Squealing Accessory/serpentine Belt - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2007, 01:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 8134
Drives: 2001 Ford Taurus SES 3.0 OHV - Vulcan Engine Royal Blue - Paint Code: LA
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
ricer333 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

First, let me start by stating that I am a relative newbi to car maintance and these procedures are very simple.

Engine: 3.0L Vulcan

Symptoms: Squealing coming from serpentine belt at a cool startup (i.e. sitting overnight, cool engine). The squealing tends to last about 10-15 mins and dissipates when engine has reached NORMAL operating temperature.

Tools:
The easiest way is to purchase a serpentine belt removal tool from your local shop (you may rent one as well). The average cost for this tool is $25-30. I opted for the purchase so that I may keep the tool in my trunk for those mishaps in the future... along with a new belt!
15mm 6pt or 12pt socket - comes with the serpentine belt removal tool.

Step 1: Remove the belt!
Place the serpentine belt removal tool with a 15mm socket onto the tensioner pulley bolt and rotate the bolt towards the front of the car (clockwise). This will relieve the tension on the belt and allow you to remove the belt.

Step 2: Inspect the belt.
The belt should not have cracks that run parallel to the grooves. It is okay for the belt to have some minor cracking that run perpendicular to the grooves (as the belt does twist and turn through the pulley system). If you belt shows signs of wear, replace the belt.

Step 3: Inspect the pulleys.
There are two pulleys on the 3.0 Vulcan that are apparently notorious for wearing out: The Tensioner pulley and the Idler pulley. They are the two pulley's that do not have any grooves on them (flat side of the belt goes against them). To test the pulleys, spin them. They should spin easily but quickly stop spinning. This is due to the fact that each pulley contains grease to coat the bearings inside. When there is no grease, the pulley will either (1) make a grinding noise or (2) spin easily and for a long amount of time (8-10 seconds). In either case where the pulley does not stop smoothly & quickly, the pulley has to be removed!

Step 4: Removing/Replacing the pulleys.
Then tensioner and idler pulleys each have a 15mm bolt on them that connects them to the engine block. Removal is towards the back of the engine (counter-clockwise). Remove the entire bolt and KEEP ALL THE PARTS. When purchasing the new pulley from a local part store, ONLY the pulley will be sold. Transfer the bolt and washer(s) that came off the old pulley to the new pulley and tighten down.

Step 5: Re-install belt.
The belt will go back on. One quick tip: The most common way will lend two pulleys to be last, the Alternator and the Idler pulley. It is easiest if the Alternator pulley is looped first leaving the Idler last. Because the idler pulley does not contain grooves it is easier to slip on. Also, use the Serpentine Belt tool to take tension off to assist in belt realignement.

Last: Before completing the job!
Ensure that the belt is flush with all the pulleys that have grooves (Alternator, Crankshaft, Water-pump, A/C, and Powersteering). If the belt is not properly aligned, when starting the car, the belt may shred! Also, ensure that the routing diagram is followed completely. Mis-routing the belt can cause serious damage.

Test it!
Start the car up and ensure that all the pulleys are running. Stand back before just putting your face down there though! The real test usually is when the engine has had plenty of time to cool down (i.e. mornings).

Hope this write-up, although simple, does help newbies like myself!

Serpentine Belt Routing Diagram (About.com)

ricer333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2008, 01:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 14817
nctaurusowner98 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I had just replaced my belt and it was squeellin. A mechanic friend suggested that i simply grab a bar of soap, and with the engine running, run the bar of soap under the belt, and whalla, the squel has gone away and not come back. Just a simple trick.
nctaurusowner98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 10358
97redwagon has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I just replaced a low rent squeeler from Dayco that lasted less than a year with a Goodyear Gator back. I hope this one lasts longer.
Does anyone know what the factory length was. This belt is 85.5 inches. and I have seen belts advertised for the Vulcan 3.0 from 82 to 88 inches...
97redwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member Number: 10882
SamH has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'm about to replace the squealing belt on my 2000 Sable - looked though the Haynes manual and thought JFC, could they make this a bigger PIA? Two questions

Quote:
Place the serpentine belt removal tool with a 15mm socket onto the tensioner pulley bolt and rotate the bolt towards the front of the car (clockwise). This will relieve the tension on the belt and allow you to remove the belt.

The belt will go back on. One quick tip: The most common way will lend two pulleys to be last, the Alternator and the Idler pulley. It is easiest if the Alternator pulley is looped first leaving the Idler last. Because the idler pulley does not contain grooves it is easier to slip on. Also, use the Serpentine Belt tool to take tension off to assist in belt realignement.

[/b]

When you rotate the pulley bolt clock wise - is this loosening the the nut on the pulley or are you releaving spring tension? Will it snap back once you let go? If so would it be easier to have one person (my wife or son) with a long cheater bar (so they can stand back out of the way) hold the tension pulley back while the other (me) installs the belt?
SamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
COTM Advisor

Member Number: 5956
Chapter: Southeast
Drives: 1995 Ford Taurus GL - Vulcan/AX4N
cflguy2005 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to cflguy2005 Send a message via MSN to cflguy2005 Send a message via Yahoo to cflguy2005

Rotating it clockwise relieves spring tension. It does help if theres a second person holding the cheater bar.

