Cleaning Your Engine - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 09:43 PM

Chapter: Midwest

Trader Score: 0 reviews
I've cleaned many engines down at the spray wash joint. I always leave the motor running and keep the nozzle a foot or so away. Be careful around the pulleys. If you spray that area too much, you'll blown out the lube and end up with a squeak. I am planning on doing mine again this Friday. I'll try to take pics and post them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 SHO Livernois Dynotune

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 10:37 PM
Technical Advisor

Chapter: Southeast

Trader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bull geek Send a message via MSN to bull geek
I was too chicken to use a hose. So some rags, water, and quick detailer spray is what I used.

--Nick
-'66 Ford Country Squire wagon 390/C6
-'87 & '89 Mercury Colony Park wagons 302 EFI/AOD
-'90 Lincoln Town Car 302 EFI/AOD
-'03 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L/4R70W

former '87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan, '00 Taurus SEL 3.0 24V
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 12:44 AM
Devoted Member

I would never clean the engine while it's running out of fear water and/or moisture could get sucked into the engine somehow, whether it's a leaky intake, or anything else.

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to skindred Send a message via Yahoo to skindred
QUOTE (Dave SES @ Mar 24 2009, 09:43 PM)
Quote:
I've cleaned many engines down at the spray wash joint. I always leave the motor running and keep the nozzle a foot or so away. Be careful around the pulleys. If you spray that area too much, you'll blown out the lube and end up with a squeak. I am planning on doing mine again this Friday. I'll try to take pics and post them.[/b]
Thanks maybe you can show how far you hold the hose away from the engine. Take some before and afters??

Ankla->Stinking
Skindred->Ratrace
NonPoint->March of war
Karnivool->shutterspeed
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 06:57 PM

Well, I didn't take before or during pictures. Sorry. It wasn't really too dirty. But now, it looks great! Yesterday I checked all the hoses, tubes and wire connections to be sure.

As I washed, I held the tip of the nozzle about 18-24". You have to insert the nozzle a little to get to the Trans housing. Stay away from the pulleys and belts (I had a slight squeak after the wash that went away pretty quickly, probably the belt)! Stay away from the exhaust manifold (a little bit will steam up).

First, I sprayed it down with the engine cleaner. Then, I used the soap (which is usually hot). Then rinse well and finish up with spot-free. I used about seven or eight minutes. Take a good long ride afterwards.

If your engine is reall bad, don't try to get it all the first time. Do it maybe every six months. After a year and three washes, it should look pretty good.

I don't recommend anybody doing this, of course. It is at you own risk!

2012 SHO Livernois Dynotune

post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 07:24 PM
mwt
Crazy Devoted Member

I have washed my car engines at the car wash since I was a kid.
Back in the day you would always get moisture in the Distributor cap and have to take it off and dry it out.

Just don't stick the wand 2 inches from electrical connectors and stuff and you will be fine.

Get it clean to begin with and then keeping it clean requires very little effort.

I also spray everything with Tire foam.

Looks good and protects.

Had one time that I did it and the belt squeeled and wouldn't shut up. The belt was worn out so I Figure that was the real reason.

Mike

"If you're a fan of getting into fat girls' pants, Dave Matthews Band CDs are the greatest invention since a ham on a fishing pole.

If I had known there was going to be a test I would have studied

94gl Vulcan totalled 4-01-04
99 LX FFV-purchased 4-17-04 totalled 5-17-06 untotalled on 9-2-07 and back on the road
New Paint coming soon
2000 SES Duratec

2000 SEL Duratec this thing has everything but a spoiler
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 10:37 PM

Chapter: Southeast

Send a message via AIM to michakaveli
Key points.
- Don't wash your engine hot. Best to wash when it's cool / luke warm at best.
- Protect all vital electronic components with a protective covering (i.e. aluminum foil is great)
- use of a good APC (All Purpose Cleaner) in a diluted solution is best for normal/maintenance cleaning. Only use full strength if need be
- Don't let the soap solution dry, rinse frquently if need be
- use of a brush to agitate soiled areas
- when using a pressure washer, never use full stream or close proximity to the engine. I usually keep the end of the turbo nozzle 5 or so feet from the surface being rinsed, just enough to get some water coverage to rinse the area, nothing further
- using compresed air or a vacuum with blower feature, blow dry the engine compartment
- wipe remaining areas with MF towel
- apply engine dressing of choice (optional)
- start the car and let it warm up, then go for a drive. This helps to dry out of remaining water hidden in crevices, etc...
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 10:32 AM

Touchy subject here.

