Another Weird Idle Surge Issue, Help? - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

Chapter: Southern
Year: 2003
Model: Ford Taurus
Engine: 3.0L 12v Vulcan V6

Trader Score: 0 reviews
Another Weird Idle Surge Issue, Help?

Okay awhile back I had issues with a quoted idle down surge, not a normal surge, it turned out that the IACV, waa noon motorcraft so it caused the car to idle hunt and waste gas and be annoying where it would surge from like 700 rpm down to 600 back to 700. Replaced the old IACV and problem went away.

Well now, fast forward like 7 months I started noticing while parked I was getting down surges again, but this time in less obvious fluctuations, note ours idling down from around 720 rpm to about 680 frequently idle hunting, and idk why this time, coyly I be looking at replacing the IACV with a motorcade part? Or what else might cause an engine to "down" surge and it also causes the car to shake ever so slightly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-15-2016, 08:13 AM
Crazy Devoted Member

Chapter: Northeast
Year: 2003
Model: Mercury Sable
Engine: 3.0L 24v Duratec V6

Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyFreak View Post
Okay awhile back I had issues with a quoted idle down surge, not a normal surge, it turned out that the IACV, waa noon motorcraft so it caused the car to idle hunt and waste gas and be annoying where it would surge from like 700 rpm down to 600 back to 700. Replaced the old IACV and problem went away.

Well now, fast forward like 7 months I started noticing while parked I was getting down surges again, but this time in less obvious fluctuations, note ours idling down from around 720 rpm to about 680 frequently idle hunting, and idk why this time, coyly I be looking at replacing the IACV with a motorcade part? Or what else might cause an engine to "down" surge and it also causes the car to shake ever so slightly.
Watch for misfire, and A/C cycling. If you turn your A/C off like "vent" and it fixes the idle range, then you have the answer. Misfire should give a CEL.

Others causes, PCV, vacuum leaks, fuel pressure as in filter and pump.

The system adds some air/fuel with the IAC when the A/C clutch is commanded. It assumes the A/C pulls the standard load on the engine.

-chart-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page