cold start rough idle - Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
Register Home Forums Active Topics Topic Finder Photos Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowAuto Loans
TaurusClub.com is the premier Ford Taurus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member Number: 30566
Chapter: Northeast
Drives: 2005 Taurus SE, vulcan, 131k
Visit: My Garage
Trader Score: 0 reviews
justapirate is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cold start rough idle

2005 taurus se flex fuel vulcan

It is now summer out here, car ran fine all through winter, and now is having a rough idle problem on a cold start. Basically car almost stalls, and RPM surges to 2-2500 for majority of cold starts. (Usually happens when car has been sitting all night and I start it for work.) Car has only actually stalled twice. No codes being thrown.

Plugs and wires were changed 2 years ago- used OEM. Oil changed 500 miles ago. IAC is clean and good condition. Tranny has been rebuilt. Car has been on ethanol-free gas for last 10k miles.

I will be going over the car looking for clues to the problem today and tomorrow. I know I should be looking for any vacuum leaks, and to check the EGR valve for issues.

Anyone have any other things I should be checking for, or advice?
justapirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crazy Devoted Member

Member Number: 10865
Trader Score: 1 reviews
sheila is a glorious beacon of lightsheila is a glorious beacon of light

I think your on the right track suspecting vacuum leaks and egr system. May clean the maf sensor and possibly check fuel pressure. Have the cmp sensor and cam sync ever been changed?

Last edited by sheila; 06-20-2013 at 11:44 AM.
sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member Number: 30566
Drives: 2005 Taurus SE, vulcan, 131k
justapirate is an unknown quantity at this point

The whole camshaft synchronizer was changed recently- it started the infamous "squeak.". The MAF was cleaned about 3 years ago, but I will check it today.

Thank you for the help! (I feel like it is the EGR or MAF.)
justapirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Technical Advisor

Member Number: 14275
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: A blue car
behlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond reputebehlinla has a reputation beyond repute

If the syncro was changed, there is a chance it was aligned improperly. That can sometimes cause a rough idle without necessarily setting a DTC.

I'd start with vacuum leaks and EGR like you said. Might also check for strong spark on all cylinders. After that move on to fuel pressure. Scan tool data would be helpful at any point too.
behlinla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Devoted Member

Member Number: 53701
Drives: 1997 Ford Taurus SHO 3.4L DOHC V8
Sable476 has a spectacular aura about

You should also make sure your IAC doesn't have a lot of carbon build up in there. If there is a lot of carbon it could intermittently stick closed or open.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
June 2013 COTM Winner

Sable476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member Number: 45588
Chapter: Midwest
Drives: 2002 Taurus SES DOHC
midlifecrisis is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wondering, but doesn't the egr valve kick in when temps exceed 2500. I don't think that this would cause the problems at a cold start. Also, just cause the IAC is clean, there could be a problem with the wires inside the IAC.
midlifecrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member Number: 52779
Drives: 2006 Ford Taurus Se
FT2006se is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2006 Taurus SE and I am only the 2nd owner of this car. It just turned over 55,000 on the odometer. Anyhow, I too had low idle problems as well which caused the car to be sluggish and my headlights,interior lights, and brake lights to have a flicker or pulsate to them. Being that my car was Very Garage Kept over the years, it most likely sat more than in was driven. When I bought it, it barely had 36,000 on it. Well come to find out, my fuel pump(electronic controlled)finally gave out, I needed a tuneup(new plugs and wires because of age even though the car has low mileage for its year) and the Idle Control module (a silver part located close to the engine on the housing of the air intake hose)was not functioning correctly. Before the repairs, the idle was just above zero. After those things were taken care of, my idle is back up to just below 1000 rpms. You can tell in the sound and pedal that it reacts and runs much smoother. Would not hurt to check these things out too.
FT2006se is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement