My Auto To Manual Conversion - Page 20 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #191 of 194 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 11:08 PM
Spend my 02 wisely...

Chapter: Southern

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger8901 View Post
So it's good for 220hp?

As 249HP mentioned, the MTX-IV in the SHO and Tempo are almost completely different beasts. Why Ford gave them the same name is beyond me. Almost none of the parts interchange and even the internal machining on the cases is different. The gear ratios are also different, as is the final drive. 5th gear (OD) is the biggest difference between the designs though. The SHO MTX-V uses a different final drive ratio for 5th gear. The .74 5th gear is actually the 1.02 4th gear with a 2.73 final drive instead of a 3.74. When you shift into 5th, you're not shifting out of fourth but merely switching to a taller final drive. This makes 5th gear dramatically stronger in the SHO transmission. 5th gear is the weakest link in the Tempo MTX-IV.

That said, the gear ratios on the Tempo MTX-IV are slightly better suited to the low revving nature of the Vulcan. It will also turn a lower RPM in 5th gear which in this case means better fuel economy. The first four gears aren't that much weaker than the SHO MTX-4 either. It should hold up fine behind a Vulcan in a Taurus. As for if it will handle 220HP, that depends. Torque capacity is what we care about here. HP means nothing to a transmission as it isn't a measurement of power. HP is a measurement of work, meaning how much power you can produce over a given period of time. Given the weight of an '03 wagon, I wouldn't reccomend going beyond 200-210 lb. ft. of torque. For reference, the stock '03 Vulcan puts out 186 lb. ft. Even if you start modding the engine though, you're not going to get over 200 lb. ft. without boost, nitrous or increasing displacement. You'll be fine with the Tempo MTX-IV as long as you don't try to pull a heavy load in 5th gear or launch hard from a dead stop. Basically, no clutch drops. The SHO MTX-IV isn't much better with the latter anyway. The final drive is a weak point in both.

-Jonathan

Last edited by madscientist; 07-17-2014 at 01:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 194 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 11:17 PM

Chapter: West Coast

So that being said, it would be best to (1)buy the parts car and then (2)source a true SHO transaxle?
post #193 of 194 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 11:50 PM
Spend my 02 wisely...

Chapter: Southern

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger8901 View Post
So that being said, it would be best to (1)buy the parts car and then (2)source a true SHO transaxle?
I see little need for a parts car. Most of the parts you need can be picked up cheaply and easily at a junk yard.

As for getting a SHO MTX-IV, what are your honest goals here? Short of nitrous, getting 220 HP out of a Vulcan is literally a several thousand dollar proposition unless you are ridiculously good at intake/head porting and can do it yourself. Even then you'll need to pay out for a good cam, valve springs, some solid valve work, a bigger MAF and a custom tune to get it to spin the roughly 7k RPM needed to hit those kind of power numbers. If you do hit 220HP, you'll have almost no torque down low unless you spring another couple grand for a stroker kit. Nitrous isn't an easy proposition either. You're going to need head studs and some decent head gaskets to not spit a head gasket every third time you hit the juice. You'll also need a dedicated fuel system for the nitrous. Being a returnless fuel system, dry kits aren't going to work and you can't tap the existing fuel line for the fuel needed for a wet kit.

Unless you're planning to put some serious money into your Vulcan, just use the Tempo MTX-IV. It is more than strong enough for your application and the gear ratios are better suited to the Vulcan, especially in a heavy Gen 4 wagon.

-Jonathan

Last edited by madscientist; 07-16-2014 at 11:56 PM.

post #194 of 194 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 09:31 PM

Chapter: West Coast

Okay, so I've still got the Taurus wagon. However, I just bought a Hemi powered Dodge Magnum. Needless to say, the Taurus will be receiving $0.00 in performance upgrades and I will be saving up for another Hemi powered vehicle. Perhaps the 2015 Hellcat Charger. I do want to say thank you for all the information that was provided.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page