Cruise Control Repair - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2009, 02:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 8134
Drives: 2001 Ford Taurus SES 3.0 OHV - Vulcan Engine Royal Blue - Paint Code: LA
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
ricer333 will become famous soon enough

A HUGE thank you goes out to Bull Geek on this one! All I had to do was Clean the INSIDE connectors.

If you are having issues with EITHER the Cruise Control On/Off or the +/-/Resume CC buttons try this simple procedure first.

1) Use a small flat head screw driver and insert between the outer black plastic and the soft p-leather of the steering wheel. Pry outwards and remove the entire Black assembly from steering wheel.

2) Disconnect the 3/4 pin connector from the back of the assembly. Note: There are 3 wires going into the steering wheel.

3) Use a Torx T-9 or T-7 to remove the 3 Torx screws in the back. It should not take many turns to get these out.

4) Disassemble and using Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol clean all Gold connectors with a Q-Tip.

5) Assemble in the reverse order.

If anyone has ever taken apart a video game controller (NES, SNES, N64, PSone, PS2, XBox, etc) the same principles adhere to this. There are essentially 3 pieces. The Black plastic, a rubber middle piece (used to pop the plastic back out), and a simple circuit board.

The connectors inside the indents of the rubber will collect dust/grime. This will transfer to the circuit board. When these connections are not good, intermittent or complete failure to work will result.

Remember to use Rubbing alcohol because it will not harm the electronics of the board. DO NOT USE WATER!

$2 worth of tools and $2 worth of Rubbing alcohol now my Cruise Control works just like it did out of the factory!
ricer333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2009, 04:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 1771
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 00 SEL Sedan DOHC
Trader Score: 7 reviews
Bull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond reputeBull Geek has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bull Geek Send a message via MSN to Bull Geek

Topic moved. Good post

-Silver Frost MC 2000 Ford Taurus SEL | V6 DOHC/AX4N | 198K - FOR SALE, See Thread: click

former '87 Taurus 3.0 GL sedan, '87 Taurus 3.0 GL Wagon, '97 Taurus SHO 3.4 V8 sedan
Bull Geek is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 12:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 3354
franzsanchez has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to franzsanchez Send a message via MSN to franzsanchez

My cruise control light will flash on and off real quick if I press the + or - button while driving. It never engages but simply blinks the light on the dash. Is this a sign of a cleaning, and how is that done on a 2000 model steering wheel? Also, my auto (down) feature for the driver's window does not work (the window goes up in down just fine otherwise). With this and the cruise control not working, could this be a fuse problem or wiring?
franzsanchez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 640
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2003 Ford Taurus SEL
qwertz9586 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
My cruise control light will flash on and off real quick if I press the + or - button while driving. It never engages but simply blinks the light on the dash. Is this a sign of a cleaning, and how is that done on a 2000 model steering wheel? Also, my auto (down) feature for the driver's window does not work (the window goes up in down just fine otherwise). With this and the cruise control not working, could this be a fuse problem or wiring?
[/b]
For the auto-down feature, you're sure you're pressing the button all the way down? The older cars is a press and release quickly for auto-down, but for the newer cars the button needs to be pressed down past regular down for auto-down.

If that is not the case for you, then there is a relay inside the driver's door that controls auto-down and it is independent of the cruise control.

For the cruise control, you have to press ON to activate it first (it turns off if you go below 35 MPH or turn off the engine) before pressing + or -. If that's not the case, then check the brake on/off switch on the brake pedal and make sure that switch working correctly (brake lights usually don't work if it's bad).

[ 2003 Ford Taurus SEL ] - [ 1995 Mercury Sable GS ]
Ford Lincoln Mercury Sable? A personal conveyance named after its inventor, an
assassinated ruler, a character from Greco-Roman myth and a small furry mammal.
qwertz9586 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 04:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Don't Be Stupid

Member Number: 4508
Drives: 2010 SEL 2000 Tec
Trader Score: 1 reviews
00tec-satx is on a distinguished road

The cruise light will do as you described if the module can't pull the cable for some reason. I had one that built up enough rust, it locked up. Took the front panel off and gave it a good lube.

00tec-satx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 08:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the tips. Where is this module, so that I may give it a good lube as well?
Old 01-27-2009, 11:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Don't Be Stupid

Member Number: 4508
Drives: 2010 SEL 2000 Tec
Trader Score: 1 reviews
00tec-satx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. Where is this module, so that I may give it a good lube as well? [/b]
Driver's side strut tower next to the master cylinder.

00tec-satx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2009, 09:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 8134
Drives: 2001 Ford Taurus SES 3.0 OHV - Vulcan Engine Royal Blue - Paint Code: LA
ricer333 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
For the auto-down feature, you're sure you're pressing the button all the way down? The older cars is a press and release quickly for auto-down, but for the newer cars the button needs to be pressed down past regular down for auto-down.

If that is not the case for you, then there is a relay inside the driver's door that controls auto-down and it is independent of the cruise control.

For the cruise control, you have to press ON to activate it first (it turns off if you go below 35 MPH or turn off the engine) before pressing + or -. If that's not the case, then check the brake on/off switch on the brake pedal and make sure that switch working correctly (brake lights usually don't work if it's bad).
[/b][/quote]

I do not believe that the cruise control turns off if you go below 35mph... I know that the cruise control will NOT activate if you are below 25mph. 25 seems to be the cut off.

I have never seen the Cruise Control light 'blink' when I press + or -. It is not that hard to take the black piece out and try cleaning the connectors. Follow the steps above to the 't' and you will be just fine. If that does not solve the issue, I would start tracing fuses.

Do you notice the MPH drop by (roughly) 1 mph (or increase 1 mph) when you hit the - (or +) buttons?

If you hold the - button down, does you speed slow down (at a coasting rate) until you let go of it? Does the light STAY off while you hold the button down?
ricer333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

[/quote]
I have never seen the Cruise Control light 'blink' when I press + or -. It is not that hard to take the black piece out and try cleaning the connectors. Follow the steps above to the 't' and you will be just fine. If that does not solve the issue, I would start tracing fuses.

Do you notice the MPH drop by (roughly) 1 mph (or increase 1 mph) when you hit the - (or +) buttons?

If you hold the - button down, does you speed slow down (at a coasting rate) until you let go of it? Does the light STAY off while you hold the button down?
[/quote]

No change in speed if I hit the - or + buttons. The speed does slow down if I hold coast but at a steady rate and presumably all the way to 0 if I let it. The 'cruise' light does not stay on if I hold the buttons down. Sadly I think the instructions to clean the contacts will not help with my 00 steering wheel but I will try finding the module and lubing the cable.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 4998
bwczech has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I have had similar issue with cruise control on my 2000 SEL. I am almost certain that it is the "plunger" type switch that disengages the cruise when the brake pedal is depressed (it works off of the arm of the brake pedal). There is a separate switch from the brake light. I have been able to get it to work for a period of time by simply wiggling the switch. After a while I would again get the "flickering-light" syndrome and I would have to repeat.

Now that my son is driving the car to college (car now has 146,000 miles), we can't get this to work anymore. I just ordered a new switch to see if that fixes the problem -- part number SW5955. It was only $16.00 on Amazon -- if this works, I wish I would have done this 60,000 miles ago!!

Regarding the push button contacts on the steering wheel -- have not seen a problem with those yet. However, what I do have is a similar issue with the keypad on the outside for keyless entry. I am wondering if I could do the alcohol trick to this -- it works sometimes, but seems to get bad contact. Does anyone know how to remove and reach these contacts for cleaning?
bwczech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.