Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

2001 Sable Transmission

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Spock 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2001 Sable LS, with the Duratec engine. It only had 40,889 miles on it when I bought it. I have had it for four days now. The transmission seems to have these weird hiccups when I'm just cruising. It almost feels like it wants to shift, but doesn't. If I get on it, it will go through the gears just fine. It doesn't slip or stutter at all. My 2004 Taurus with the Duratec acted similar, but usually when it was shifting. It now has 174,000 miles on it and no transmission work. I am going to have the transmission flushed this weekend. Any ideas on what it might be. Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Tran needs fluid exchange every 30K miles. If you are much late, may need to do it repeated. Filter at 150K if you have exchanged the pan fluid every 30K, if not done filter is important before 150K. No shop worth it's salt will flush a tranny. My Lin Cont manual has a warning about flushing.

For me, I use a 2Q glass jar with hoses and suck the fluid out the dip stick and replace the fluid. Takes me ~20 minutes. Takes ~6Q to do it. Saves a lot to remove the vent cap and clean it, leave it off while adding fluid. Remember to put it back, only on the firse bulge and it should be wobbly loose on the nipple. Need a tran fluid funel. Only Mercon V.

-chart-

#5 ·
Well, there is no drain plug in the transmission pan, so I could not do it myself. I took it to Tires Plus (Firestone) to have the pan dropped, filter replaced, transmission flushed, and new fluid put back in. They use a fluid called Versa, and they said it is compatible with the Mercon V. All I know is, the transmission is working great now. Thanks for the replies.

#6 ·
Compatable with Mercon 5 doesn't mean it is Mercon 5. Personally, I would never use anything but the fluid speced by Ford. Good luck.

Changing the fluid and filter yourself is easy, but kind of messy. And you can use the core fluid for your tranny.

#7 ·
Compatable with Mercon 5 doesn't mean it is Mercon 5. Personally, I would never use anything but the fluid speced by Ford. Good luck.

Changing the fluid and filter yourself is easy, but kind of messy. And you can use the core fluid for your tranny.
"EASY" for you to say!:lol2:

My '03 Wagon someone has overtightened two of the screws and rounded the hex off. I will likely have to use my Rotozip with thin wheel and make a screw cut in them. Sometimes, maybe too often used car has been botched by Pepboys or others.

-chart-

#9 ·
AFAIK, no pan with a drain plug is available, but you can buy generic drain plugs and braise them onto your current pan.

#13 · (Edited)
The 2001 Sable that I have sat for long periods. I just bought it a couple of months ago. I believe they had the wrong transmission fluid in there, or it was just bad. It was still nice and red. After I had all of the fluid flushed and changed, the transmission was good. I did suspect a small misfire. I drove for a couple of days with my code reader hooked up to the car, and it never threw a code. A week and a half ago, it finally threw a code. Cylinder 3 was misfiring. This past weekend I replaced the plugs, plug wires, coil pack, and the fuel injectors. I also suspected something wrong with the injectors because the car sat. After the tune up I just gave it, it's running like a totally different car. I am very happy., However, my transmission has an occasional slightly rough shift. But it sure is running good.

Edit, the car only had 40,000 miles on it when I bought it. It was hardly ever driven.

#15 ·
Thing to remember, is these autoboxes operate on hydraulic pressure, so if the ATF hasn't been changed in a loooooong time, it's likely that the filter is all gunked up and fluid flow is restricted, leading to low pressures....which can contribute to shifting issues and slipping because there isn't quite enough pressure to properly engage and hold the clutches.

#16 ·
When I had my transmission flushed, I had the filter replaced also. I stood right there and watched them do it. The tune-up I just did has been better than I expected. When I first bought the car, I was getting less than 20 mpg. After a few weeks of driving it, it got up to almost 22mpg. I am now getting just under 24 mpg. I don't know what to think about the transmission. If I get on it, it will go right through the gears without a problem. It's when I'm just driving normal that it will sometimes shift funny. What does everyone think it could be?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.