Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Question about transmission

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  fergawesome 
#1 ·
The transmission sometimes jerks right before I come to a stop. I recently drove the car for a 3 hour trip with now problems other than this. It shifted smooth the whole time other than stopping. I keep up with my cars maintenance and just changed the transmission fluid and filter a month ago

#2 ·
This might be a dumb question, but have you checked the fluid level correctly.... car on level surface, fluid hot and engine runing, and run the gear selector thru all gears before checking?

#4 ·
Mine does this also. When just as the car comes to a complete stop, there is a noticeable jerk. I get it on a regular basis when putting the car into park. Its like the transmission is still in gear when I put it into park, then it releases and the tension comes off of the park prawl. I can't explain it any other way. It's been doing that for a while now, even after a transmission flush.

#5 ·
Did you use MERCON V???????

I have had the issue on an other car and solved it by using a product called Tran-X. I know people don't like snake oil products but for me this helped the trans that was hanging up like that. I have used it in just about all my Taurus and has not caused any issues with my cars. Three total Taurus I have used it in and it works on some issues. I have a leaking main seal in the trans in my 2001 on startup with temps below 15 degrees F. It didn't hurt it but really didn't eliminate the issue either.

#6 ·
Fear not; it's common!

Ford equipped the fourth-generation Tauruses with inadequate transmissions. They are known for a multitude of problems, not limited to broken parking pawls, intermittent shifts between third and fourth gear due to air in the fluid, leaks around the pan gasket and torque converter seals, harsh 1-2 shifts, and yes, hard downshifts into first gear. Here's a list of grievances with the transmissions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.