thefranchise713's 2018 Toyota Prius Prime Advanced - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By thefranchise713
  • 1 Post By thefranchise713
  • 1 Post By sheila

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2017
Model: OTHER
Engine: OTHER

Trader Score: 0 reviews
thefranchise713's 2018 Toyota Prius Prime Advanced

With the Explorer now gone, a much smaller and oft-maligned vehicle has taken its place.

Meet Brian, my new 2018 Prius Prime Advanced. I'll write up a little review later in the week/weekend, but for now, ask me anything.

Oh, and if you can figure out why I named it Brian--win a virtual cookie.
sheila and AdmiralSparklez like this.

thefranchise713

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow my new story with the Bull's taller, older sister:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of a stronger neighborhood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

I've got about 1,300 miles on Brian right now. Some notes:

-This car is quieter than you might think.
-This car is more fun to drive as a full EV than a hybrid, but driving it as a hybrid isn't bad at all.
-This car is roomier than a compact should feel.
-It's also lower to the ground than I'd like, but we all knew that.
-Observing 56-60 MPG pretty solidly when in hybrid mode.
-Fit and finish is FANTASTIC on this vehicle. Ford, take some notes, because every car review I watch on you now lampoons your laziness and inattention to detail.
-Low points of the car are cargo space (expected because PHEV) and the touch screen with no useful infotainment system, whatsoever.

We do have issues, however:
-My steering wheel has been off-center a hair more than I would like (even after accounting for road crown), so I asked it be adjusted. I figured one quick visit to the alignment machine would do that. Turns out the alignment was off in 3 places and they perceived a slight pull that I never noticed. They believe a tire is bad, so they ordered a new one for Monday. But, end of winter, we can't say that I didn't hit a few bad potholes.

thefranchise713

Our lives are a series of missions, aided by our gifts and talents, in pursuit of a stronger neighborhood.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

So, the car now stands at 4,700 miles. And I have to say, it's been quite a great experience with the Prime.

Today, I performed the first scheduled maintenance with the selling dealer, but also asked them to revise the alignment for the third time. This time, they did get it correct.

I also had the car on a 1,200 mile roadtrip through downstate New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Vermont, in which it performed flawlessly with a solid 60 MPG return.

This Toyota may be replaced with another Toyota when it is time. Ford, take notes. There's items I miss about the Taurus and Explorer, but I don't miss the drama that came with either vehicle, particularly with the Explorer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_be48.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	208751   Click image for larger version

Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_be50.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	208753  
sheila likes this.

thefranchise713

Last edited by thefranchise713; 05-18-2019 at 07:39 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 07:48 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Family Guy's "Brian" (the Prius driving dog)???
thefranchise713 likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

PRECISELY!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-18 at 9.05.14 PM.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	208755  

thefranchise713

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:21 PM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Me want virtual cookie, lol!!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator

Today was a bit of an expensive day. One of the Toyo Nanosomething A29s caught a nail, and this is after already having one of the Toyo tires replaced due to a pull that allegedly the tire was causing.

Went to a local tire shop, who declined to patch and couldn't get the new tire until Monday at about $120 all in. I've hated these tires from the start, so I made the entirely rational (sarcasm) decision to throw the baby out with the bathwater and put on four tires I can tolerate rather than to buy another one of a tire I can't get in a pinch and can't stand anyway.

So, while I don't believe it's an LRR tire, I went with the tried and true Altimax RT43 from General at all four corners. So far, the tire is quieter in all respects and should have far superior wet performance than the tire that it replaced. I also pushed the gentleman a bit at Mavis Discount Tire, who took it down from $80 a tire down to $75 and fudged some other numbers as well. I was out for well, well under $500 and that's with their sorta-meh-but-why-not road hazard warranty. Unfortunately, the car does drive noticeably heavier than before, but that's also with less than 50 miles on the tires and A/C cranking at a fairly significant duty cycle. Even though the compressor is all electric on this car and not belt driven, I have felt the drag even before the tire swap.

Overall however, MPG has continued to increase, even without charging, to well over 60 MPG calculated the old fashioned way (though the car's guess-o-meter is a little generous, about 3-4 MPG high. Which, on 60 MPG, truly is a smaller margin of error than most cars at 20 MPG.)

Total mileage is about 6400 or so. Only other defect I've noticed on the car is that I think the driver's door has a little buzz with the right bass hit, but most cars I've owned have suffered similarly.

thefranchise713

Last edited by thefranchise713; 06-08-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page