Some say "clean your motor".

Some say "Don't"

My second car was a 1979 Toyota Corolla. I bought it from these 2 old ladies for $400 and the inside and the outside was like brand new. I bought it in 1993. The car was immaculate to say that it was as old as it was. I popped the hood, and the motor looked brand new. After a short test drive, and putting cash in their hands, their parting words were: "Keep the car clean. Wash off the motor. A clean motor is a good running motor. Take care. Thanks again, Bye"

Those words stayed with me because I was not in a position to argue. The car was in excellent condition in 1993 and looked just as good as it did in 1979. That says a lot about the ladies' practice of continually washing the motor through the years (they were the original owners).

Pic of the Corolla:

So, through the years, I have remembered just what those ladies said. And I DO clean my motor. I do not make a practice of spraying the motor with a high pressure hose.

Just last weekend I took the Blue Bull to the car wash, and this is what I did:

1. I killed the engine & let it cool a few minutes.
2. I popped the hood and sprayed some Orange Degreaser Spray that I bought from the Dollar Tree.
3. Let the degreaser sit on the engine a few minutes while I washed the rest of the car
4. Rinsed of the motor without using the high pressure spray. DID NOT USE the high pressure spray.
5. Sprayed some more degreaser on the motor
6. Let the degreaser sit while I rinsed off the rest of the car.
7. Rinsed off the degreaser.
8. Lightly sprayed tire cleaner (from the car wash - not the kind you buy in a can) on the motor.
9. Let the tire cleaner sit on the motor while I cleaned my tires
10. Rinsed the tire cleaner off the motor.
11. Put the hood down, and rinsed off the hood.
12. Voila:

I don't clean my engine every time that I wash my car because I do feel that there are risks involved with spraying water and chemicals on the electrical parts. I do not clean the engine with a tooth brush. That thorough cleaning is reserved for my CB550. (The engine is smaller, and it is a lot harder to keep clean because it is exposed to the elements when I drive it, so I feel it is my obligation to get in there with a toothbrush and clean it properly.)

If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand...

The Blue Bull

|
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Devoted Member

Send a message via AIM to 93 sable
I've never covered components when washing engines. Worst that has happened is that on cars with distributors I'd have to take the distributor cap off and dry it out, or on cars with plugs recessed into the head (DOHC engines) I've had to dry out the plug wells.

I've got to clean my engine this year. Cleaning it then spraying it down with tire shine or some other oily stuff works good as a protectant for all the exposed metal and also helps keep nuts and bolts from corroding / rusting as quickly.

post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 02:31 PM
Devoted Member

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to DLC360
Back in the day I would sray wash my motor all the time, but over the years I learned some important things.
1) ELECTRONICS dont like water, high pressure or not so I try my best to keep water off of them.
2) If you fix the leaks and clean the mess, it wont get dirty as fast.
3) Wipe the motor down by hand, use spray detailing cleaners and finish sprays. I do mine almost every week in nice weather when I wash the car. If its clean to start, just a damp towel will get the dust off.
4) Dont let it get dirty and messy, take pride in your ride and make sure it looks as good as the rest of the car.

[attachment=29159:Motor_finished_2sm.JPG]
This was last fall, before the winter mess and dirt.

[attachment=29160:Red_engine_5sm.JPG]
This was just last week, the first quick clean of the season with more to come tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motor_finished_2sm.JPG (77.0 KB, 1788 views)
File Type: jpg Red_engine_5sm.JPG (103.5 KB, 561 views)

DLC360 2003 Taurus SE Wagon.
A daily driver that thinks its a show car.
December 2007 COTM, August 2011 ROTM
Aug. 2010 T.S.O.C. COTM & 2010 T.S.O.C. COTY
24 Time Award & Trophy Winner
03/31/2006 - 04/11/2012

Presently driving,
2011 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport 3.0L V6
2011 Audi A3 5 Door (mini wagon) 2.0 turbo 4cyl.
1985 Corvette with 1992 LT1 V8 (400hp)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page