3.0 Vulcan A/c Bypass Belt - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2007, 03:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 12496
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
tators has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Been having some bad growling noises in the engine around the belts...

2001 SES 105k miles 3.0 Vulcan

Ended up pulling the A/c Compressor today, and installed a shorter belt to be able to drive the car till I can repair the pulley/clutch , reinstall and re-charge the system...

I read about using the shorter belt on here but nobody gave the belt lenght... It was mentioned that the 3.0 vulcan in 1995 was available without A/C so the belt from that application could be used.. I ended up buying a 812K6 belt at autozone... thats an 81.2 inch 6rib belt...

IT ended up being slightly too short. !!! after monkeying with it for awhile, I finally gave up and wend and bought a longer belt...

The next longer belt they had in stock was an 822K6.. This belt worked great !!

AGAIN- The belt I used to bypass my a/c on my 2001 SES Vulcan was a 822K6 incase someone else is looking for the info, maybe it will save them an extra trip to the parts store

tators is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2007, 10:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 640
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2003 Ford Taurus SEL
qwertz9586 will become famous soon enough

Cool thanks for the info. I'll add this to the How-To forum.

[ 2003 Ford Taurus SEL ] - [ 1995 Mercury Sable GS ]
Ford Lincoln Mercury Sable? A personal conveyance named after its inventor, an
assassinated ruler, a character from Greco-Roman myth and a small furry mammal.
qwertz9586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 15097
dnxracer has a little shameless behaviour in the past

So is that the size belt i should get for my 97 taurus Vulcan
dnxracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 16072
Mercury has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
So is that the size belt i should get for my 97 taurus Vulcan
[/b]

Do you plan to bypass the a/c compressor?

If so, then yes.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member Number: 17465
noninsomniac has a little shameless behaviour in the past

i have a 2005 taurus se vulcan 3.0 and wish to bypass the a/c would this belt work for me and anyone have any routing diagrams 4 it

or have their been any major changes
noninsomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 2711
gamefanatic has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
i have a 2005 taurus se vulcan 3.0 and wish to bypass the a/c would this belt work for me and anyone have any routing diagrams 4 it

or have their been any major changes
[/b]
freakyliciousfishy - Autozone has the routing guide for your car.

It does make a difference which way you route it not only for the direction it turns each pully, but also the length of the belt. I am currently working on a 2002 Mercury and started off with the 822K6, but found it to be a tad short. So I ended up going with the 827K6 (82.7 inch) belt from Autozone.

One way to measure is to pull a piece of rope the distance of the belt pattern and then measure the rope when done. Or just pull your measuring tape the distance. It should get you in close, but these belt sizes should be close to what you have. Also you will need to account for any aftermarket pully sizes such as the Shosource crank pulleys.

Keep in mind that you may need to pull the Air Conditioner or at least the pully to make the routing work as it gets right up against it in the case of the vulcan. If the pully is broke just disconnect the power to the magnet and you can probably file enough off that you don't have to take it out if you don't have the tools / desire...
Vulcan III - '02 Tan Sable LS
SHO-HIS-Love - '96 Medium Willow SHO
gamefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 16309
mmahoney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I just completed this job on my '02 Vulcan and the belt length I used was 82 inches and it was just right. You could probably use any length between 81.75 and 82.25, and the Gatorback part numbers are 4060822, 817, and 827. Or just ask the parts shop for an 82 inch 6 rib belt.

No problem with A/C pulley clearance, there seems to be a few millimeters clearance between the new belt placement and the A/C pulley.
[attachment=29728:ac_bypass_web.jpg]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ac_bypass_web.jpg (41.4 KB, 47167 views)
mmahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 22271
postroad has a little shameless behaviour in the past

QUOTE (mmahoney @ Jun 7 2009, 05:45 PM)
Quote:
I just completed this job on my '02 Vulcan and the belt length I used was 82 inches and it was just right. You could probably use any length between 81.75 and 82.25, and the Gatorback part numbers are 4060822, 817, and 827. Or just ask the parts shop for an 82 inch 6 rib belt.

No problem with A/C pulley clearance, there seems to be a few millimeters clearance between the new belt placement and the A/C pulley.
[attachment=29728:ac_bypass_web.jpg][/b]
This is an excellent post. I bought an 82.5" belt from NAPA, but it seems too long by several inches (loose before I touched the tensioner). Possibly I routed it wrong. I'l try again. I did notice that there seemed to be plenty of clearance between the belt and the AC pulley. This will save many $ and lots of time.

Did you also discinnect the clutch wiring to prevent electrical loading? Possibly this is easier done by removing the fuse? Just need to find it....
postroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 24056
gto1967ho has a little shameless behaviour in the past

QUOTE (postroad @ Sep 2 2009, 08:38 AM)
Quote:
QUOTE (mmahoney @ Jun 7 2009, 05:45 PM)
Quote:

[attachment=29728:ac_bypass_web.jpg][/b]
This is an excellent post. I bought an 82.5" belt from NAPA, but it seems too long by several inches (loose before I touched the tensioner). Possibly I routed it wrong. I'l try again. I did notice that there seemed to be plenty of clearance between the belt and the AC pulley. This will save many $ and lots of time.

Did you also discinnect the clutch wiring to prevent electrical loading? Possibly this is easier done by removing the fuse? Just need to find it....
[/b][/quote]

Hi all,
Just wanted to say that this board is a valuable resource for me! I bypassed the A/C today with an 81.5 in. belt. It was a perfect length for my daughter's 2004 Taurus. I also pulled the A/C relay from under the hood. Thanks to all, I don't have to worry about her breaking down along the busy roadway.
I will use this forum in the spring when I will replace the A/C clutch assembly.

gto1967ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 24592
willdous39 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Smile

Hi all

I just bypassed my a/c with a shorter belt from O'Reily's and it was a K06820 and it fit perfect. The only problem was that the belt rubbed right against the a/c pulley. My questions are, can I just take off the pulley it's self without taking the compressor off, and how, and was the diagram shown also good for a 2005 Taurus SE? If anyone can supply a diagram or talk me through getting the pulley off would be greatly appreciated.
willdous39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement