Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

High idle

17K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  sheila 
#1 ·
I am currently having these problems with my 2001 taurus 3.0 liter dohc duratec.Car jerks when shifting from park to reverse and park to drive. Idles high at around 2000 rpms. On a level surface at 40 mph I'll let off the gas and and the stays at 40 until I hit the brakes. When I accelerate from a stop to 5mph and let off the gas the car keeps accelerating to 20 mph and the rpms are at 2000. I just put a new IAC in today and recently fixed my front passenger cv axle. Can anyone help please and thanks in advance

#2 ·
Your PCV must be Motorcraft. Cheap aftermarket let too much air through and they idle fast. Idle speed is managed by the air entering the intake manifold. The IAC is managed by the PCM, the other normal air is passed by the PCV which is just mechanical. My '03 DOHC stuck closed and I got really slow idle. I rushed out to get the parts house one and then I idled about 35-40 on level ground. MC fixed it and it is perfect since. Vacuum leaks will also make for fast idle as they are unplanned source of air. The PCV is way too much effort for anything but the correct part.

-chart-

#3 ·
Two issues I can think of. The high idle could be cased by a problem with the cruise control cable link.. They some times pop off and won't let the throttle plate to close. Other could be a bad IAC valve if it isn't a Motorcraft brand one. Aftermarkets just don't work well with the engine, I have been there and done that.

#13 ·
I've tried every model IAC duralast from AZ. Tv284 tv2009 and a third I can't recall. My bull is a 01 tec, AZ database shows the same IAC part number for both tec and Vulcan. In short, I've returned 4 tv284 and 3 tv2009. Each had my car idling high at startup and would accelerate without giving it gas. I dug up my OEM IAC and cleaned it with CRC electrical cleaner, (ran out of intake cleaner) it the old OEM worked like a charm. No spring is in original tec IAC.

I'd would clean the AZ part well with the spray I used and return saying you never installed it. Go to a different AZ store if one tells you they can only exchange or give store credit.

Btw, oriellys cheap IAC didn't work either. It's motorcraft or nothing on this part.

#9 · (Edited)
Important to use Motorcraft iac/pcv valve. May grab a jy iac from an '01 tec and clean/lube to try before buying a new one. I'd try to return the Autozone iac. May also check Rockauto online. Aftermarket iac tend to cause high idle. Edit: MC iac from Rockauto runs $71.99. MC pcv valve from Rockauto runs $11.12.

#16 · (Edited)
I agree.

My EFI experience goes back to 80's Fieros and in 30 or so years, I've never had an IAC go completely bad. Even on GM products, they're pretty simple. Cleaning the pintle and seat with brake cleaner and a q-tip usually gets the gunk off and restores functionality. CRC electrical cleaner and a little liquid gun lube usually fixes the shaft.

#18 ·
Cruise Control

As mentioned by another member, check the cruise control cable. I heard of the cables sticking in some Tauruses, forcing acceleration even while cruise control is disabled. Such would explain the high idle, as the cruise control cable connects to the throttle body as the accelerator cable does, opening the throttle plate and inducting too much air, to which the PCM responds to by increasing fuel (your high idle). Perhaps disconnect the cable from the throttle body and see if your problem persists.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.