 of the 6 plug wells probably from the dealer 'detailing' the car before I picked it up. I used compressed air to blow them all out clean before even removing and replacing the plugs in this case but would be good to visually check the wells- at least the front three for water.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 04:49 AM

I know this is an old thread, but I just came across it and have something to add (or reiterate) for anyone else looking at this thread for basic engine cleaning tips:

Don't spray a hot engine with cold water (as austex04 says, but contrary to what some others here say). It can warp the aluminum heads and cause a (or two) blown head gasket. It may be rare, but it can happen.

That's what happened with my 1994 Taurus's 3.8 engine a few months after I got the car in the winter of 2006. I drove it to a car wash to clean the engine bay to impress my brother, and by the time I got to the car wash, the engine was hot. The first thing I did when I got there, was to wash the outside of the car. That took about 15 minutes, during which time the engine was cooling, but apparently not enough, even though ambient temperature was about 55-60 F. Next I opened the hood and started spraying the engine with the car wash's pressure hose's degreaser, soapy water, and rinse water. Naturally the water was cold. I remember thinking to myself this brilliant thought: "I've never cleaned a car engine before, so I don't know if spraying it with water is a good idea, but if it isn't, I'll have learned something."

The engine bay got clean, but when I started up the engine, I noticed I wasn't getting any heat from the cabin heater, though it had been delivering full heat just before I shut off the engine prior to the cleaning. I thought it might be a wet electrical connector, but the no-heat problem didn't go away (luckily just inconvenient for me, because I was living in the San Francisco East Bay at the time, which doesn't get terribly cold in the winter).

Gradually over the next few weeks, the engine began showing signs of a blown head gasket: overheating; oil in the water and water in the oil--I forget which happened first, but it wasn't long before the other happened too; and eventually smoke from the tailpipe. I was able to limp along for about a year, frequently replacing coolant and driving easy, but the problems eventually got to be too much to live with, so I had a mechanic take a look. He tracked all of this down to a warped rear head no longer applying enough pressure to its head gasket, causing leaks there, and this also had caused a small channel to be eaten into the head gasket from one of the cylinder bore holes to the outside world. The warped head also had an extenuating circumstance that may have made it more susceptible to being trouble even if just slightly warped: there was a kind of "rivulet", a channel that looked like a miniature riverbed, running from the edge of one of its cylinder bore holes to the outside edge of the head. It looked like a defect in casting that had always been there, and it may have been located where the warp occurred, increasing the chances of decreasing the integrity of the gasket at that location.

Since the no-cabin heat problem started immediately after I had washed the engine, and was fixed immediately upon replacement of the warped head and blown gasket, this is why we concluded that my washing the hot engine with cold water may have warped the head, and that this reduced pressure in the coolant system, preventing hot coolant from being diverted into the lines leading to the heater core.

So, the mechanic replaced the warped head instead of having it machined back to flatness (it would have required too much machining to remove the rivulet), and he replaced both head gaskets, and I haven't had any of these symptoms since then--cabin heat immediately returned, no overheating (until later when the old coolant hose to the radiator burst while driving), etc.

Last edited by JohnSawyer; 03-26-2013 at 05:51 AM.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-26-2013, 08:32 AM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Southeast

Trader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bull geek Send a message via MSN to bull geek
Sorry John, but that sounds rather far fetched. Sounds more coincidental. Considering the design from the factory for the Essex engine block to head mating surfaces (as shown by Barkentine), it's no wonder the 3.8s blown head gaskets.

Engines do not go down the road bone dry in the rain. Rain water splashes up on the 1st and 2nd gens especially since they have no undercarriage splash shield/air dam to speak of.

--Nick
-'66 Ford Country Squire wagon 390/C6
-'87 & '89 Mercury Colony Park wagons 302 EFI/AOD
-'90 Lincoln Town Car 302 EFI/AOD
-'03 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L/4R70W

former '87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan, '00 Taurus SEL 3.0 24V
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-27-2013, 01:18 AM
Technical Advisor

Yes, I also tend to believe that it was more coincidence than anything. You don't know how it was treated before you bought it. Maybe the belt started slipping after you got it wet and that's why you lost heat? Slipping belt caused it to overheat and damaged the heads? Like Nick said the 3.8L has an extreme propensity to blow head gaskets, so it's more of a question of when vs. if. You probably would have needed to do them at some point regardless of the engine wash.

I agree spraying ice cold water on the engine (especially the exhaust and cats) might create some thermal stresses and should be avoided when possible. Up here the water is hot so I think that would be acceptable to use carefully after letting the engine sit for a few minutes. You want to be much more careful about where you spray and how hard. Alternator, battery, fuse box, and fluid reservoirs should be protected, and avoid spraying around ignition components, especially if you have a DOHC (avoid spraying the cam covers because the water can run down the plug wells).
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 02:14 PM
Devoted Member

Year: mult
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

I have washed many a motor at the car wash with no more ill effects then wet distributors. I also have a hot water hose in my garage that works nicely as well. The best degreaser I have found is called oil eater which I use all the time. I apply it diluted with a garden sprayer.

2006 Vulcan 64k GF daily driver
2003 Vulcan 92k My daily driver
2000 Vulcan 115k saved from the scrap yard
1991 3.8 207k drove to junk yard, 1988 Vulcan lost in divorce
2009 Impala 3.0 18k my nice car
1996 F250 Powerstroke my toy-pristine lots of mods
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 11:26 AM
Sam
breeves002

Year: 2008
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.5L Ti-VCT V6

Garage
Trader Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
I have washed many a motor at the car wash with no more ill effects then wet distributors. I also have a hot water hose in my garage that works nicely as well. The best degreaser I have found is called oil eater which I use all the time. I apply it diluted with a garden sprayer.
The degreaser I use is in a purple bottle and does wonders. However it will remove all the skin from your hands if you don't wear gloves.

Sam

2017 Fusion Energi Platinum
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP Whipple Stage 2

Moved On:
2014 Focus Electric
2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2000 Sable LS Premium Duratec
1997 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page