Erratic Fuel Gauge Fixed (ffv’s Only) - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2006, 11:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 2398
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
freshv6power has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The fuel gauge in my ffv was inaccurate. It would occasionally display the right amount of fuel in the tank but most of the time it was way off. After searching I came across this page that had a cheap and easy fix.

Parts Needed:
Part #YF1Z-14A069-AA wiring ASY (I forgot the actual part name so I'll call it module) $40 at you local ford dealer

Tools needed:
8mm nut driver
7mm nut driver
radio removal tools $3

Time to complete: 20 minutes

STEP 5:
Tighten everything back up and reconnect the battery. Start up the car and observe the fuel gauge to see if it reflects the right amount of fuel in the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2006, 10:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member Number: 9311
sh01443 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Just replaced this yesterday. Fixed my problem. I posted an article yesterday and took photos while replacing this. No need to disconnect battery (so long as keyswitch is of)or take the climate control/radio assembly out. Sensor is accessible from underneath, but it is a bit tight to get to.
sh01443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
mwt
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 1952
mwt is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
No need to disconnect battery (so long as keyswitch is of)or take the climate control/radio assembly out. S
[/b]

Anytime you are doing something like this you should disconnect the battery simply for safety's sake.

There is no telling what a screwdriver or any other tool will come in contact with if it slips.

Mike

If I had known there was going to be a test I would have studied

94gl Vulcan totalled 4-01-04
99 LX FFV-purchased 4-17-04 totalled 5-17-06 untotalled on 9-2-07 and back on the road
New Paint coming soon
2000 SES Duratec Garage
2000 SEL Duratec this thing has everything but a spoiler
mwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 02:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Quote:
Just replaced this yesterday. Fixed my problem. I posted an article yesterday and took photos while replacing this. No need to disconnect battery (so long as keyswitch is of)or take the climate control/radio assembly out. Sensor is accessible from underneath, but it is a bit tight to get to.
[/b]
That's because you have a Gen4. On the Gen 3's it's right behind the radio unit.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

solutions to common problems or wiki?
Old 03-04-2007, 06:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 2120
Chapter: Southern
Drives: 2008 F150 FX2 / 1995 Subaru SVX LSi
ffvulcanpowah has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to ffvulcanpowah

Yes!!! Finally a solution to my posessed fuel gauge! I was so worried I would have to change out my sender (though, who knows, I still might have to ), but I'm certainly going to give this a shot and see how it works. Thanks a mill!!

"YOU WILL ALL BOW DOWN TO MY AWESOME SHO THAT IS REALLY JUST A TAURUS WITH FIDDLY BITS AND TWO MORE CYLINDERS!!!11ONE" -Dan
"If you got the lack of sense to mod a TAURUS you should be allowed to cut a hole in your hood. Let everyone see the extent of your madness" -Luke
ffvulcanpowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 10548
Taurus90Taurus05 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
The fuel gauge in my ffv was inaccurate. It would occasionally display the right amount of fuel in the tank but most of the time it was way off. After searching I came across this page that had a cheap and easy fix.

Parts Needed:
Part #YF1Z-14A069-AA wiring ASY (I forgot the actual part name so I'll call it module) $40 at you local ford dealer

Tools needed:
8mm nut driver
7mm nut driver
radio removal tools $3

Time to complete: 20 minutes

STEP 5:
Tighten everything back up and reconnect the battery. Start up the car and observe the fuel gauge to see if it reflects the right amount of fuel in the tank.
[/b]

You stated the repair for a 3/4 generation vehicle with FFV, is it a similar fix for a 1990 model (generation 1) with the 3.0 OHV motor (it does not have FFV)? I looked up the part number you provided and it is listed as "wire asy-Fuel tank g." Thank you for your assistance.
Taurus90Taurus05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 12:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Quote:

You stated the repair for a 3/4 generation vehicle with FFV, is it a similar fix for a 1990 model (generation 1) with the 3.0 OHV motor (it does not have FFV)? I looked up the part number you provided and it is listed as "wire asy-Fuel tank g." Thank you for your assistance.
[/b]
Sorry this reply is late. I believe this part is only for FFV's since there are other parts in the system that work in conjuction with it.

But there may be a similar part for non-FFV versions. I don't really know.

UPDATE

It's been 3 months since I did this repair and so far there have been no problems.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member Number: 1695
DrinkMore is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to DrinkMore Send a message via MSN to DrinkMore Send a message via Yahoo to DrinkMore

Anyone make this a WIKI yet? It should be incase new people come in with the issue.
DrinkMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member Number: 11643
lorsod has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I also tried this on my 2000 Taurus FFV and it worked great. Best $43.00 I have yet to spend on this car. Was worried I would have to remove the gas tank. My gauge said 1/3 tank when purchased in Feb. but then went to way overfull and hadn't moved till I replaced this part. Great write-up and thanks for the info.
Advertisement