Current: 1995 Taurus GL - 3.0L OHV || 2007 Ion 2 - 2.2 DOHC
Past: 1996 Cavalier LS - 2.2L OHV
Future: Taurus SHO
"To Become a Mechanic", by Taurus Ess Aitch Oh. Great book, would read again. -TrueBlue
cflguy2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 13261
ComputerGuy68 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
First, let me start by stating that I am a relative newbi to car maintance and these procedures are very simple.

Engine: 3.0L Vulcan

Symptoms: Squealing coming from serpentine belt at a cool startup (i.e. sitting overnight, cool engine). The squealing tends to last about 10-15 mins and dissipates when engine has reached NORMAL operating temperature.

Tools:
The easiest way is to purchase a serpentine belt removal tool from your local shop (you may rent one as well). The average cost for this tool is $25-30. I opted for the purchase so that I may keep the tool in my trunk for those mishaps in the future... along with a new belt!
15mm 6pt or 12pt socket - comes with the serpentine belt removal tool.

Step 2: Inspect the belt.
The belt should not have cracks that run parallel to the grooves. It is okay for the belt to have some minor cracking that run perpendicular to the grooves (as the belt does twist and turn through the pulley system). If you belt shows signs of wear, replace the belt.

Step 3: Inspect the pulleys.
There are two pulleys on the 3.0 Vulcan that are apparently notorious for wearing out: The Tensioner pulley and the Idler pulley. They are the two pulley's that do not have any grooves on them (flat side of the belt goes against them). To test the pulleys, spin them. They should spin easily but quickly stop spinning. This is due to the fact that each pulley contains grease to coat the bearings inside. When there is no grease, the pulley will either (1) make a grinding noise or (2) spin easily and for a long amount of time (8-10 seconds). In either case where the pulley does not stop smoothly & quickly, the pulley has to be removed!

Step 4: Removing/Replacing the pulleys.
Then tensioner and idler pulleys each have a 15mm bolt on them that connects them to the engine block. Removal is towards the back of the engine (counter-clockwise). Remove the entire bolt and KEEP ALL THE PARTS. When purchasing the new pulley from a local part store, ONLY the pulley will be sold. Transfer the bolt and washer(s) that came off the old pulley to the new pulley and tighten down.

Last: Before completing the job!
Ensure that the belt is flush with all the pulleys that have grooves (Alternator, Crankshaft, Water-pump, A/C, and Powersteering). If the belt is not properly aligned, when starting the car, the belt may shred! Also, ensure that the routing diagram is followed completely. Mis-routing the belt can cause serious damage.

Test it!
Start the car up and ensure that all the pulleys are running. Stand back before just putting your face down there though! The real test usually is when the engine has had plenty of time to cool down (i.e. mornings).

Hope this write-up, although simple, does help newbies like myself!

Serpentine Belt Routing Diagram (About.com)
[/b]

Thanks for this info! my Idler just went bad tonight at 11pm. I thought it was going to be an expensive job but from the info I gathered here it is a pretty easy job. Kind of disappointed that the Haynes manual has no info on the part.

One question, when it I replace it what torque amount? My old Chilton's guide for my first 1991 Bull (R.I.P.) mentions 25-37 ft. lbs.

This site is great!
ComputerGuy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 16863
ab_sood has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I had just replaced my belt and it was squeellin. A mechanic friend suggested that i simply grab a bar of soap, and with the engine running, run the bar of soap under the belt, and whalla, the squel has gone away and not come back. Just a simple trick.
[/b]

How does the Bar of Soap Helps ?

My Bull also makes squeaking sound, when I start cold or when it rains. After few minutes, its gone.

I guess the squeaking sound is because of the belt getting hard in cold.
ab_sood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member Number: 16309
mmahoney has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I just changed my original belt out for a shorter one so I could bypass the broken A/C compressor .. 82 inches was perfect size. The right tool helps this job along a lot.
mmahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 20533
harkenelite has a little shameless behaviour in the past

is it always 100% necessary to replace the entire belt when you're hearing squeaking? can you just simply tighten it? and (if so..) how would you go about doing this?
harkenelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 16800
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2003 SES Vulcan OHV 2v Lowend.
Trader Score: 1 reviews
thesavo has a spectacular aura about

There is no tightening. It's a spring loaded tensioner. (read self adjusting)

Also, if you bring your vehicle in for warranty work, for say IDK the know bad Cam Synronizer. I do not care how sure you are that it is the cam sync. Replace the belt and save your self a $40 diagnostic fee.

Replacing the belt it a pain, trying to get it around the lower pulleys. Also Save your self the agrivation and get the Belt tensioner relase tool. I will be :- ) . Since the belt is rather wide and ridged on it;s width. You have to twist it to get it around the lower pulleys.
Also it is best to take the belt out of it's cardboard "box" and the "kinks" out. They make the belt move in ways you won;t want it to.

Additional. That diagram is also printed on the Dayco box (Advance auto Parts). Rotate the packaging, it's there. Listed a "common" ford 3.0 belt pattern.

Lot's of luck. and remember to replace it before a long trip. I almost got the XP for road side belt replacement. Almost. .

For Sale
Gen 3 & 4 Parts
Wood Grain Radio Trim

I am TheSavo on the following Boards,
Crownvic.ca, Crownvic.net, Escape-City.com, FordEscape.og, FordTaurus.net, ExplorerForum.com, F150online.com, TaurusOwners.com

Like my diagrams? they are from AutoZone.comSign-up for a free account.

Vehicle Maintenance Log. http://www.mycarprojects.net Also has an Android App.
thesavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement