I got trouble. I need help. - Page 2 - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Northeast

Trader Score: 0 reviews
I've had this car for over 10 years and as best I can recall, there has always been some sort of visible vapor and moisture at the exhaust pipe end until it really warms up. I had asked about it before in other places and was told it wasn't abnormal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

Everything I'm reading everywhere I can find talks about leaks visible in one way or another, but I can't find anything about the rough idle (puttering) being related.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 08:56 AM

Chapter: West Coast

Rent or borrow a coolant system tester. It will tell you if there's a head gasket leak (and other coolant system leaks.) If you can't get one, drive the car to a service center like Midas, Meineke, Firestone, or whatever there is locally. Once the car cools down, it's a 2 minute job and probably shouldn't cost more than $20.

Absent any evidence of a leaky head gasket (coolant on the floor, or the chocolate milk sludginess in the motor oil) your problem could be an ignition fault, like a bad plug, wire, or a bad coil. It could be a vacuum leak--mine had a cracked pcv hose/elbow. It could be an egr fault. Could even be a weak fuel pump or clogged fuel filter.

I don't know why I should dislike you. Whatever it is you've been forgiven! Hope you get it worked out.

2001 SES Wagon. 210k and strong running.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 09:53 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Midwest
Year: 1998
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Trader Score: 1 reviews
Parts stores loan/sell kits that determine the presence of combustion gases in the coolant.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

I've got Advanced Auto, AutoZone and a few others, but they're not real close. I'll check and see what they have.

I've seen fluids on the garage floor, but I know there's a rad leak and I've had PS leaks and a couple of other issues.

Fuel pump was replaced 6 or 7 years ago.

Could be a vacuum hose I guess, but I wouldn't know how to find that.

Had an '89 Cougar with the same engine that need a head gasket, but I can't remember if the symptoms are the same. Seems to me they told me at that time that the break was off one of the exhaust ports and would not have shown in the coolant. But that was a long time ago so I'm not sure.

As far as taking it to a shop for testing, I don't have one within 15-20 miles over hilly, country roads and I don't know if it's safe to drive this that far without the risk of further damage.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 09:06 AM

Chapter: West Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Red_Wagon View Post
I've got Advanced Auto, AutoZone and a few others, but they're not real close. I'll check and see what they have.

I've seen fluids on the garage floor, but I know there's a rad leak and I've had PS leaks and a couple of other issues.

Fuel pump was replaced 6 or 7 years ago.

Could be a vacuum hose I guess, but I wouldn't know how to find that.

Had an '89 Cougar with the same engine that need a head gasket, but I can't remember if the symptoms are the same. Seems to me they told me at that time that the break was off one of the exhaust ports and would not have shown in the coolant. But that was a long time ago so I'm not sure.

As far as taking it to a shop for testing, I don't have one within 15-20 miles over hilly, country roads and I don't know if it's safe to drive this that far without the risk of further damage.
You don't seem to be able to do any of the things we've suggested. You need to pressure test the system to see if it's leaking & where. You can't go get the tools at Autozone or Advanced, and you can't drive it in for diagnosis and repairs.

Looks like you're screwed. Sorry. (God helps those that help themselves.)

2001 SES Wagon. 210k and strong running.

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 03-09-2017 at 02:41 PM.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Found a Lone Yokel Redneck shop that hadn't been around long. Not too many people knew of him or could say whether he was any good or not. Figured he probably knew a little more than I did, so I gave him a shot.

He pulled codes in his bigger machine and didn't see anything suspicious so he figured it just needed a good tune up and checkout, and I left it with him.

He ran all the tests and didn't find any problems in compression or exhaust gasses in coolant, etc. Changed pretty much everything in the ignition system as far as wires, plugs, cap, rotor, etc. and tested whatever else he could. Cap and rotor show some signs of wear, but he's pretty sure the main issue was the one wire that had apparently laid across the exhaust manifold and shorted out. That would certainly account for the misfiring and probably happened during that last couple of miles when it suddenly stated acting so bad.

None of his tests indicated a head gasket according to him.

It ran fine on the way home and idled smooth in the driveway for a few minutes. It may be a few days before I drive it far enough to see how it runs over a longer period.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Taurus Rotor & Cap.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	188754   Click image for larger version

Name:	Taurus Wire.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	188761  
sheila likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page