Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Squeaky serpentine belt/engine compartment?

7K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  sheila 
#1 ·
So my Taurus sat for 3 years before it was traded to me. No engine noises on the trip home, all quiet. One day it started squeaking at an idle, getting worse as I increased RPM's. I put some oil on the alternator pulley and stopped it temporarily. I pulled the belt off and spun the alternator, no squeak or play. I started wondering if my oil hit some other part when I started the engine.

After reading a few similar threads on here, I sprayed the alternator pulley with PB blaster, this did make the problem somewhat better, decreasing the volume of the noise.

I decided to spray soapy water onto the belt itself while the engine was running. Boom-perfect silence. After thoroughly soaking the belt, it no longer makes any noise at idle. It starts chirping at 1500RPM, screams bloody murder at 2000.

Any idea what the problem is??? Could it be my belt, or maybe too much tension? Does this sound like a "harmful noise" or an "annoying noise". If I could just sit under my engine and spray soapy water on it all the time, we'd be good:D. Any help is appreciated!

#3 ·
So I should clean all the pulleys, should I try cleaning the belt also? Do I need to take anything off or just clean what I can get on the outside? One last question, are we in agreement that this does not sound like an alternator?

Thanks for your help!

#4 ·
Easy test: With the motor running and the belt squeaking just use a spray bottle and put a little water on the inside of the belt. If the squeak stops it is the the belt. From there, I would be buying a new quality belt, cleaning the pulleys and checking the tensioner. I have had a couple of times where I had the chirping belt noise on the old original belt. A new belt and a pulley cleaning fixed it right up.

#5 ·
Alternator would likely make a grinding noise if the bearings are bad.

I agree with Sheila. Replace the serpentine belt with a Goodyear Gatorback. They all squeak eventually, and many people here (including me) have been happy with the Gatorbacks, where the squealing tends to return with other brands shortly after being replaced.

#8 · (Edited)
Alternator would likely make a grinding noise if the bearings are bad.

I agree with Sheila. Replace the serpentine belt with a Goodyear Gatorback. They all squeak eventually, and many people here (including me) have been happy with the Gatorbacks, where the squealing tends to return with other brands shortly after being replaced.
Pic of house brand belt, used 1 year ~7K miles. Replaced with Gatorback and when the car was sold 4 years later, it looked like new. Some OEM belts use a compound that does not make noise when it slipps. Just causes you to loose PS when the A/C kicks in with HL on. No squeel, just a hissss. My '02 Lin Cont did that and the garage replaced everything in the PS before finding the belt 'rock hard'. Shop used Gatorback and no more issues up to when it was traded ~65K more miles. Unfortunate RA does not handle Gatorback any more.

-char-

#9 ·
Thanks for all of the help, did not know this was such a common issue. I believe this time it is the idler pulley. It appears to be wobbling as it spins, center is covered in rust and car quiets down as soon as I lube it. I may go ahead and replace the belt though, seeing as it is such a common issue. If I do so, it will probably be with the gator back, seeing as so many folks on here recommend it. Thanks for the great response!

#11 ·
I have had good luck with Gates belts or Motorcraft ones. I want to try one of the Goodyear ones one of these days.

#18 ·
Just put that exact belt on one of mine. It fit right and is quiet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.