Replacing Oil Pan Gasket On 96 Gl - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2004, 02:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 994
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
WesX has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Thumbs up

I have a 96 GL and I have an oil leak that seems to be getting worse. I went to the dealer and they told me it was the front oil pan gasket and they want $340 to fix or replace it. I usually do all work on my car myself so I figure I can take a stab at it. I did read other posts and questions about this but none really answered exactly. How hard is it to do this? About how long would it take to do this? Do I just need to replace the gasket, oil, and filter? I also took pictures so maybe somebody with much more experiece than me could help me out somewhat. Thanks for all your help!

[img]http://www.missouri.edu/~mslgx6/images/Oil%20Leak%2001.jpg' alt='' width='600' height='450' class='attach' />
[img]http://www.missouri.edu/~mslgx6/images/Oil%20Leak%2002.jpg' alt='' width='600' height='450' class='attach' />
[img]http://www.missouri.edu/~mslgx6/images/Oil%20Leak%2003.jpg' alt='' width='600' height='450' class='attach' />
WesX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2004, 06:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 797
Dan_in_WA has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I did this very job about 2 months ago, on my '96 GL with the 3.0L Vulcan engine.

Here's the hardest part of the whole job; get past this and the rest is gravy.

To disconnect the exhaust pipe from the rear exhaust manifold, you'll need a 15mm combination wrench, a short 15mm socket and a 3/8 drive and swivel.

For the nut nearest the driver's side, I was just able to break it loose from above, with the wrench. Then, working from underneath, I was able to FINALLY get it off, working it s-l-o-w-l-y down the stud with the wrench. Plan on about 2 or 3 hours for this little job!

The other nut I was able to get onto with the 15mm socket and swivel. You might have to run one wrap of tape around the swivel, to get it to stay up while you try and work it over the stud and onto the nut. I had a pair of long 3/8" extensions on my ratchet, BTW. That whole mess wanted to do anything other than break the nut loose from the stud - I had to hold it firmly against the side of the exhaust pipe where it went up, in order to transfer any torque to the nut itself.

I'll go out and look at my car, kind of jog my memory for what all else. But this was the absolute, very worst of it.

Edit #1: You might be able to loosen the closest pan bolts and push your gasket back into place, for a temporary repair. When I did mine, I used the gasket from Ford, which is (now) a hard plastic frame that holds the sealing material. Keeps this sort of thing from happening.

Edit #2: Plan on a full weekend, from Friday night to Sunday night. I just drained and changed my oil; I didn't change the filter since the filter and oil weren't all that old.

You'll need to remove the starter motor, too. But getting the exhaust Y-pipe out of the way is the heavy hitter. I didn't remove mine completely - I just worked around it after it was down far enough to be out of the way.
Old 06-26-2004, 08:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Bob Gervais

Member Number:

Good writeup!

Also, make sure to check your PCV valve. Make sure it's not clogged, and that it has vaccuum going to it. It's not probable that there's a problem, but it's a good thing to check when repairing a blown out gasket.

Wasn't there a recall on this?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2004, 10:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 797
Dan_in_WA has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Jun 26 2004, 07:51 PM
Also, make sure to check your PCV valve. Make sure it's not clogged, and that it has vaccuum going to it. It's not probable that there's a problem, but it's a good thing to check when repairing a blown out gasket.
Oh yeah.....

Prior to doing my oil pan gasket, I also did both front and rear (%^@#&!!!) valve cover gaskets.

My PCV was clogged shut; my guess is this is why I wound up replacing these 3 gaskets.

Is this one that should be written up for the common problems section?
Old 06-27-2004, 02:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 1270
sundarpn has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I had it done my a awesome mechanic in toledo... yes diconnecting the exhaust pipe too him about 3 hours.. because the bolts/studs were frozen... and they have poor access.. he had to head the flange up till it was red hot then loosed the studs...

sundarpn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2004, 03:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Bob Gervais

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_in_WA@Jun 26 2004, 09:25 PM

Is this one that should be written up for the common problems section?
Done!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2009, 08:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 16451
james27613 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi

I always check the PCV valve when I do oil changes.

Wife '99 sable just started having an oil leak problem,
got worse over the last few days.

Checked the PCV valve, it was missing the innards !

Put a new one in place, all metal from Carquest, not a
cheap plastic that was factory installed.

Fixed it right away no more leaks.

regards
james27613 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2010, 07:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 21711
ddnguy will become famous soon enough

I tried replacing my gasket today on a '04 vulcan.

I could not drop the pan all the way because of the exhaust pipe.

I ended up putting it all back together and left it as is.

Now that I did this once. I am thinking of dropping the pan again and just pulling out the old gasket and simply bending the new one into place.

Has anyone tried this approach? I think it might just work.

thanks.
ddnguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 33226
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2006 Ford Taurus SEL, 3.0L OHV V6
cpusavant is an unknown quantity at this point

Could someone post a full step-by-step? I'm thinking about replacing the pan and gasket and could use some guidance. I've got a Haynes, but I find this place is better (Pictures would be much appreciated, too)
cpusavant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 7669
Drives: 2001 SES Vulcan OHV (U)
rickpark will become famous soon enough
Default Not to pimp my post on this subject but on the

Gen IV Vulcan Taurus, there is a way (on California emissions cars - may also apply to non-Californian and other Generation but I have no way of verifying the exhaust layout is the same on both types) to drop the pan with the Y-pipe in place.

Here is link to the post.

Edit: Wiki entry on this is here.

Last edited by rickpark; 05-04-2011 at 03:21 PM.
rickpark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.